Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Low-fat Mexican recipes?

Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
our weight?
TIA,
-L.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

All true Mexican food is non-fat. If you go to any village in Mexico who
claim any kinship with ancient Amerindians, you will not see anything
fattening in the diet. Fully 90% is vegetarian and only occasional a turkey,
piglet, deer, fish or the like. You must add a spoonful of 'expensive' lard
to a pot of beans to make them fully digestible to the human body system.
Because of the easy availability of many fats that in the past were not so
available, many Mexicans are overdoing it. But if they stuck to basic
Nahuatl, Mexica, Mixteco/Zapoteco, etc, etc, recipes, there would be no
obesity in any of their homes.

Wayne

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> our weight?
> TIA,
> -L.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

-L. wrote:
> Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> our weight?
> TIA,
> -L.

I have two cookbooks that may be of use. One is Zarela Martinez's book
on the cooking of Veracruz, with its Mediterranean influences. Another
is "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking," by Nancy Zaslavsky.

Neither book seems to be aimed specifically at weight watchers, but
there are recipes in both that fit the bill.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

-L. wrote:
> Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> our weight?

Any good Mexican cookbook will do. I just lost 75 pounds
on a diet that used lots of Mexican foods.

The key is to eat the Mexican foods you actually LIKE the
best. Don't try to find "low fat" or "low calorie" ones.
If you eat what you like rather than what somebody tells you
is good for you, you will stick to the diet better. Just do
one simple thing: eat less. If you go to a restaurant,
ask for a doggie box and get two or three meals out of
that big gigantic plate of fat-laden food.

Doug McDonald
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Doug McDonald wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> > our weight?

> Any good Mexican cookbook will do. I just lost 75 pounds
> on a diet that used lots of Mexican foods.
>
> The key is to eat the Mexican foods you actually LIKE the
> best. Don't try to find "low fat" or "low calorie" ones.
> If you eat what you like rather than what somebody tells you
> is good for you, you will stick to the diet better. Just do
> one simple thing: eat less. If you go to a restaurant,
> ask for a doggie box and get two or three meals out of
> that big gigantic plate of fat-laden food.

I couldn't agree more.

> Doug McDonald

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> All true Mexican food is non-fat. If you go to any village in Mexico who
> claim any kinship with ancient Amerindians, you will not see anything
> fattening in the diet. Fully 90% is vegetarian and only occasional a turkey,
> piglet, deer, fish or the like.

The ate every potato they could get their hands on, and potatoes are
the most fattening food there is. They just ate fewer calories and got
much more excercise.

> You must add a spoonful of 'expensive' lard
> to a pot of beans to make them fully digestible to the human body system.

Please cite a source for the previous sentence. Really, you will have
zero credibility if you cannot back that statement up, or at least
admit that you had been incorrect.

> Because of the easy availability of many fats that in the past were not so
> available, many Mexicans are overdoing it. But if they stuck to basic
> Nahuatl, Mexica, Mixteco/Zapoteco, etc, etc, recipes, there would be no
> obesity in any of their homes.

They weren't obese because calories were scarce, not because they ate
"low-fat."

It's the processed carbs that make people obese, not the fat. Wheat
flour is a big culprit, and so is masa. Back when maize was ground by
hand, they couldn't get it nearly that finely powdered, hence it had a
lower glycemic index.
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

> Wayne
>
> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> > our weight?

My advice: lose the bread and tortillas, and the rice and potatoes.
Stick with meat, beans, tomatoes, chiles, avocadoes, fish, poultry,
nuts, and loads and loads of green veggies.

> > TIA,
> > -L.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On 15 Sep 2006 08:15:02 -0700, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
wrote:

>The ate every potato they could get their hands on, and potatoes are
>the most fattening food there is.

Actually, calorieking.com lists a raw potato, flesh and skin at 22
calories per ounce. That doesn't sound like a fattening food to me.
Now, add a bunch of butter and sour cream and I might tend to agree
with you.

--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA >
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> Doug McDonald wrote:
> > -L. wrote:
> > > Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> > > our weight?

> > Any good Mexican cookbook will do. I just lost 75 pounds
> > on a diet that used lots of Mexican foods.
> >
> > The key is to eat the Mexican foods you actually LIKE the
> > best. Don't try to find "low fat" or "low calorie" ones.
> > If you eat what you like rather than what somebody tells you
> > is good for you, you will stick to the diet better. Just do
> > one simple thing: eat less. If you go to a restaurant,
> > ask for a doggie box and get two or three meals out of
> > that big gigantic plate of fat-laden food.

> I couldn't agree more.
> >
> > Doug McDonald

I agree, too, and i just went from 250 down to 212 and am still dropping
about a half pound a week.
The secret is modest physical activity as opposed to none. Eating
smaller and fewer fatty meals but
eating regular fat free meals like cereal and skimed milk, roasted
chicken, steamed or raw vegetables
and fresh fruit.

A training buddy of mine told me that canned refried beans (watch the
label/brand) has 1% fat so
with a very little shredding of cheese for flavour among other
ingredients can make a very healthy
meal, quick, tasty and cheap.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

One minute in Google and dozens of references. Here's one;
Good, bad, or ugly, beans have become the stars of traditional and
distinctive soups in nations across the world. Many of these soups include
that "extra" bit of protein needed to a perfect nutritional dish--others
assume that they'll be served with bread or other protein rich foods to make
up the difference. Nearly all express the abundance and character of their
people, no matter where their beans of choice first set down roots. Here's a
sampling, with hyperlinks to recipes already posted on this site.
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:p...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > All true Mexican food is non-fat. If you go to any village in Mexico who
> > claim any kinship with ancient Amerindians, you will not see anything
> > fattening in the diet. Fully 90% is vegetarian and only occasional a

turkey,
> > piglet, deer, fish or the like.

> The ate every potato they could get their hands on, and potatoes are
> the most fattening food there is. They just ate fewer calories and got
> much more excercise.
>
> > You must add a spoonful of 'expensive' lard
> > to a pot of beans to make them fully digestible to the human body

system.

> Please cite a source for the previous sentence. Really, you will have
> zero credibility if you cannot back that statement up, or at least
> admit that you had been incorrect.
>
> > Because of the easy availability of many fats that in the past were not

so
> > available, many Mexicans are overdoing it. But if they stuck to basic
> > Nahuatl, Mexica, Mixteco/Zapoteco, etc, etc, recipes, there would be no
> > obesity in any of their homes.

> They weren't obese because calories were scarce, not because they ate
> "low-fat."
>
> It's the processed carbs that make people obese, not the fat. Wheat
> flour is a big culprit, and so is masa. Back when maize was ground by
> hand, they couldn't get it nearly that finely powdered, hence it had a
> lower glycemic index.
> http://www.glycemicindex.com/
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > "-L." > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us

watching
> > > our weight?

> My advice: lose the bread and tortillas, and the rice and potatoes.
> Stick with meat, beans, tomatoes, chiles, avocadoes, fish, poultry,
> nuts, and loads and loads of green veggies.
>
> > > TIA,
> > > -L.
> > >

> --Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

Most true mexican food is bland and has few calories. and you dont have
to put lard in your bean's . I cook tradional mexican and have many
recipes if you woud like some . You can e-mail me or post back . D.J

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default re : Low-fat Mexican recipes

Try google do a search for "low fat mexican recipes" this might work for
you.

-l Wrote:
> Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> our weight?
> TIA,
> -L.

'Authentic Mexican Recipes' (http://www.atole.net) <-- Check out today's
Mexican Recipe.
Message sent by Atole from mombu the cuisine forum http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/

Atole's Profile: http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/member.php?u=1724
View this thread: http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/Mexican Cuisine Recipes/t-Low-fat-Mexican-recipes-445685.html

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

obesity is from carbs , not fats , go study a clinical chemistry
book .
Humans make fats and cholesterols and LDL from carbohydrates .
Healthy humans can make amino acids from carbs .
If you dont do meat , you dont upset nitrogen balance , your body is
really
that good !

But you will notice you feel better if you get a tiny
bit of B-12 every 6 months .

It's over eating that makes fat . I am 170 lbs and dont lose wt on
2 pieces of toast a day .

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> All true Mexican food is non-fat. If you go to any village in Mexico who
> claim any kinship with ancient Amerindians, you will not see anything
> fattening in the diet. Fully 90% is vegetarian and only occasional a turkey,
> piglet, deer, fish or the like. You must add a spoonful of 'expensive' lard
> to a pot of beans to make them fully digestible to the human body system.
> Because of the easy availability of many fats that in the past were not so
> available, many Mexicans are overdoing it. But if they stuck to basic
> Nahuatl, Mexica, Mixteco/Zapoteco, etc, etc, recipes, there would be no
> obesity in any of their homes.
>
> Wayne
>
> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Anyone have any rec for good Mexican cookbooks for those of us watching
> > our weight?
> > TIA,
> > -L.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Humans need 99% carbs , very little vegies ( trace elements) ,
fruits are essential every 7 days for the carbohydrate (wrongly)
called vitamin C .

young can do proteins , old get cancer from too much Nitrogen .
old people have big problems doin protein . You create amino acids
from
carbs and Nit' from your very efficient nitrogen reserves , you dont
need to eat meat .

You can study this yourself . Start with a clinical chem book .
It says you can make protein in liver from N in colon plus carbs !
Notice how humans have a threashold for urea excretion !
Too much Protein will kill you , but it will take 15 years !
But your head tells you meat is essential , cause the media
says so and the govt says so .....
Milk has Vit D , toxic ! You cant cook with milk , use buttermilk
instead , it WILL sour , unlike milk which goes bad .
I drink half and half and eat cheese to slow my intestines down to
normal .
nitrites in mashed potatoes are toxic ( nitrosamines ) .