Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Girello

http://www.cwb.com.au/Wholesale_no_o...n/girello.html

This seems to be what we call "nuar" (FR "noix" ?) in Turkish.

All of the muscle fibres are longitudinal and parallel. There is very little
fat.

Is there an accepted English name for this cut?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:

> http://www.cwb.com.au/Wholesale_no_o...n/girello.html
>
> This seems to be what we call "nuar" (FR "noix" ?) in Turkish.
>
> All of the muscle fibres are longitudinal and parallel. There is very little
> fat.
>
> Is there an accepted English name for this cut?

Looks like a fillet to me. The cut you slice up to make fillet steak.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Opinicus" > wrote in message

> http://www.cwb.com.au/Wholesale_no_o...n/girello.html
>
> This seems to be what we call "nuar" (FR "noix" ?) in Turkish.
>
> All of the muscle fibres are longitudinal and parallel. There is very
> little fat.
>
> Is there an accepted English name for this cut?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

It could be eye of the round or tenderloin.

Nope according to the chart it comes from the leg. Hmmm.
MoM

Posted to rec.food.historic

Interesting. We get something called a "Gerello" which sounds very similar
indeed only with every scrap of fat and tendon trimmed off. Also known as a
"Virginian Roast", which is also (possibly) Eye of Silverside. If it is eye
of silverside, you're looking at the bit that goes into Pastrami.

That's all I can dig up.

There's no fat or sinew on them and just seems to be a long strip of muscle
fibre. Usually pretty tasteless, IMHO, but that might be due to lack of
fat. Turning it into pastrami sounds great to me.

"CHI-MUM" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Opinicus" > wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.cwb.com.au/Wholesale_no_o...n/girello.html
>>
>> This seems to be what we call "nuar" (FR "noix" ?) in Turkish.
>>
>> All of the muscle fibres are longitudinal and parallel. There is very
>> little fat.
>>
>> Is there an accepted English name for this cut?
>>
>> --
>> Bob
>> http://www.kanyak.com

> It could be eye of the round or tenderloin.
>
> Nope according to the chart it comes from the leg. Hmmm.
> MoM

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Oracle" > wrote...

> Interesting. We get something called a "Gerello" which sounds very
> similar indeed only with every scrap of fat and tendon trimmed off. Also
> known as a "Virginian Roast", which is also (possibly) Eye of Silverside.
> If it is eye of silverside, you're looking at the bit that goes into
> Pastrami.
>
> That's all I can dig up.
>
> There's no fat or sinew on them and just seems to be a long strip of
> muscle fibre. Usually pretty tasteless, IMHO, but that might be due to
> lack of fat. Turning it into pastrami sounds great to me.
>

> "CHI-MUM" > wrote ...
>>
>> "Opinicus" > wrote

http://www.cwb.com.au/Wholesale_no_o...n/girello.html

>>> This seems to be what we call "nuar" (FR "noix" ?) in Turkish.
>>>
>>> All of the muscle fibres are longitudinal and parallel. There is very
>>> little fat.
>>>
>>> Is there an accepted English name for this cut?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob

>> It could be eye of the round or tenderloin.
>>
>> Nope according to the chart it comes from the leg. Hmmm.
>> MoM

From whence the "Round" in US parlance cometh...

Ther pictured cut is at least in the Southwestern US known as the "Eye of
Round", neither tender nor with fat enough for most preparations, even to
lean for most slow cooking. Hereabouts, its principal and best use is for
the most favored of all beef dishes, "Chicken Fried" or "Country Fried"
Steak, the first usually involving dipping in a batter mix prior to frying,
often in deep fat, the second, more classic dipped in seasoned flour, then a
milk (w/maybe egg) wash, then re-floured, and often "fried" in "shallow" fat
rather than a deep fryer or skillet full of grease. #2 makes better "cream
gravy" (w/more specks, bits and pieces) than do deep fried versions. Thin
slices of eye round are tenderized or for classic cooks pounded with the
edge of a heavy plate prior to flouring and frying/pan-frying.

The cut, carefully handled, works for some versions of the US standard,
"Swiss Steak", and can be carefully and extensively larded to produce very
flavorful results, but is the effort worth it? It's actually a dryer
tougher cut than the "Chuck Eye", but some places, sliced very thinly,
tenderized and very quickly sauteed in a bit of butter, it makes a passable
"Poor Man's Minute Steak".

TMO