Posted to rec.food.historic,humanities.classics
Andrew Dalby

Default Anthimus's recipe for hare (northern Gaul, about 500 AD)

Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD
site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against
dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to
somebody! Go here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6

for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation.

Andrew

Posted to rec.food.historic,humanities.classics
David Friedman

In article .com>,
"Andrew Dalby" > wrote:

> Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD
> site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against
> dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to
> somebody! Go here
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6
>
> for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation.
>
> Andrew

Why northern Gaul? I thought Anthimus was Byzantine.

--
Remove NOPSAM to email
www.daviddfriedman.com
Posted to rec.food.historic,humanities.classics
Andrew Dalby

David Friedman wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Andrew Dalby" > wrote:
>
> > Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD
> > site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against
> > dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to
> > somebody! Go here
> >
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6
> >
> > for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation.
> >
> > Andrew

> Why northern Gaul? I thought Anthimus was Byzantine.
>
> --

You're quite right. He was a Byzantine medic on the run, apparently,
having been accused of treason. He became dietician/doctor to king
Theoderic (not the famous one) who ruled in northern Gaul, around Metz,
soon after 500 AD. The book was written in Gaul -- in excruciatingly
bad Latin -- and the recipes were apparently intended for use there.
For details see Mark Grant's edition/translation of Anthimus (Prospect
Books)

Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ddfriedman.com

Posted to rec.food.historic,humanities.classics
Andrew Dalby

David Friedman wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Andrew Dalby" > wrote:
>
> > Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD
> > site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against
> > dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to
> > somebody! Go here
> >
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6
> >
> > for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation.
> >
> > Andrew

> Why northern Gaul? I thought Anthimus was Byzantine.
>
> --

You're quite right. He was a Byzantine medic on the run, apparently,
having been accused of treason. He became dietician/doctor to king
Theoderic (not the famous one) who ruled in northern Gaul, around Metz,
soon after 500 AD. The book was written in Gaul -- in excruciatingly
bad Latin -- and the recipes were apparently intended for use there.
For details see Mark Grant's edition/translation of Anthimus (Prospect
Books)

Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/

Posted to rec.food.historic,humanities.classics
Andrew Dalby

David Friedman wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Andrew Dalby" > wrote:
>
> > Anthimus's recipe for hare is today's Latin quotation on the FOOD WORD
> > site. Anthimus claims it's good for dysentery (or rather, against
> > dysentery), which sounds doubtful, but, who knows, it may be useful to
> > somebody! Go here
> >
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/ephemeris/blog.html#6
> >
> > for the original, and you'll find a link to a translation.
> >
> > Andrew

> Why northern Gaul? I thought Anthimus was Byzantine.
>
> --

You're quite right. He was a Byzantine medic on the run, apparently,
having been accused of treason. He became dietician/doctor to king
Theoderic (not the famous one) who ruled in northern Gaul, around Metz,
soon after 500 AD. The book was written in Gaul -- in excruciatingly
bad Latin -- and the recipes were apparently intended for use there.
For details see Mark Grant's edition/translation of Anthimus (Prospect
Books)

Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/

Hare casserole Kathy-in-NZ General Cooking 5 15-04-2007 10:48 PM
Chicago O'Hare Joris Pattyn Beer 6 20-02-2006 01:56 PM
Hare tonight ... Peter Huebner General Cooking 5 15-12-2005 10:07 PM
jugged hare jmarvell Historic 10 29-10-2003 04:47 PM