Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

Default Hare tonight ...

Suze finally bagged her hare last night with the .22 (she'd been after it for
days). And it's been soaking in salt water since I can't get buttermilk around
here; this afternoon I made up a marinade from Yoghurt, oil and gin and tried
that instead. Now it's just gone in the oven.

It will be interesting to find out which way this will go <g>.
(Hoping for 'palatable'; this was probably a young doe rather than a stringy
old buck like last time).

-Peter

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Suze finally bagged her hare last night with the .22 (she'd been after it for
> days). And it's been soaking in salt water since I can't get buttermilk around
> here; this afternoon I made up a marinade from Yoghurt, oil and gin and tried
> that instead. Now it's just gone in the oven.
>
> It will be interesting to find out which way this will go <g>.
> (Hoping for 'palatable'; this was probably a young doe rather than a stringy
> old buck like last time).
>
> -Peter

I had rabbit once, and I didn't like it- I have a feeling that If I made
it myself, I would like it more. What is your recipe?

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Suze finally bagged her hare last night with the .22 (she'd been after it for
> days). And it's been soaking in salt water since I can't get buttermilk around
> here; this afternoon I made up a marinade from Yoghurt, oil and gin and tried
> that instead. Now it's just gone in the oven.
>
> It will be interesting to find out which way this will go <g>.
> (Hoping for 'palatable'; this was probably a young doe rather than a stringy
> old buck like last time).
>
> -Peter

So its hare today, gone tomorrow.

I know... there'll be at last someone that didnt think of it tho

NT

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Westcott

If you check epicurious, they have a very good recipe for rabbit in a
mustard sauce. I made this last weekend and was quite happy with it.

Bob

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> I had rabbit once, and I didn't like it- I have a feeling that If I made
>> it myself, I would like it more. What is your recipe?
>>

> Ah rabbit - I am rather fond of rabbit. Rabbit I do in a covered roasting
> dish
> with some bay leaf and half an onion, at low to medium heat for 1 1/2
> hours,
> then I deglaze the roasting dish with some boiling water, add some capers
> and
> stir in a mix of flour, sour cream and water until the sauce has the right
> consistency.
>
> Hare is a lot more gamy than rabbit. Juniper goes well with hare. My
> marinade
> worked well in that it took the edge of the gamyness and it also
> tenderized the
> meat some. I cooked the hare in the covered roasting dish with juniper
> berries
> and some bay leaf for just over 3 hours at a low heat (155-160C) took the
> meat
> out, deglazed the pan, added a generous swig of gin, pinch of salt, 2-3
> Tbsp of
> concentrated blackcurrent juice (Ribena), reduced a bit and thickened the
> sauce
> with cornflour dissolved in water. Served it up with hot apple sauce, a
> jar of
> cranberries, boiled potatoes and as a side dish we had lettuce with a
> simple
> lemon dressing.
>
> Came out pretty well for an improvised effort: everybody was quietly
> enthusiastic and there wasn't much conversation around the table ;-)
>
> -P.

> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow

....gone tomorrow...

--
Best
Greg ;-p

Hare casserole Kathy-in-NZ General Cooking 5 15-04-2007 10:48 PM
STORY OF THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE raj General Cooking 1 11-12-2006 11:27 AM
Chicago O'Hare Joris Pattyn Beer 6 20-02-2006 01:56 PM
jugged hare jmarvell Historic 10 29-10-2003 04:47 PM