Jean B.

Default various initial quesions...

I have been perusing old cookbooks online and finding
interesting recipes to try, and that, of course, leads to many
questions. Unfortunately, I have not jotted most of them
down, but here are some that stick in my mind.

What is coffee sugar, and is this the same as coffee A sugar?

What is the equivalent of a box of gelatin--e.g., Coxe's or
Cox's, depending on where you look?

In baked goods, what are the modern day equivalents of the
made yeasts, which call for 1 cup or 1/4 c or whatever? Or
does one just have to make the recipes for yeast given in the
various books? One problem with that is that sometimes there
is no recipe given

Then, of course, there is the matter of saleratus and pearl
ash.... I have a little insight into these, thanks to google,
and I see they can be purchased.

Any clues as to the common sizes of baking pans throughout the
ages?

Finally, I don't suppose anything can be done when a recipe
calls for, e.g., a penny's worth of this or that spice, or a
roll, or half a loaf of bread or a certain number of
carackers. What is the usual approach? I am thinking one can
compare similar recipes....

Any links one can give on these things, or any info, would be
most appreciated....
--
Jean B.

Initial Tasting Tom Kunich Winemaking 7 12-03-2011 08:14 PM
Initial Tasting Ben[_12_] Winemaking 1 10-03-2011 08:48 PM
accuracy of initial readings Lee Winemaking 14 17-11-2005 04:28 PM
Use of Refractometer After Initial Gravity Tom S Winemaking 10 05-11-2005 01:08 PM
Low initial SG with white kit: 1.050, not 1.060-1.070 Matt Shepherd Winemaking 6 13-07-2004 04:18 PM