Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Holiday Food Disaster(s)

Unfortunately, I will start the thread this year. I guess it IS
my turn. After all, I have never had much, if anything, to
contribute to past threads on this topic.

I have mentioned our traditional Pumpkin Chiffon Pie many times
over the years. The usual procedure is to make the crumb crust,
let it cool, and then start the cooked part of the filling. After
that cools, but before it is set, one beats egg whites until
stiff, then folds the egg whites and the rest of the filling
together. I usually sit on the steps for the folding, but in this
(new) house, I was sitting in the dining area while doing so.

All at once (don't these things happen all at once?) the bowl
slipped from my grasp and landed on a new oriental rug, with a
large amount of filling sliding out onto the rug and the floor.
Well, this pie takes a fairly large amount of time, since the
filling has to cook, cool, then cool some more. Obviously, I
didn't have time to make it again, and it is the only part of the
holiday meal that my daughter enjoys. Thinking back to Julia
Child and various tales I have read here and elsewhere, I scooped
the filling up and proceeded.

The Oriental rug was dyed in the traditional, non-chemical
fashion. I have NO idea what those dyes might contain.
Otherwise, the floor is pretty clean. (It would be cleaner if my
daughter's dad did not wear his shoes inside.) I hope this is not
a big mistake.

(PS. In the meantime, I drove back to the other house to retrieve
the heavy cream, which I had forgotten. On the way, I started
thinking my lips and part of my tongue felt cool. Uh oh, was it
because of the pie filling that I had licked off the spatula?
Eventually, I realized that I had probably used the minty lip
moisturizer. At least I hope that was it....)

Sooooo, have any of you had a disaster?

Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Jean B. wrote:
> Unfortunately, I will start the thread this year. I guess it IS my
> turn. After all, I have never had much, if anything, to contribute to
> past threads on this topic.
>
> I have mentioned our traditional Pumpkin Chiffon Pie many times over the
> years. The usual procedure is to make the crumb crust, let it cool, and
> then start the cooked part of the filling. After that cools, but before
> it is set, one beats egg whites until stiff, then folds the egg whites
> and the rest of the filling together. I usually sit on the steps for
> the folding, but in this (new) house, I was sitting in the dining area
> while doing so.
>
> All at once (don't these things happen all at once?) the bowl slipped
> from my grasp and landed on a new oriental rug, with a large amount of
> filling sliding out onto the rug and the floor. Well, this pie takes a
> fairly large amount of time, since the filling has to cook, cool, then
> cool some more. Obviously, I didn't have time to make it again, and it
> is the only part of the holiday meal that my daughter enjoys. Thinking
> back to Julia Child and various tales I have read here and elsewhere, I
> scooped the filling up and proceeded.
>
> The Oriental rug was dyed in the traditional, non-chemical fashion. I
> have NO idea what those dyes might contain. Otherwise, the floor is
> pretty clean. (It would be cleaner if my daughter's dad did not wear
> his shoes inside.) I hope this is not a big mistake.
>
> (PS. In the meantime, I drove back to the other house to retrieve the
> heavy cream, which I had forgotten. On the way, I started thinking my
> lips and part of my tongue felt cool. Uh oh, was it because of the pie
> filling that I had licked off the spatula? Eventually, I realized that I
> had probably used the minty lip moisturizer. At least I hope that was
> it....)
>
> Sooooo, have any of you had a disaster?
>
> Jean B.

Oooops. Posted to the wrong group. Sorry.

--
Jean B.