Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Angel Food Cake Disaster

I'm glad I didn't share the recipe I got for the lower (NOT low) carb
angel food cake. It was a disaster. It never made it into the oven. I
probably should have read the directions through a little more carefully
from the get-go. Step one had you sifting the sugar and flour together
then later it had you adding the sugar then the flour.

Have to think up a treat for DH, now. I was baking challah for a
friend's celebration this morning and he was drooling so I promised him
a treat. I had two egg whites from the egg wash left over. Oh, well. I
have some more Just Whites so I'll make him some macaroons.

This would have been my first cake with my brand new Kitchen Aide stand
mixer, too.

As my late mother used to say: "this should be the worst thing that
should ever happen to you". <g>
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> I'm glad I didn't share the recipe I got for the lower (NOT low) carb
> angel food cake. It was a disaster. It never made it into the oven.

Sympathy : (

If you're still looking, here's one that only needs egg-whites:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ke_74644.shtml

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

NEVER use a mixer for angel-food cake. It's way too strong. Beet the
egg-whites first then FOLD in the dry stuff GENTLY and only till it's
incorporated. DO NOT OVER MIX. My angel-foods usually over-flow the top
of the pan.

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I'm glad I didn't share the recipe I got for the lower (NOT low) carb
> angel food cake. It was a disaster. It never made it into the oven. I
> probably should have read the directions through a little more carefully
> from the get-go. Step one had you sifting the sugar and flour together
> then later it had you adding the sugar then the flour.
>
> Have to think up a treat for DH, now. I was baking challah for a
> friend's celebration this morning and he was drooling so I promised him
> a treat. I had two egg whites from the egg wash left over. Oh, well. I
> have some more Just Whites so I'll make him some macaroons.
>
> This would have been my first cake with my brand new Kitchen Aide stand
> mixer, too.
>
> As my late mother used to say: "this should be the worst thing that
> should ever happen to you". <g>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm glad I didn't share the recipe I got for the lower (NOT low) carb
>>angel food cake. It was a disaster. It never made it into the oven.

> Sympathy : (
>
> If you're still looking, here's one that only needs egg-whites:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ke_74644.shtml
>
> Nicky.

Thanks, Nicky. I printed that one off. It looks like it might make a
good Passover recipe, too. No flour at all.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Glenn wrote:

> NEVER use a mixer for angel-food cake. It's way too strong. Beet the
> egg-whites first then FOLD in the dry stuff GENTLY and only till it's
> incorporated. DO NOT OVER MIX. My angel-foods usually over-flow the top
> of the pan.
>
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I'm glad I didn't share the recipe I got for the lower (NOT low) carb
>> angel food cake. It was a disaster. It never made it into the oven. I
>> probably should have read the directions through a little more
>> carefully from the get-go. Step one had you sifting the sugar and
>> flour together then later it had you adding the sugar then the flour.
>>
>> Have to think up a treat for DH, now. I was baking challah for a
>> friend's celebration this morning and he was drooling so I promised
>> him a treat. I had two egg whites from the egg wash left over. Oh,
>> well. I have some more Just Whites so I'll make him some macaroons.
>>
>> This would have been my first cake with my brand new Kitchen Aide
>> stand mixer, too.
>>
>> As my late mother used to say: "this should be the worst thing that
>> should ever happen to you". <g>

Thanks, Glenn. I should have said that I only used it for the egg
whites. My bad.

--