Barry Popik

Default Sport Peppers; Oxford Encyclopedia book party

SPORT PEPPERS

I just posted this to the American Dialect Society list. The
Dictionary of American Regional English is now at the letters "Sk" and
is about to do "sport peppers." "Sport peppers" are an ingredient in
many "Chicago hot dogs":

The Chicago Tribune digitization now appears to be at August 1954.
Some "sport peppers"--in time for the next DARE?

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times digitization hasn't moved at all from
December 1966, where it's been seemingly forever.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Display Ad 56 -- No Title
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 29, 1954. p.
S_A8 (1 page):
Jane Addams 8-oz. Jar
SPORT PEPPERS...21c

OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA BOOK PARTY

Lillian Chou of Gourmet refused to marry me.

Actually, no one at the book party would marry me. I think Mark Zanger
took all the good ones.

The Pubs of Oxford James Baker Beer 0 23-03-2010 11:32 PM
TN: assorted wines- for book party, Nikolausfest, etc DaleW Wine 0 08-12-2009 08:44 PM
Passion Parties Book a party or become a consultant 866)461-1772 hillarycu Baking 0 04-04-2008 04:12 PM
Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America ASmith1946 Historic 0 10-09-2004 09:25 PM
Book suggestions for vegetarian dinner party cooking ? Vulpes Argenteus Vegetarian cooking 6 01-03-2004 12:00 AM