Barry Popik

Default Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks; NYC foods ("Big Apple") site

Two things to check out on Google News: Barry Popik (me) and Bonnie
Slotnick.

Bonnie Slotnick's cookbook store is well known to Andy Smith and
others on this list. I passed by to tell her about my articles, and
found out she was just on Reuters!

Old-Time Cookbooks Big Draw at New York Store
Fri Sep 3, 2004 06:27 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Old cookbooks never die -- in fact, they are not
often willingly surrendered. One woman even took her beloved Betty
Crocker book to the grave.

Cookbook connoisseur Bonnie Slotnick has heard many of these tales,
whispered or recalled with laughter, about women so attached to their
cookbooks that they end up practically being "dragged out of dying
hands."

"The bottom line for a lot of people is ... this craving for comfort
that cookbooks supply," Slotnick said as curious customers browsed in
her tiny Greenwich Village shop.
(...)

My web site, "the Big Apple" (www.barrypopik.com), is up and has been
mentioned on eGullet and Food History News and this week in the
Toronto Globe and Mail. I originally just wanted to explain the Big
Apple for the Big Apple Fest (www.bigapplefest.org), but I have about
40 New York City foods on the site (bagel, bialy, cheesecake, hot
dogs, for example).

REC.FOOD.HISTORIC--I tried to post a few weeks ago and was told that I
had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic. This is insane. I have tons
of food research riches that normally would be shared here, but I have
and will be posting in other places.

Barry Popik
New York, NY
www.barrypopik.com
Opinicus

"Barry Popik" > wrote

> REC.FOOD.HISTORIC--I tried to post a few weeks ago and was
> told that I
> had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic. This is insane.
> I have tons
> of food research riches that normally would be shared
> here, but I have
> and will be posting in other places.

That certainly is insane. With the exception of abandoned
groups, this has to be one of the lowest-volume
regularly-used text groups on Usenet. Who told you that you
had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Opinicus

"Barry Popik" > wrote

> REC.FOOD.HISTORIC--I tried to post a few weeks ago and was
> told that I
> had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic. This is insane.
> I have tons
> of food research riches that normally would be shared
> here, but I have
> and will be posting in other places.

That certainly is insane. With the exception of abandoned
groups, this has to be one of the lowest-volume
regularly-used text groups on Usenet. Who told you that you
had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Barry Popik

>Who told you that you
> had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
enlargements.

As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
made yesterday:

Subj: Roquefort Dressing (1908)
Date: 9/5/2004 5:06:17 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: Bapopik
CC: ASmith1946

My web site was kindly mentioned by the editor on the FOOD HISTORY
NEWS web site, and I finally decided to subscribe to FHN. I was sent
FHN 61, with a cover story on "Roquefort French Dressing."

The first citation found was 1928.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("Roquefort Cheese Dressing")
1. For Each Woman, According to Her Needs.; Tested Recipes Delicious
Potato Salad. Lettuce and Tomato Salad. Roquefort Cheese Dressing. New
Potato Salad. Whipped Cream Cake.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 7, 1909. p. 11
(1 page) :
_Roquefort Cheese Dressing.._
This is a new salad dressing and delicious. Mix roquefort cheese,
olive oil, vinegar, and paprika (have the mixture red with paprika) to
the consistency of mayonnaise. One ingredient and then another added
till the right consistency and according to the taste. Be careful and
don't have it taste too strong of wither the roquefort or the vinegar.
This transforms lettuce or water cress into a delicious salad. Make
the paste thick and fill centers of celery. Would make good
sandwiches. MARJORIE F. TAYLOR.

2. SCHOOL for HOUSE WIVES; WHAT IS a BUFFET LUNCHEON
MARION HARLAND. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles,
Calif.: Feb 12, 1911. p. VIII6 (1 page):
_Lettuce Salad, With Roquefort Cheese Dressing_
Put into a chilled salad bowl crisp lettuce leaves and pour over them
a French dressing, into which has been beaten grated or finely
crumbled roquefort cheese in the proportion of two tablespoonfuls of
the cheese to one and a half cups of dressing.

3. CHEFS BERATE EPICURES' FAD.; CCRYSTALLIZEI ROSE LEAVES A SAMPLE
ORDER; Jaded Fancies of Gourmets in Chicago Produce Strange Orders
atLoop Hotels, but Proprietors Are Prepared to Supply All the Whimsof
Futurist Cooking.
DIRECT WIRE TO THE TIMES.. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current. Jun 23,
1913. p. I2 (1 page):
....spinach with Roquefort cheese dressing,...

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("Roquefort Cheese Salad Dressing")
1. Marion Harland's Helping Hand.; Maple Ice Cream.
Marion Harland. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Dec
11, 1912. p. 19 (1 page):
_Roquefort Cheese Salad Dressing._
Break into small bits with a spoon enough Roquefort cheese to make a
heaping tablespoonful. Put into a bowl a saltspoonful of salt, a dash
of pepper, a tablespoonful of vinegar, and three tablespoonfuls of
salad oil. Beat to a smooth dressing, add the crumbled cheese, and
whip for a moment before pouring over lettuce.--By request of J. W.

2. Marion Harland's Helping Hand.; Sandwich Mayonnaise.
Marion Harland. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May
9, 1913. p. 15 (1 page) :
To prepare the Roquefort cheese salad dressing, make an ordinary
French salad dressing of one part vinegar to three parts oil, with
salt and paprika, or white pepper to taste, and when all the
ingtredients are well blended heat in a tablespoon, or more if there
is much dressing, of Roquefort cheese crumbled fine. Beat hard and
pour over crisp lettuce leaves.

3. Marion Harland's Helping Hand.; Graham Nut Bread.
Marion Harland. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep
17, 1913. p. 11 (1 page):
_Roquefort Cheese Salad Dressing._
Make an ordinary French dressing of one teaspoon salt one-half
teaspoon white pepper, three tablespoons olive oil, one tablespoon
vinegar. Stir until smooth and thick, then work into it one tablespoon
Roquefort cheese, which has been crumbled and mashed fine with the
back of a silver fork. The cheese should be blended smoothly with the
French dressing and put on the lettuce, as would be done with any
dressing.--Request of L. B.

4. Marion Harland's Helping Hand.; Poems and Dialogues.
Marion Harland. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Mar
3, 1914. p. 11 (1 page)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("Roquefort Dressing")
1. Economical Housekeeping; Winter Lettuce.
Jane Eddington. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov
5, 1913. p. 13 (1 page) :
The following salad dressings have been given by a woman who thinks of
nothing so much as of her home.
'
THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING.--Make a heavy creamy mayonnaise. Put some
chili sauce in a bowl; chop it with a knife so that there will be no
large pieces of tomato, and then mix this with the mayonnaise. Mrs. B.
said this could not be told from that served at the most expensive
hotels.

This is one of the numerous ways of modifying mayonnaise, but as to
what the new and popular Thousand Island dressing is, probably chefs
of today differ and often vary an idea a bit and call the products by
their own names. One of the dressings served by this name is
undoubtedly a Hollandaise fressing, which is really a hot Mayonnaise,
made by adding butter to egg, bit by bit, instead of oil, and the
chili sauce and perhaps some other additions.

The Roquefort dressings are rather popular today. Mrs. B. makes hers
as follows:

ROQUEFORT DRESSING.--Make a thick French dressing (put your seasonings
of salt and pepper or paprika in a bowl); add a little vinegar, then
stir in oil until it is thick; then rub into this Roquefort cheese
enough to form a thick paste; then thin just before serving with
whipped cream.

Our fathers and grandfathers used to eat their lettuce with sugar and
vinegar. The larger part of this world eats it with the simplest of
French dressings, but in winter the cooked dressing is good, and also
any of these thicker mixtures, which can always be thinned with cream
to advantage.

2. Display Ad 5 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 13, 1915. p. 6
(1 page)

3. Display Ad 9 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 18, 1915. p. 6
(1 page)

4. Display Ad 1 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 2, 1915. p. 2
(1 page)

5. Display Ad 3 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 8, 1915. p. 4
(1 page)

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Bismarck Daily Tribune Friday, February 14, 1908 Bismarck, North
Dakota
....Tomatoes Mashed Potatoes EJedlvfes, ROQUEFORT DRESSING Ice Cream
Cameinbert.....June Peas Sweet Potatoes Spring Oyster DRESSING
Cranberry Sauce..
Pg. 8, col. 1:
Endives, Roquefort Dressing

Daily Review Friday, November 11, 1910 Decatur, Illinois
....banana. bread sandwiches, ROQUEFORT CHEESE DRESSING, ice cream a la
maple.....flakes, I'oast younK turkey, oyster DRESSING, Siblet gravy,
cream rlced..

Lima News Sunday, July 14, 1912 Lima, Ohio
....Cucumber Tomato Sa'ad Head Lettuce ROQUEFORT DRESSING Coffee Mints
Cakes..
Pg. 11, col. 2:
Head Lettuce with
Roquefort Dressing

Indianapolis Star Sunday, May 11, 1913 Indianapolis, Indiana
....Potatoes Head, Lettuce with ROQUEFORT CHEESE DRESSING Pastries,
Puddings or.....Trout with Egg Sauce, Roast Duck with DRESSING And
Mashed Potatoes or The pink..

(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
THE FLOWER CITY COOK BOOK
by Mrs, Henry Leiter and Sarah Van Bergh
Du Bois Press, Rochester, NY
1911

Pg. 52:
CHICKEN A LA KING...

Pg. 165:
BUNDT...

Pg. 128:
ROQUEFORT CHEESE SALAD DRESSING
Press 1/4 pound cheese through a fine sieve; add gradually 1/4
teaspoonful paprika, 3 tablespoonfuls lemon juice aand 4
tablespoonfuls oil or cream. Mix well until smooth and well blended.
Barry Popik

>Who told you that you
> had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
enlargements.

As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
made yesterday:

Subj: Roquefort Dressing (1908)

Bob (this one)

Barry Popik wrote:

>>Who told you that you
>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
> enlargements.

Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
company.

> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
> made yesterday:

<Trimmed but not until after going through it.>

Good stuff.

BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Barry Popik wrote:

>>Who told you that you
>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
> enlargements.

Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
company.

> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
> made yesterday:

<Trimmed but not until after going through it.>

Good stuff.

BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Barry Popik wrote:

>>Who told you that you
>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
> enlargements.

Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
company.

> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
> made yesterday:

<Trimmed but not until after going through it.>

Good stuff.

BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...

Pastorio

Wayne

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Barry Popik wrote:
>
>>>Who told you that you
>>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

>> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
>> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
>> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
>> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
>> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
>> enlargements.

> Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
> your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
> Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
> company.
>
>> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
>> made yesterday:

> <Trimmed but not until after going through it.>
>
> Good stuff.
>
> BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
> agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...
>
> Pastorio

Pictures, Bob, pictures!!! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Barry Popik wrote:
>
>>>Who told you that you
>>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

>> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
>> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
>> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
>> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
>> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
>> enlargements.

> Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
> your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
> Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
> company.
>
>> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
>> made yesterday:

> <Trimmed but not until after going through it.>
>
> Good stuff.
>
> BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
> agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...
>
> Pastorio

Pictures, Bob, pictures!!! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Barry Popik wrote:
>
>>>Who told you that you
>>>had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

>> That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
>> guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
>> the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
>> and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
>> American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
>> enlargements.

> Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
> your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
> Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
> company.
>
>> As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
>> made yesterday:

> <Trimmed but not until after going through it.>
>
> Good stuff.
>
> BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
> agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...
>
> Pastorio

Pictures, Bob, pictures!!! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Bob (this one)

Wayne wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :

>>>That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
>>>guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
>>>the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
>>>and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
>>>American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
>>>enlargements.

>>Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
>>your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
>>Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
>>company.
>>
>>>As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
>>>made yesterday:

>><Trimmed but not until after going through it.>
>>
>>Good stuff.
>>
>>BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
>>agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...
>>
>>Pastorio

> Pictures, Bob, pictures!!! :-)

Hang on a second while I get the wide angle lens...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Wayne wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :

>>>That came on some form response from Google. It's to prevent SPAM, I
>>>guess. I'm a member of the Culinary Historians of NY, a contributor to
>>>the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, and a consultant
>>>and contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of
>>>American Regional English. I'm not coming on here to sell penis
>>>enlargements.

>>Barry, post away. Who cares what Google thinks about the newsgroup and
>>your posting? Many of the folks here are contributors to the Oxford
>>Encyclopedia (and the editor-in-chief himself!), so you'll be in good
>>company.
>>
>>>As an example of stuff that I post in other places, this is a post I
>>>made yesterday:

>><Trimmed but not until after going through it.>
>>
>>Good stuff.
>>
>>BTW, I've bought all the penis *and* breast enlargements. A Hollywood
>>agent told me he could make me a star. I'm practicing...
>>
>>Pastorio

> Pictures, Bob, pictures!!! :-)

Hang on a second while I get the wide angle lens...

Pastorio

Opinicus

"Barry Popik" > wrote in message
om...
> >Who told you that you
>> had "too many posts" on rec.food.historic?

> That came on some form response from Google.

Well here's the truth of the matter (up to June 13th anyhow)

http://tinyurl.com/464nv

This is a fascinating internet tool by the way:

http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/about/

In particular, check out the "Cross Post" button near the
right side of the screen at the top.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse