Opinicus

Default IN HONOR OF JULIA: Reminiscences

"Jennifer" > wrote

> The French Chef is gone.

I remember her show fondly, watching it as a kid on the
no-commercial channel (Channel 13: Was it already called
"PBS" then?) in NYC, where it got its start. She gave me my
first incentive to learn to cook. Within less than a year
after I started watching the show regularly I was being
given important duties in the typical extended North Jersey
Italian family's Christmas blowout. If I didn't go on to be
a professional cook it certainly wasn't her fault. There
were other fish to fry, as it were.

My favorite recollection from her show, "The French Chef",
was the one in which she showed how to do a roast suckling
pig from start to finish. She kept referring to the pig as
"he": "And now we put foil over his ears to keep them from
burning."

I couldn't believe it when the notice of her death said she
was 92 or so. That means she was born more than 30 years
before I was, in 1912, two years before world war 1 got
started. What a short century that was.

One must assume that Julia ate the kinds of things that she
showed us how to cook. They certainly weren't low-fat. But
they weren't low-carb either. And she lived to be 92. (Memo
to self: Find out how she did that.)

A well-weathered copy of her "Mastering the Art of French
Cooking" (a 1970s edition) sits proudly on the book shelf
above the monitor on which these words are appearing as I
write them.

Will I miss Julia? No. How can I? She's part of me.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Opinicus

"Jennifer" > wrote

> The French Chef is gone.

I remember her show fondly, watching it as a kid on the
no-commercial channel (Channel 13: Was it already called
"PBS" then?) in NYC, where it got its start. She gave me my
first incentive to learn to cook. Within less than a year
after I started watching the show regularly I was being
given important duties in the typical extended North Jersey
Italian family's Christmas blowout. If I didn't go on to be
a professional cook it certainly wasn't her fault. There
were other fish to fry, as it were.

My favorite recollection from her show, "The French Chef",
was the one in which she showed how to do a roast suckling
pig from start to finish. She kept referring to the pig as
"he": "And now we put foil over his ears to keep them from
burning."

I couldn't believe it when the notice of her death said she
was 92 or so. That means she was born more than 30 years
before I was, in 1912, two years before world war 1 got
started. What a short century that was.

One must assume that Julia ate the kinds of things that she
showed us how to cook. They certainly weren't low-fat. But
they weren't low-carb either. And she lived to be 92. (Memo
to self: Find out how she did that.)

A well-weathered copy of her "Mastering the Art of French
Cooking" (a 1970s edition) sits proudly on the book shelf
above the monitor on which these words are appearing as I
write them.

Will I miss Julia? No. How can I? She's part of me.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Opinicus

"Jennifer" > wrote

> The French Chef is gone.

I remember her show fondly, watching it as a kid on the
no-commercial channel (Channel 13: Was it already called
"PBS" then?) in NYC, where it got its start. She gave me my
first incentive to learn to cook. Within less than a year
after I started watching the show regularly I was being
given important duties in the typical extended North Jersey
Italian family's Christmas blowout. If I didn't go on to be
a professional cook it certainly wasn't her fault. There
were other fish to fry, as it were.

My favorite recollection from her show, "The French Chef",
was the one in which she showed how to do a roast suckling
pig from start to finish. She kept referring to the pig as
"he": "And now we put foil over his ears to keep them from
burning."

I couldn't believe it when the notice of her death said she
was 92 or so. That means she was born more than 30 years
before I was, in 1912, two years before world war 1 got
started. What a short century that was.

One must assume that Julia ate the kinds of things that she
showed us how to cook. They certainly weren't low-fat. But
they weren't low-carb either. And she lived to be 92. (Memo
to self: Find out how she did that.)

A well-weathered copy of her "Mastering the Art of French
Cooking" (a 1970s edition) sits proudly on the book shelf
above the monitor on which these words are appearing as I
write them.

Will I miss Julia? No. How can I? She's part of me.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

ASmith1946

Julia is one of my hero's as well. For anyone so inclined, Julia Child's family
has designated the follwoing three programs for donations:

The Culinary Trust
Endangered Treasures Program
Trina Gribbins
304 W. Liberty, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40202
(502)581-9786 x264
Email:

COPIA
Julia Child Culinary Program Fund
Christi Skibbins
5020 1st Street
Napa, CA 94559
(707) 265-5911

AIWF
Julia Child Circle
Mia Stageberg
Directors of Gifts and Grants
633 York Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 642-0425
Email:

Andy Smith
ASmith1946

[...]

Happy (late) 90th, Guadalupe Rivera Marin! ("Frida's Fiestas: Recipesand Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo," 1994) [email protected] General Cooking 3 27-10-2014 08:57 PM
"Julie & Julia", Julia Child, Meryl Streep and Rachel Khoo [email protected] General Cooking 30 04-12-2012 09:42 PM
Julie and Julia: Favorite Julia Child Recipes? Karen MacInerney General Cooking 8 08-01-2006 04:35 PM
IN HONOR OF JULIA Jennifer Diabetic 12 04-09-2004 08:07 PM
Are you cooking anything in Julia's honor? Christine Dabney General Cooking 27 14-08-2004 07:09 PM