Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy (late) 90th, Guadalupe Rivera Marin! ("Frida's Fiestas: Recipesand Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo," 1994)

A Mexican senator, congresswoman and author, her birthday was on the
24th.

Description of above title:

"In the tradition of the best-selling Monet's Table, Frida's Fiestas
is a personal account in words and pictures of many important and
happy events in the life of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, and a
scrapbook, assembled by her stepdaughter, of recipes for more than
100 dishes that Frida served to family and friends with her
characteristic enthusiasm for all the pleasures of life."

One customer review says, in part:

"From an unusual recipe for black Oaxacan mole, an exquisite sauce of
chilies, nuts, spices, tomatoes, garlic, onion and Mexican chocolate,
to fresh corn tamales, squash blossom budin, lamb with drunken sauce
and delicious meatballs in chipotle sauce..."

http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n91031161/
(partial(?) booklist - click again to see more of it)

http://inland.librarycatalog.info/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=96.1033.0.0.11&type=Browse& term=Rivera%20Mari%cc%81n,%20Guadalupe,%201924-&by=AU&sort=RELEVANCE&limit=TOM=*&query=AU="RIVERA %20MARIN%20GUADALUPE%201924"&page=0&searchid=1
(three covers - includes "Frieda's Fiestas")

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...97.Th8TERmjS_Y
(photos)

http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/201...-rivera-marin/
(2013 interview)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...56a_story.html
(April interview on food - it looks as though they got her age wrong)

First paragraphs:

By Pati Jinich April 18

When she was a teenager in the 1940s, Guadalupe Rivera Marin went to live with her father and stepmother in Coyoacán, in Mexico City, in a house that would become known for its vivid blue color, for its famous occupants and for the parties they would throw.

Her father, of course, was the muralist Diego Rivera, one of the most important Mexican artists of all time, and his wife was painter Frida Kahlo, who achieved worldwide fame mostly after her premature death at age 47. As Marin points out, Kahlo may have orchestrated the meals and gatherings with artistic brilliance, but she didn't cook much (nor did she like cooking)...

(snip)

http://globenewswire.com/news-releas...s-Council.html
(September article)

First paragraphs:

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 17, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Mexican Museum announces the appointment of Guadalupe Rivera Marin, daughter of renowned Mexican artist Diego Rivera, to the Museum's Arts and Letters Council. Rivera Marin will serve as an honorary co-chair with acclaimed actor, director and producer Edward James Olmos. Besides being an author and lecturer, Rivera Marin is also the founder and board chair of the Diego Rivera Foundation.

Andrew Kluger, The Mexican Museum's board chairman, met with Rivera Marin during his trip to Mexico in June. During this meeting, Rivera Marin expressed her unwavering support for the Museum, which is the premier West Coast museum of Mexican, Mexican-American, Chicano, Latin American and Latino art, culture and heritage.

"I had the tremendous privilege and pleasure of meeting with Guadalupe Rivera Marin, where she expressed great interest in supporting the new Museum home. This includes leading the drive to honor the work of her famous father in our future facility," said Kluger. "We are deeply honored that she has agreed to serve as co-chair of the Arts and Letters Council with Edward James Olmos, as well as becoming an honorary member of our Board of Trustees."....

(snip)

http://www.google.com/?nord=1&nord=1... rd=1&tbm=vid
(videos)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:33:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> A Mexican senator, congresswoman and author, her birthday was on the
> 24th.
>
> Description of above title:
>
> "In the tradition of the best-selling Monet's Table, Frida's Fiestas
> is a personal account in words and pictures of many important and
> happy events in the life of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, and a
> scrapbook, assembled by her stepdaughter, of recipes for more than
> 100 dishes that Frida served to family and friends with her
> characteristic enthusiasm for all the pleasures of life."
>
> One customer review says, in part:
>
> "From an unusual recipe for black Oaxacan mole, an exquisite sauce of
> chilies, nuts, spices, tomatoes, garlic, onion and Mexican chocolate,
> to fresh corn tamales, squash blossom budin, lamb with drunken sauce
> and delicious meatballs in chipotle sauce..."

I've wanted to make green rice for quite a while and planned to do it
last week (when I made burrito bowls), but was distracted by a 1 year
old and forgot - so I ended up making Mexican style "white" rice
instead. Scroll down to the recipes for green, red and white rice on
page 56.
http://books.google.com/books?id=h1v...page&q&f=false

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:50:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

snip

>I've wanted to make green rice for quite a while and planned to do it
>last week (when I made burrito bowls), but was distracted by a 1 year
>old and forgot - so I ended up making Mexican style "white" rice
>instead. Scroll down to the recipes for green, red and white rice on
>page 56.
>http://books.google.com/books?id=h1v...page&q&f=false

It's interesting to see green rice made with cilantro. I've always
known it as parsley and green onion -- an early spring dish.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:19:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:50:51 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> >I've wanted to make green rice for quite a while and planned to do it
> >last week (when I made burrito bowls), but was distracted by a 1 year
> >old and forgot - so I ended up making Mexican style "white" rice
> >instead. Scroll down to the recipes for green, red and white rice on
> >page 56.
> >http://books.google.com/books?id=h1v...page&q&f=false

> It's interesting to see green rice made with cilantro. I've always
> known it as parsley and green onion -- an early spring dish.

That would be a USA/Canadian type American version.
The Mexican one appeals to me.