Christine Dabney

Default Are you cooking anything in Julia's honor?

Just thought I would start a new thread..

I have seen some people, here and on eGullet talking about cooking in
memoriam of Julia Child. Some of them (on eGullet) are going to do
so, and post pictures of what they cooked in her honor.

I am working the next two nights, so my first real chance to cook
anything in her honor will be on Sunday. I am thinking of cooking a
whole dinner from her recipes. Not entirely sure what they will be
yet, but a roast chicken might be a star player. Julia loved a good
roast chicken, from what I have read. The rest of the menu is up in
the air, as I don't have her cookbooks with me. I am going to
scrounge through my recipe collection and see what I copied from her
cookbooks, and maybe cook the rest of the menu from those.

Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

Christine
Dave Smith

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

Nope. Julie was a fine personality, one of many great cooks whose
knowledge I have tried to absorb over the years. She is one of my
inspirations to try new things and to be creative. It has more to do
with style and available ingredients than any particular recipe. This
afternoon I picked up some nice sea scallops. I will be frying them in
butter with garlic and parsley. When I sit down to eat I will think good
things of Julia.

Dave Smith

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

Nope. Julie was a fine personality, one of many great cooks whose
knowledge I have tried to absorb over the years. She is one of my
inspirations to try new things and to be creative. It has more to do
with style and available ingredients than any particular recipe. This
afternoon I picked up some nice sea scallops. I will be frying them in
butter with garlic and parsley. When I sit down to eat I will think good
things of Julia.

Nancy Young

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I was going to run out for McDonald's fries.

nancy (smile)
Nancy Young

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I was going to run out for McDonald's fries.

nancy (smile)

Jack Schidt®

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Just thought I would start a new thread..
>
> I have seen some people, here and on eGullet talking about cooking in
> memoriam of Julia Child. Some of them (on eGullet) are going to do
> so, and post pictures of what they cooked in her honor.
>
> I am working the next two nights, so my first real chance to cook
> anything in her honor will be on Sunday. I am thinking of cooking a
> whole dinner from her recipes. Not entirely sure what they will be
> yet, but a roast chicken might be a star player. Julia loved a good
> roast chicken, from what I have read. The rest of the menu is up in
> the air, as I don't have her cookbooks with me. I am going to
> scrounge through my recipe collection and see what I copied from her
> cookbooks, and maybe cook the rest of the menu from those.
>
> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?
>
> Christine

No, not from her repertoire. I'm going to take the spirit and move on,
creating new recipes.

Jack Futureman

Jack Schidt®

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Just thought I would start a new thread..
>
> I have seen some people, here and on eGullet talking about cooking in
> memoriam of Julia Child. Some of them (on eGullet) are going to do
> so, and post pictures of what they cooked in her honor.
>
> I am working the next two nights, so my first real chance to cook
> anything in her honor will be on Sunday. I am thinking of cooking a
> whole dinner from her recipes. Not entirely sure what they will be
> yet, but a roast chicken might be a star player. Julia loved a good
> roast chicken, from what I have read. The rest of the menu is up in
> the air, as I don't have her cookbooks with me. I am going to
> scrounge through my recipe collection and see what I copied from her
> cookbooks, and maybe cook the rest of the menu from those.
>
> Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?
>
> Christine

No, not from her repertoire. I'm going to take the spirit and move on,
creating new recipes.

Jack Futureman

Brian Seeger

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>cookbooks, and maybe cook the rest of the menu from those.
>
>Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

My inspiration, Julia Child died yesterday. She had the best show on TV and
have many of her books....

......but don't you honestly believe that she looked like Andre The Giant in
drag?

..................SAVE THE LIVER

WardNA

>Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I don't cook from recipes. And who's she, anyway? She was much too stuck on
French.

And even so, didn't understand the importance of dressing well.

Neil

WardNA

>Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I don't cook from recipes. And who's she, anyway? She was much too stuck on
French.

And even so, didn't understand the importance of dressing well.

Neil
Mr. Wizard

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > Just thought I would start a new thread..
> >
> > I have seen some people, here and on eGullet talking about cooking in
> > memoriam of Julia Child. Some of them (on eGullet) are going to do
> > so, and post pictures of what they cooked in her honor.
> >
> > I am working the next two nights, so my first real chance to cook
> > anything in her honor will be on Sunday. I am thinking of cooking a
> > whole dinner from her recipes. Not entirely sure what they will be
> > yet, but a roast chicken might be a star player. Julia loved a good
> > roast chicken, from what I have read. The rest of the menu is up in
> > the air, as I don't have her cookbooks with me. I am going to
> > scrounge through my recipe collection and see what I copied from her
> > cookbooks, and maybe cook the rest of the menu from those.
> >
> > Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?
> >
> > Christine

> No, not from her repertoire. I'm going to take the spirit and move on,
> creating new recipes.
>
> Jack Futureman

That's what it really is all about.
I will keep as dogma her method for boiled eggs though.

Pennyaline

"Dog3" wrote:
> Ya' wanna cook up some whoop ass for the troll?

With dressing, of course.

Pennyaline

"Dog3" wrote:
> Ya' wanna cook up some whoop ass for the troll?

With dressing, of course.

Pennyaline

"WardNA" wrote:
> I don't cook from recipes. And who's she, anyway? She was much too stuck

on
> French.
>
> And even so, didn't understand the importance of dressing well.

I think she understood the importance of dressing very well. She made a
wonderful one for roast fowl.

Pennyaline

"WardNA" wrote:
> I don't cook from recipes. And who's she, anyway? She was much too stuck

on
> French.
>
> And even so, didn't understand the importance of dressing well.

I think she understood the importance of dressing very well. She made a
wonderful one for roast fowl.

WardNA

>If you don't know who she was, how come you know how she cooked and
>dressed ?

"who's she?" is an idiom getting at, "what makes her such an important person."
And the reasons I submitted were clear enough.

Neil
WardNA

>If you don't know who she was, how come you know how she cooked and
>dressed ?

"who's she?" is an idiom getting at, "what makes her such an important person."
And the reasons I submitted were clear enough.

Neil

CaptCook

"WardNA" wrote ...
> >Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I will just add half a cup of butter to everything. Bless her
attitude.

CaptCook

"WardNA" wrote ...
> >Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I will just add half a cup of butter to everything. Bless her
attitude.

CaptCook

"WardNA" wrote ...
> >Anyone else planning to cook anything from Julia's books/recipes?

I will just add half a cup of butter to everything. Bless her
attitude.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Miche
> wrote:
(snip)
> What I _am_ going to do is cook roast hogget (year-old lamb) forequarter
> with all the trimmings for tomorrow evening's dinner. Roast potatoes
> and carrots cooked with the meat, gravy, peas, all that good stuff.
>
> The thing is, I'm going to do it simply and well.
>
> And that may be all the tribute she would want.
>
> Miche

I think you're right, Miche. I've never cooked lamb - yours sounds
delicious.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Miche
> wrote:
(snip)
> What I _am_ going to do is cook roast hogget (year-old lamb) forequarter
> with all the trimmings for tomorrow evening's dinner. Roast potatoes
> and carrots cooked with the meat, gravy, peas, all that good stuff.
>
> The thing is, I'm going to do it simply and well.
>
> And that may be all the tribute she would want.
>
> Miche

I think you're right, Miche. I've never cooked lamb - yours sounds
delicious.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Miche
> wrote:
(snip)
> What I _am_ going to do is cook roast hogget (year-old lamb) forequarter
> with all the trimmings for tomorrow evening's dinner. Roast potatoes
> and carrots cooked with the meat, gravy, peas, all that good stuff.
>
> The thing is, I'm going to do it simply and well.
>
> And that may be all the tribute she would want.
>
> Miche

I think you're right, Miche. I've never cooked lamb - yours sounds
delicious.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Miche
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> What I _am_ going to do is cook roast hogget (year-old lamb)
>> forequarter with all the trimmings for tomorrow evening's dinner.
>> Roast potatoes and carrots cooked with the meat, gravy, peas, all
>> that good stuff.
>>
>> The thing is, I'm going to do it simply and well.
>>
>> And that may be all the tribute she would want.
>>
>> Miche

> I think you're right, Miche. I've never cooked lamb - yours sounds
> delicious.

This is what I use on Lamb shoulder roasts.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Kathy's Lamb Marinade

none

3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp rosemary optional
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper

Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Miche
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> What I _am_ going to do is cook roast hogget (year-old lamb)
>> forequarter with all the trimmings for tomorrow evening's dinner.
>> Roast potatoes and carrots cooked with the meat, gravy, peas, all
>> that good stuff.
>>
>> The thing is, I'm going to do it simply and well.
>>
>> And that may be all the tribute she would want.
>>
>> Miche

> I think you're right, Miche. I've never cooked lamb - yours sounds
> delicious.

This is what I use on Lamb shoulder roasts.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Kathy's Lamb Marinade

none

3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp rosemary optional
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper

Marinate 24 hrs plus in fridge

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

JULIA CHILD'S LAST TV COOKING SHOW Intrepid[_3_] General Cooking 0 29-11-2012 06:10 PM
Was Julia Child into organic or healthful cooking? E.A.T. Hoffmann General Cooking 59 03-05-2010 09:29 AM
Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking notbob General Cooking 34 13-09-2009 11:37 PM
IN HONOR OF JULIA Jennifer Diabetic 12 04-09-2004 08:07 PM
IN HONOR OF JULIA: Reminiscences Opinicus Historic 4 13-08-2004 09:05 PM