Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Hot Weather Breakfasts

I am logging in some new material and had the hare-brained idea
that I would also start jotting down recipes from yearly and
monthly publications as an aid to spotting food trends etc. I am
just looking at menus and recipes from the July 1903 issue of
Modern Priscilla Magazine and thought some of you would like to
see what these breakfasts of yore looked like. I'd go for some
strawberry shortcake for breakfast. OTOH, cream toast sounds
pretty bad, although that idea persisted for quite a while--and I
think some folks still eat it!

Sunday:
strawberries
breakfast cereal
baked chicken [very plain]
sliced cucumbers
raised biscuit (reheated)
coffee

Monday:
breakfast cereal
dried beef in cream
hashed brown potatoes
twin mountain muffins [very plain]
coffee

Tuesday:
cantaloup [sic]
hominy
cream toast
boiled eggs (to order)
coffee

Wednesday:
raspberries
breakfast cereal
waffles with maple syrup
coffee

Thursday:
breakfast cereal
broiled shad
sautéd potatoes [sic]
blueberry cake [not the streusel-topped one of today]
coffee

Friday:
broiled ham
potato cakes
dry toast
strawberry shortcake [with large biscuits, not individual portions]
coffee

Saturday:
breakfast cereal with baked sweet apples
omelet
graham muffins
coffee

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Tue 14 Jul 2009 03:28:06p, Jean B. told us...

> I am logging in some new material and had the hare-brained idea
> that I would also start jotting down recipes from yearly and
> monthly publications as an aid to spotting food trends etc. I am
> just looking at menus and recipes from the July 1903 issue of
> Modern Priscilla Magazine and thought some of you would like to
> see what these breakfasts of yore looked like. I'd go for some
> strawberry shortcake for breakfast. OTOH, cream toast sounds
> pretty bad, although that idea persisted for quite a while--and I
> think some folks still eat it!

< menus snipped >

I could easily handle all of that except for the cream toast. UGH!
Although not a bad thing, I'm not sure I'd want chicken for breakfast.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Anyhow, the hole in the doughnut is at least digestible. ~H.L. Mencken

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 14 Jul 2009 03:28:06p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> I am logging in some new material and had the hare-brained idea
>> that I would also start jotting down recipes from yearly and
>> monthly publications as an aid to spotting food trends etc. I am
>> just looking at menus and recipes from the July 1903 issue of
>> Modern Priscilla Magazine and thought some of you would like to
>> see what these breakfasts of yore looked like. I'd go for some
>> strawberry shortcake for breakfast. OTOH, cream toast sounds
>> pretty bad, although that idea persisted for quite a while--and I
>> think some folks still eat it!
>>

> < menus snipped >
>
> I could easily handle all of that except for the cream toast. UGH!
> Although not a bad thing, I'm not sure I'd want chicken for breakfast.

Yes, that cream toast sounded bad. I just don't like that type of
thing, which strikes me as insipid and mushy. Today I saw a
recipe for cider toast, which sounded more flavorful at least.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Jul 15, 8:18*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 14 Jul 2009 03:28:06p, Jean B. told us...

> >> I am logging in some new material and had the hare-brained idea
> >> that I would also start jotting down recipes from yearly and
> >> monthly publications as an aid to spotting food trends etc. *I am
> >> just looking at menus and recipes from the July 1903 issue of
> >> Modern Priscilla Magazine and thought some of you would like to
> >> see what these breakfasts of yore looked like. *I'd go for some
> >> strawberry shortcake for breakfast. *OTOH, cream toast sounds
> >> pretty bad, although that idea persisted for quite a while--and I
> >> think some folks still eat it!

> > < menus snipped >

> > I could easily handle all of that except for the cream toast. *UGH! *
> > Although not a bad thing, I'm not sure I'd want chicken for breakfast.

> Yes, that cream toast sounded bad. *I just don't like that type of
> thing, which strikes me as insipid and mushy. *Today I saw a
> recipe for cider toast, which sounded more flavorful at least.

What exactly is cream toast? All I could think of was the US Army's S
on a S. but that seemed unlikely.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.historic

John Kane wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:18 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 14 Jul 2009 03:28:06p, Jean B. told us...
>>> < menus snipped >
>>> I could easily handle all of that except for the cream toast. UGH!
>>> Although not a bad thing, I'm not sure I'd want chicken for breakfast.

>> Yes, that cream toast sounded bad. I just don't like that type of
>> thing, which strikes me as insipid and mushy. Today I saw a
>> recipe for cider toast, which sounded more flavorful at least.

> What exactly is cream toast? All I could think of was the US Army's S
> on a S. but that seemed unlikely.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

It is just soggy toast. Related is milk toast. Ugh.

--
Jean B.

Member

Wear a wristband. Blame it on the cat if you have to take it off and someone asks about the cuts, even if you don't have a cat.