Posted to rec.food.historic

Default school lunch recipes (Vermont, 1946)

Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
:-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....

ham loaf; meat, liver or salmon loaf; soya meat loaf; veal woodcock;
creamed chipped beef with soya; creamed ham and eggs; creamed lamb and
celery on toast; meat-vegetable stew; soya lamb casserole; casserole of
chicken and noodles; casserole of frankfurts and creamed potatoes' chop
suey with hamburg; corned beef hash; scalloped hamburg, corn and potato;
Creole liver casserole;

baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne; kidney bean salad;
Spanish beans;

fish chowder; salmon wiggle; creamed codfish and eggs;

potato soup; vegetable beef soup;

scallop of ham and eggs; scalloped potatoes with egg and cheese; cheese
fondue; Welsh rarebit over hard-cooked eggs; baked vegetable and cheese
casserole; fish and cheese casserole; baked rice and cheese; baked bread
and cheese; baked rarebit; carrot and cheese souffle; rice and cheese
omelet; macaroni and cheese; creamed hard-cooked eggs; scambled eggs;

scalloped tomatoes; scalloped potatoes; green beans and tomatoes;
scalloped corn;

potato salad; fruit salad [with cabbage and carrots]; cabbage salad;
"sour cream" salad dressing [made with evaporated milk]; French
dressing; boiled salad dressing;

quick dark bread; baking powder biscuits;

raw vegetable sandwich filling; egg salad sandwiches; cottage cheese
[sandwich] filling; carrot and celery [sandwich] filling;

fruit betty, chocolate pudding; custard; floating island; baked apples;
bread pudding; molasses cookies; gingerbread; oatmeal cookies; Norwegian
prune pudding; lemon gelatin;

cocoa;

white sauce.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 04 May 2008 11:13:29a, Jean B. told us...

> Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
> lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
> a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
> which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
> eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
> so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
> :-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....
>
> ham loaf; meat, liver or salmon loaf; soya meat loaf; veal woodcock;
> creamed chipped beef with soya; creamed ham and eggs; creamed lamb and
> celery on toast; meat-vegetable stew; soya lamb casserole; casserole of
> chicken and noodles; casserole of frankfurts and creamed potatoes' chop
> suey with hamburg; corned beef hash; scalloped hamburg, corn and potato;
> Creole liver casserole;
>
> baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne; kidney bean salad;
> Spanish beans;
>
> fish chowder; salmon wiggle; creamed codfish and eggs;
>
> potato soup; vegetable beef soup;
>
> scallop of ham and eggs; scalloped potatoes with egg and cheese; cheese
> fondue; Welsh rarebit over hard-cooked eggs; baked vegetable and cheese
> casserole; fish and cheese casserole; baked rice and cheese; baked bread
> and cheese; baked rarebit; carrot and cheese souffle; rice and cheese
> omelet; macaroni and cheese; creamed hard-cooked eggs; scambled eggs;
>
> scalloped tomatoes; scalloped potatoes; green beans and tomatoes;
> scalloped corn;
>
> potato salad; fruit salad [with cabbage and carrots]; cabbage salad;
> "sour cream" salad dressing [made with evaporated milk]; French
> dressing; boiled salad dressing;
>
> quick dark bread; baking powder biscuits;
>
> raw vegetable sandwich filling; egg salad sandwiches; cottage cheese
> [sandwich] filling; carrot and celery [sandwich] filling;
>
> fruit betty, chocolate pudding; custard; floating island; baked apples;
> bread pudding; molasses cookies; gingerbread; oatmeal cookies; Norwegian
> prune pudding; lemon gelatin;
>
> cocoa;
>
> white sauce.

That's a considerable offering, Jean. Actually, impressive!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 04 May 2008 11:13:29a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
>> lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
>> a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
>> which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
>> eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
>> so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
>> :-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....
>>
>> ham loaf; meat, liver or salmon loaf; soya meat loaf; veal woodcock;
>> creamed chipped beef with soya; creamed ham and eggs; creamed lamb and
>> celery on toast; meat-vegetable stew; soya lamb casserole; casserole of
>> chicken and noodles; casserole of frankfurts and creamed potatoes' chop
>> suey with hamburg; corned beef hash; scalloped hamburg, corn and potato;
>> Creole liver casserole;
>>
>> baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne; kidney bean salad;
>> Spanish beans;
>>
>> fish chowder; salmon wiggle; creamed codfish and eggs;
>>
>> potato soup; vegetable beef soup;
>>
>> scallop of ham and eggs; scalloped potatoes with egg and cheese; cheese
>> fondue; Welsh rarebit over hard-cooked eggs; baked vegetable and cheese
>> casserole; fish and cheese casserole; baked rice and cheese; baked bread
>> and cheese; baked rarebit; carrot and cheese souffle; rice and cheese
>> omelet; macaroni and cheese; creamed hard-cooked eggs; scambled eggs;
>>
>> scalloped tomatoes; scalloped potatoes; green beans and tomatoes;
>> scalloped corn;
>>
>> potato salad; fruit salad [with cabbage and carrots]; cabbage salad;
>> "sour cream" salad dressing [made with evaporated milk]; French
>> dressing; boiled salad dressing;
>>
>> quick dark bread; baking powder biscuits;
>>
>> raw vegetable sandwich filling; egg salad sandwiches; cottage cheese
>> [sandwich] filling; carrot and celery [sandwich] filling;
>>
>> fruit betty, chocolate pudding; custard; floating island; baked apples;
>> bread pudding; molasses cookies; gingerbread; oatmeal cookies; Norwegian
>> prune pudding; lemon gelatin;
>>
>> cocoa;
>>
>> white sauce.
>>

> That's a considerable offering, Jean. Actually, impressive!

Well, I am assuming folks may want a recipe or two, if that! :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote:

> fish chowder; salmon wiggle; creamed codfish and eggs;

Is the Salmon Wiggle made with Jell-O? What flavor - lime?

I'll contribute this recipe to the Nasty Food Archives. I bought
this issue at a thrift store just for this recipe:

Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
salad, celery and carrot sticks.

Green Layer:
---------------------------------
1 package lime-flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup ice
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup grated cucumber
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery

Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
mold. Chill until firm.

Red Layer
------------------------------------
1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup tomato juice
1 teaspoon onion juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups ground cooked turkey

Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
pimiento and green pepper.

Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic

Sqwertz wrote:

> Is the Salmon Wiggle made with Jell-O? What flavor - lime?

No Jell-O. It contains salmon, medium white sauce, peas, and corn.
When I was in school, it was something else. Salmon and peas and ??? I
want to say rice, but I'm not sure.

Jean B.

> I'll contribute this recipe to the Nasty Food Archives. I bought
> this issue at a thrift store just for this recipe:
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote:

>Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
>lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
> a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
>which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
>eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
>so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
> :-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....

>baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne;

I'd be curious to see these three.

Thx.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.historic

Derek Lyons wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
>> lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
>> a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
>> which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
>> eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
>> so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
>> :-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....

>> baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne;

> I'd be curious to see these three.
>
> Thx.
>
> D.

Okay. Here you go. (I assume the 12-serving amounts will suffice.) I
will do some formatting as I type.

Before I start, the booklet is "School Lunch Program Menus and Recipes,
1946. Prepared by the Vermont State School Lunch Committee and
published by the State Department of Education.

Baked Beans (12 servings)

1 qt dried beans
1/2 c diced salt pork or bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 c molasses, sugar, or syrup
1 Tbsp salt
2/3 tsp dry mustard

Pick over and wash beans thoroughly. Soak in cold water about 6 hours.
Do not drain. Add boiling water to cover. Simmer about 1 hour until
beans are tender but not mushy. Add salt pork or bacon, sweetener,
salt, and mustard. [No indication of when onion should be added.]
Place in baking pan and bake in slow oven (300-325F) 3-4 hours, adding
water if needed.

**************

Baked Bean Loaf (12 servings)

1 qt baked beans or boiled navy or kidney beans
1 1/2 c bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c milk, water, or bean liquid
6 eggs
1 tsp salt

Mash beans. Add other ingredients and stir to blend well. Pour into
well-oiled baking pan.

Bake in moderate oven (350F) about 45 minutes.

Serve with tomato, Spanish, or Creole sauce.

****************

Chili con Carne (12 servings)

2 lbs hamburg
1 qt cooked kidney beans
1 green pepper[, chopped]
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 qt tomatoes
2 tsps salt
[pepper]
[no mention of chili powder or its individual components!!]

Cook onions, green pepper, and meat until brown and meat is thoroughly
cooked, mixing to a smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper. Add beans
and tomatoes. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

************

Don't shoot the messenger! Boy that is a really bad recipe even for New
Englanders. :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

TMOliver wrote:
> "Derek Lyons" > wrote ...
>> "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> Folks sometimes try to locate recipes for foods consumed at school
>>> lunches in days of yore. Therefore, I thought I'd list the recipes from
>>> a booklet entitled "School Lunch Program: Recipes and Menus, 1946",
>>> which was compiled and published in Vermont. This booklet will
>>> eventually be very hard to find in the cookbook and recipe book clutter,
>>> so speak up in the near future if you want me to type a recipe for you.
>>> :-) Note that all recipes are for 12 or 50....
>>> baked beans; baked bean loaf; chili con carne;

>> I'd be curious to see these three.
>>

> In the South/near Southwest, 1946-50 or so, creamed tuna always trumped
> salmon, a canned food reserved for the dreaded "doorstoppers", croquettes of
> mass and weight. Much rice was grown in Arkansas & Texas, aid for the
> world's starving and to maintain the lives of elementary school kids. I
> still need rice at least once a day.
>
> Chili? A common dish about the town, source of many questions as to the
> type and origin of the meat during the days of rationing, was rarely served
> at school, since metal mess trays didn't do well with what was essentially a
> soupy stew or stewy soup. Our chili was dramatic in its difference from the
> tomato laden Cincinnati sort, a vulgar heresy still served in the Wendy's
> chain, more of a "Sloppy Joe" w/beans than a Chili.

As you will see (or have seen), the recipe in this booklet is REALLY
bad, even from the perspective of one who can enjoy the "normal"
northern-style chilis, which usually contain beans and tomatoes.

> Hominy, always white never yellow, and like grits a dish begging for flavor
> and augmentation to rise above a vacuum filler to any semblance of enjoyable
> food. I love grits, bolstered with eggs, cheese, green Chiles, country ham,
> andouille, bacon, etc., or topped with sautéed shrimp, and find that few
> things combine so well with tripe and pigs' feet than do hominy/posole, the
> basis of "Menudo" (or even the simpler pork-flavored "Posole" (especially
> when either is started from "real" dried hominy, not the sissified canned
> sort).
>
> School Chicken and Dumplings required little chicken (much of which we
> suspected was pilfered to feed the cafeteria staff at home).
>
> I best recall:
>
> A limp leaf of lettuce
> a half banana split lengthwise
> a dab of peanut butter
> topped by 1/2 a maraschino cherry Why a half. Did they actually come from
> far away Maraschino, occupied by the bestial N*zis?

Interesting. My mom did something like that, but she mixed the PB with
some mayonnaise. I don't recall the cherry part though.

> and on the next day.....
>
> the same lettuce leaf (Maybe, few actually ate them.)
> a ring of pineapple
> a dab of "Miracle Whip", salad dressing, not mayo.
> the other half of yesterday's cherry.

LOL!

> ....and canned spinach, truly among the nastiest dishes around.
>
> TMO

I am happy to say I didn't eat school lunches. Back in the days of the
dinos, we could actually go home for lunch! In middle and high school,
I brought my own lunch....
Posted to rec.food.historic

When I was in high school -- back around 1962 -- the cafeteria staff
often inflicted fish sticks on their unwilling customers. Finally, in
self-defense, The Great Fish Stick Revolt was fomented. On the
appointed day, hundreds of students brought in their lunch -- students
who had never before been seen with brown bag in hand. The "cafeteria
ladies" (as they were then known) were flummoxed as student after
student put cartons of milk and dessert on their trays, but nothing
else.

As far as I know, this was the official beginning of what would later
be thought of as the decade of protest, or simply, "the sixties" (at
least in my little corner of the suburbs).

Needless to say, the hair-netted powers that be retaliated; for many
days thereafter, the left-over fish sticks were served, again and
again -- each time becoming slightly smaller, harder, and greasier --
until they were no more.

On May 5, 7:31*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
<snip>
> I am happy to say I didn't eat school lunches. *Back in the days of the
> dinos, we could actually go home for lunch! *In middle and high school,
> I brought my own lunch....

Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary wrote:
> When I was in high school -- back around 1962 -- the cafeteria staff
> often inflicted fish sticks on their unwilling customers. Finally, in
> self-defense, The Great Fish Stick Revolt was fomented. On the
> appointed day, hundreds of students brought in their lunch -- students
> who had never before been seen with brown bag in hand. The "cafeteria
> ladies" (as they were then known) were flummoxed as student after
> student put cartons of milk and dessert on their trays, but nothing
> else.
>
> As far as I know, this was the official beginning of what would later
> be thought of as the decade of protest, or simply, "the sixties" (at
> least in my little corner of the suburbs).
>
> Needless to say, the hair-netted powers that be retaliated; for many
> days thereafter, the left-over fish sticks were served, again and
> again -- each time becoming slightly smaller, harder, and greasier --
> until they were no more.

Nice story--although not so nice at the time. I was thinking that
reminded me of something. THAT was my mom's approach to unwanted food....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Tue 06 May 2008 01:21:30p, Jean B. told us...

> Gary wrote:
>> When I was in high school -- back around 1962 -- the cafeteria staff
>> often inflicted fish sticks on their unwilling customers. Finally, in
>> self-defense, The Great Fish Stick Revolt was fomented. On the
>> appointed day, hundreds of students brought in their lunch -- students
>> who had never before been seen with brown bag in hand. The "cafeteria
>> ladies" (as they were then known) were flummoxed as student after
>> student put cartons of milk and dessert on their trays, but nothing
>> else.
>>
>> As far as I know, this was the official beginning of what would later
>> be thought of as the decade of protest, or simply, "the sixties" (at
>> least in my little corner of the suburbs).
>>
>> Needless to say, the hair-netted powers that be retaliated; for many
>> days thereafter, the left-over fish sticks were served, again and
>> again -- each time becoming slightly smaller, harder, and greasier --
>> until they were no more.
>>

> Nice story--although not so nice at the time. I was thinking that
> reminded me of something. THAT was my mom's approach to unwanted

food....

Apparently that was Joan Crawford's approach too, at least in "Mommie
Dearest". IIRC, it was a bloody steak.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)