Posted to rec.food.historic

Default fruit baskets

Hello,

For an article I'm researching, I've run into a dead-end -- or,
rather, a surfeit of useless leads.

My question: Were (purchased, pre-assembled) fruit baskets given as
gifts in the 1930s -- and, if they were, what sorts of things did the
typically contain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

______________________
Gary Allen
On the Table
http://www.hvinet.com/gallen
New book: The Herbalist in the Kitchen

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:26:12 -0000, Gary > wrote:

>My question: Were (purchased, pre-assembled) fruit baskets given as
>gifts in the 1930s -- and, if they were, what sorts of things did the
>typically contain?

I can answer the first part. There are classified ads in the New York
Times.

Nov. 10, 1935: "Attractively arranged fruit baskets from $3.50;
delivered anywhere"

Dec. 19, 1934: "Gift Baskets. An assortment of rare fruits; a box of
Louis Sherry candy; crisp, salted nuts; Smyrna figs; clever,
tinfoil-wrapped chocolate Santas and tree novelties -- packed in a
gift basket, wrapped in cellophane and tied with *** satin ribbon!"
The ad mentions the availability of other baskets and hampers, but
doesn't mention contents. It's from a fruit shop in Penn Station, New
York.

Dec. 19. 1937: "The Epicure Fruit and Nut Store. Gift baskets and
table delicacies. Prompt delivieries."

There were quite a few ofther hits that I didn't look at. Almost all
of them were ads printed in November and December, so it may have been
mostly a a holiday gift phenomenon.

You might also look at etiquette books of the era.

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish

Chatsford infuser baskets HeatherB Tea 8 10-07-2006 01:20 AM
Where in the UK can I buy Proofing Baskets ? John Baking 2 27-02-2006 02:17 PM
Fabiene Gift Baskets [email protected] General Cooking 1 06-12-2005 03:06 AM
Picnic Baskets [email protected] General Cooking 24 26-04-2005 11:06 PM
Baskets & Bowls Bruce Wraa Cooking Equipment 0 12-02-2005 10:29 PM