Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Lost Brands

Does anyone remember Pop Rouge, La Grape and Rex Root Beer? What about
Nehi Orange and Grape drinks? Grapico, Orangico and Upper 10? I loved
those ice-cold cold drinks from a cooler box with the block ice on a hot
summer day.
http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...c,4090.90.html
Posted to rec.food.historic

Walter wrote:

> Does anyone remember Pop Rouge, La Grape and Rex Root Beer? What about
> Nehi Orange and Grape drinks? Grapico, Orangico and Upper 10? I loved
> those ice-cold cold drinks from a cooler box with the block ice on a hot
> summer day.
> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...c,4090.90.html

The only one that rings a bell with me is Nehi Orange. You left out
Grapette -- the only soft drink I was allowed to have when I was a tot.
It was about half the size of a regular soft drink.

Cookie
Posted to rec.food.historic

Cookie Cutter > wrote in
:

> Walter wrote:
>> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...c,4090.90.html

> The only one that rings a bell with me is Nehi Orange. You left out
> Grapette -- the only soft drink I was allowed to have when I was a
> tot.
> It was about half the size of a regular soft drink.
>
> Cookie

I have heard of Grapette but it was not sold where I grew up. I forgot to
mention one of my favorites, Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, which makes a great
float with vanilla ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 20 Jan 2008 08:38:51p, Walter told us...

There was also Nehi Peach and NuGrape. Also, Vess Cream Soda (it was red).

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
When Daddy is cleaning the gutters,
cats must nap on the ladder steps.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 20 Jan 2008 08:38:51p, Walter told us...
>

> There was also Nehi Peach and NuGrape. Also, Vess Cream Soda (it was red).

Where did you live? I've never heard of Vess.

Cookie

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Tue 22 Jan 2008 07:50:04p, Cookie Cutter told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 20 Jan 2008 08:38:51p, Walter told us...
>>

>> There was also Nehi Peach and NuGrape. Also, Vess Cream Soda (it was
>> red).
>>

> Where did you live? I've never heard of Vess.
>

> Cookie

Vess was a bottling company in St. Louis, MO, where I lived at the time.
I'm not sure what their distribution region was. I don't think Vess is in
business any longer.

My family was from NE Mississippi where Nehi bevereages, Grapette, and
NuGrape were very common and very popular.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
It is the journey that matters, in the end.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> My family was from NE Mississippi where Nehi bevereages, Grapette, and
> NuGrape were very common and very popular.

Same in Texas where I grew up. Along with Dr Pepper, RC Cola, Barq's
Root Beer, Big Red and probably more that I can't remember.

Cookie
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:53:39 -0600, "TMOliver"
> wrote:

>"Nehi" was "parent brand" name, flavored provided by the parent and
>franchised to bottlers, in memory likely across the South and Southwest.
>Flavored "sodas" were bigger in the South, where we grew up on "Sweet Tea".
>
>Their numbers decline, although "Big Red", the parent recently sold, grew in
>the Southwest. First developed by the Perfection company, a producer of
>commercial artificial flavors, it shares with Dr. Pepper of having been
>"invented" in Waco, Texas within a few blocks of each other.
>
>XXX was a root beer franchise...
>
>"An RC and a Moon Pie" were a Southern staple snack pack.

Definition of a "good ole boy":

A guy who can drink a beer, chew tobacco, and eat a moon pie all at
once.

----
Diogenes )

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat 26 Jan 2008 10:53:39a, TMOliver told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

>>> Where did you live? I've never heard of Vess.
>>>

>>> Cookie
>>>

>> Vess was a bottling company in St. Louis, MO, where I lived at the
>> time. I'm not sure what their distribution region was. I don't think
>> Vess is in business any longer.
>>
>> My family was from NE Mississippi where Nehi bevereages, Grapette, and
>> NuGrape were very common and very popular.
>>

> "Nehi" was "parent brand" name, flavored provided by the parent and
> franchised to bottlers, in memory likely across the South and Southwest.
> Flavored "sodas" were bigger in the South, where we grew up on "Sweet
> Tea".

That soundsw about right.

> Their numbers decline, although "Big Red", the parent recently sold,
> grew in the Southwest. First developed by the Perfection company, a
> producer of commercial artificial flavors, it shares with Dr. Pepper of
> having been "invented" in Waco, Texas within a few blocks of each other.
>
> XXX was a root beer franchise...
>
> "An RC and a Moon Pie" were a Southern staple snack pack.

I remember it well!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Mashed potatoes can be your friend.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat 26 Jan 2008 06:33:06p, Cookie Cutter told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> My family was from NE Mississippi where Nehi bevereages, Grapette, and
>> NuGrape were very common and very popular.
>>

> Same in Texas where I grew up. Along with Dr Pepper, RC Cola, Barq's
> Root Beer, Big Red and probably more that I can't remember.
>
> Cookie

The only one I don't remember in MS was Barg's. Hires was common there.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must attack the answering machine
and purr all over it.

Posted to rec.food.historic

People who've never seen nor tasted the stuff are probably aware of
grape Nehi, thanks to Radar O'Reillly in "MASH" and a few other pop-
culture references. I think it and Yoo-Hoo are still available,
somewhere in the Cadbury Schweppes lineup.

I remember Upper 10 but haven't seen it in a long time -- I think it
too was part of the Nehi/Royal Crown empire, sort of their answer to 7-
Up. A Northwestern University website circa 2004 recommended Upper
10 among the soda selections at a local catfish joint. A Wikipedia
article suggests it might still be around in some countries, made by
the Cott corporation, but the Cott website doesn't mention it.

Dunno how faithfully the original or at least vintage recipes are
still in use, and in particular whether high-fructose corn syrup is
used.

Two that I vaguely remember seeing from childhood, which even then
were probably in the realm of mysterious old bottles rather than
anything that I saw in the store or tasted: "Tom Boy" soda and
something whose name I forget but whose slogan was "Made Its Way By
The Way It's Made." (The latter struck me as a fairly local or
regional brand for some reason.) This ring any bells?

Best cookie brands Val22 General 0 21-03-2014 12:27 AM
Help I lost a recipe . . . (actually I lost the book) Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 7 07-11-2008 01:07 PM
Lost Brands Walter General 0 01-07-2007 01:35 AM
Lost Brands Walter General Cooking 31 12-06-2007 03:41 AM