Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lost Brands

I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
many local brands. What to do? See
http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 7:28 pm, Walter > wrote:
> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

Shakey's still exists. They used to be here in St. Louis when I was a
kid, but haven't been for 30+ years.
http://www.shakeyspizza.ph/
Their pizza was not very good.
This place, Shakespeare's Pizza, is great:
http://www.shakespeares.com/

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:28:37 GMT, Walter > wrote:

>I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
>Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
>paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
>many local brands. What to do? See
>http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

Shakeys Pizza is just as crappy as it ever was, I get Rinso detergent
and bleach at the 99 Cents store, which also carries Pepsodent. Never
heard of the other products, probably local/regional brands?

Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in
:

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:28:37 GMT, Walter >
> wrote:
>
>>I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker
>>Fruitcakes, Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette
>>Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso
>>detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many, many local
>>brands. What to do? See

http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

> Shakeys Pizza is just as crappy as it ever was, I get Rinso
> detergent and bleach at the 99 Cents store, which also carries
> Pepsodent. Never heard of the other products, probably
> local/regional brands?
>
> Cathy

Not local Sealtest, Halo & Babbo.
I never heard of Jane Parker or Stopette myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:28:37 GMT, Walter > wrote:
>
>> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
>> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
>> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
>> many local brands. What to do? See

http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

> Shakeys Pizza is just as crappy as it ever was, I get Rinso detergent
> and bleach at the 99 Cents store, which also carries Pepsodent. Never
> heard of the other products, probably local/regional brands?
>
> Cathy

Jane Parker was the A&P grocery chain's brand.
Sealtest was an eastern (new England?) brand.
Halo, Stopette, Babbo, etc. were popular in the 50's.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Walter wrote:
> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do?

Sunshine cookies (especially "Lemon Coolers")

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

> Shakeys Pizza is just as crappy as it ever was, I get Rinso detergent
> and bleach at the 99 Cents store, which also carries Pepsodent. Never
> heard of the other products, probably local/regional brands?

We haven't had one in my area since the mid eighties. But Shakey's was
*the* college hangout in the mid to late sixties at the University of
Nevada. And we had to drive a mile or two to get there. It was a
dangerous road from campus but nobody died while I was there.
I miss Nesbitt's orange pop and Crosse and Blackwell's chow chow. To be
specific, C&B used to make florets of cauliflower, pearl onions and
pickle rounds in mustard sauce. Now they only seem to make the same
thing as small relish bits which is OK, I guess. It isn't the same. And
we used to buy dill pickle relish. I can't find that either. I guess I
could make my own.
What else? Oh, I'd like to try Chef Boyardee 'pizza in a box' one more
time just to see how bad it was. I used to love it. We had no pizza
places in my town, and I had no experience eating real pizza.
I used to gag down finnan haddie when my mom bought it regularly in the
fifties in a small town. I bet the city I live in now couldn't drum up a
portion on a bet. I'd like to try it again, and I could, thanks to the
net. Unfortunately, my wife would die horribly at the first bite. I
vaguely remember it as saffron colored and salty.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Walter wrote:
> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See
> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

There is still a Shakey's in Springfield, IL, still the same bad pizza
but great fried chicken and Mojo potatoes - Yumm!

Sealtest is still in business, its main plant is here in Peoria, IL, but
their ice cream is packaged as Prarie Farm brand now.

Later,
BobSlo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What ever happened to "Good'n'Fruity"?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Walter wrote:
> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See
> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

I used to be able to buy a salsa brand called Chapala that was made in
Iowa, but not shipped east of the Mississippi. I think it has since
gone our of business, but man was it tasty.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz said...

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:42:09 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> What ever happened to "Good'n'Fruity"?

> We have you.
>
> -sw

You DON'T want my answer to that. Do you???

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz said...

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:28:23 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz said...

>>> We have you.

>> You DON'T want my answer to that. Do you???

> Bring it on!

OK... standby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What else? Oh, I'd like to try Chef Boyardee 'pizza in a box' one more
> time just to see how bad it was. I used to love it. We had no pizza
> places in my town, and I had no experience eating real pizza.
> I used to gag down finnan haddie when my mom bought it regularly in the
> fifties in a small town. I bet the city I live in now couldn't drum up a
> portion on a bet. I'd like to try it again, and I could, thanks to the
> net. Unfortunately, my wife would die horribly at the first bite. I
> vaguely remember it as saffron colored and salty.
>
> leo
>
> --
> <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Well if you are serious about the pizza I can still buy Chef Boyardee
in Detroit.
I'd be happy to send you some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Walter" > wrote in message
>I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See
> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

You miss Sealtest? It was average, at best. Any decent grocery store and
most gas station/c-stores carry at least one brand that makes Sealtest easy
to forget.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvakrin Shampoo, Ipana toothpaste
I have to go back east to get Lestoil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:
> Silvakrin Shampoo, Ipana toothpaste
> I have to go back east to get Lestoil.

Remember Bucky Beaver? "It's better for your teee-eeth!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
> > Silvakrin Shampoo, Ipana toothpaste
> > I have to go back east to get Lestoil.

> Remember Bucky Beaver? "It's better for your teee-eeth!"

Remember tooth powder instead of paste. That is all we had at our house
when I a little one. It wasn't until the late 50s that my mother started
buying tooth paste. Up to that point there were more varieties of tooth
powder on the store shelves than paste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 7:28 pm, Walter > wrote:
> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

Some of these brands are available here in the Midwest. I miss
Rockwood mints (don't make them any more - vital for a cookie recipe I
have) or a sweet-tart kind of candy my son is hankering for - "Tiger
Bites."

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
TerryinDTW > wrote:

> Well if you are serious about the pizza I can still buy Chef Boyardee
> in Detroit.
> I'd be happy to send you some.

Thanks so much for the offer. I haven't seen the box in forty years.
Perhaps I should look harder. I would just want one for nostalgia's
sake. I make far better pizza than was in the box.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote

> TerryinDTW > wrote:
>
>> Well if you are serious about the pizza I can still buy Chef Boyardee
>> in Detroit.
>> I'd be happy to send you some.

> Thanks so much for the offer. I haven't seen the box in forty years.
> Perhaps I should look harder. I would just want one for nostalgia's
> sake. I make far better pizza than was in the box.

Of course you do! We know that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> TerryinDTW > wrote:
>
>> Well if you are serious about the pizza I can still buy Chef Boyardee
>> in Detroit.
>> I'd be happy to send you some.

> Thanks so much for the offer. I haven't seen the box in forty years.
> Perhaps I should look harder. I would just want one for nostalgia's
> sake. I make far better pizza than was in the box.
>
> leo

Maybe you just aren't looking in the right aisle. I can find it at both of
my grocery stores. I won't buy it though.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> Maybe you just aren't looking in the right aisle. I can find it at both of
> my grocery stores. I won't buy it though.

Don't! It's only a blast from my past. It was the first pizza I ever
ate. I was thirteen and wouldn't see commercial pizza for four years. If
I remember, there was some flour with instructions on how to make the
dough, a can of pizza sauce and some dry parmesan looking cheese to
spread on it. I certainly didn't have a pizza pan and am left wondering
what I put the dough on. I don't remember.
But it might be fun for my oldest granddaughter, although she has
watched grandpa make a real pizza. Well... my definition of real pizza.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ms P" > wrote:
>
>> Maybe you just aren't looking in the right aisle. I can find it at both
>> of
>> my grocery stores. I won't buy it though.

> Don't! It's only a blast from my past. It was the first pizza I ever
> ate. I was thirteen and wouldn't see commercial pizza for four years. If
> I remember, there was some flour with instructions on how to make the
> dough, a can of pizza sauce and some dry parmesan looking cheese to
> spread on it. I certainly didn't have a pizza pan and am left wondering
> what I put the dough on. I don't remember.
> But it might be fun for my oldest granddaughter, although she has
> watched grandpa make a real pizza. Well... my definition of real pizza.
>
> leo

It's the only kind of pizza I had as a kid too. I think I was in my teens
before I had any other kind of pizza. Every once in awhile I have to have a
pizza with only sauce, parmesan cheese and hamburger. I use homemade crust
and good sauce and cheese though!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Walter > wrote:

> I miss may so many famous lost brands such as Jane Parker Fruitcakes,
> Sealtest Ice Cream, Halo Shampoo, Stopette Deodorant, Pepsodent tooth
> paste, Babbo Cleanser, Rinso detergent, Shakey's Pizza, etc., plust many,
> many local brands. What to do? See
> http://www.neworleans.com/forum/inde...ic,4090.0.html

Rinso went off the market here in New Zealand in the late '80s (I
think). It didn't work very well in cold water, and a lot of NZ'ers use
cold water washes to save electricity.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Late to this thread, but where is good ole Chef Boyardee's box pizza
mix? When I was in (boarding) high school at Lakenheath American HS in
Suffolk,.England, we used to go over to the PX and get this stuff to
make back in the dorm. This used to be one of my guilty pleasures...up
until I couldn't find it anymore :-( Stuff was like bad marinara
smeared cardboard with bad cheese - great stuff!!
Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:43:34 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Late to this thread, but where is good ole Chef Boyardee's box pizza
>mix? When I was in (boarding) high school at Lakenheath American HS in
>Suffolk,.England, we used to go over to the PX and get this stuff to
>make back in the dorm. This used to be one of my guilty pleasures...up
>until I couldn't find it anymore :-( Stuff was like bad marinara
>smeared cardboard with bad cheese - great stuff!!
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

How hungry are you?

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/sho...1&id=307&newp=

Boron

P.S. The Apian way stuff was better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:43:34 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
>>Late to this thread, but where is good ole Chef Boyardee's box pizza
>>mix? When I was in (boarding) high school at Lakenheath American HS in
>>Suffolk,.England, we used to go over to the PX and get this stuff to
>>make back in the dorm. This used to be one of my guilty pleasures...up
>>until I couldn't find it anymore :-( Stuff was like bad marinara
>>smeared cardboard with bad cheese - great stuff!!
>>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> How hungry are you?
>
> http://www.hometownfavorites.com/sho...1&id=307&newp=
>
> Boron
>
> P.S. The Apian way stuff was better.

You can still get the Chef Boyardee pizza stuff. The Apian way one is the
one they've quit making and it was way better.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:03:06 -0400, Boron Elgar
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:43:34 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>>Late to this thread, but where is good ole Chef Boyardee's box pizza
>>mix? When I was in (boarding) high school at Lakenheath American HS in
>>Suffolk,.England, we used to go over to the PX and get this stuff to
>>make back in the dorm. This used to be one of my guilty pleasures...up
>>until I couldn't find it anymore :-( Stuff was like bad marinara
>>smeared cardboard with bad cheese - great stuff!!

>How hungry are you?
>
>http://www.hometownfavorites.com/sho...1&id=307&newp=

Boron <sniff!> Mi amiga! How can I possibly repay you for this
wonderful link?

OTOH, maybe lingering in memory was more tasty. Stay tuned to this
station.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Best cookie brands Val22 General 0 21-03-2014 12:27 AM
Help I lost a recipe . . . (actually I lost the book) Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 7 07-11-2008 01:07 PM
Lost Brands Walter Historic 10 07-02-2008 01:27 AM
Lost Brands Walter General 0 01-07-2007 01:35 AM