Posted to rec.food.historic

Default parched corn

I moved way down South and no longer can attend the many festivals in Indiana
where parched corn was served as a treat.

This is a Native American dish.

I would greatly appreciate directions to make/ a recipe/ possible web sights/
any kind of help. Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:49:23 -0500, Vandy Terre
> wrote:

>I moved way down South and no longer can attend the many festivals in Indiana
>where parched corn was served as a treat.
>
>This is a Native American dish.
>
>I would greatly appreciate directions to make/ a recipe/ possible web sights/
>any kind of help. Thank you.

There are several sets of instruction on the internet.

Here are two of the many I found by entering it on google..
http://www.historicaltrekking.com/fo...sages/20.shtml

http://woodfolks.com/corn.htm

They are variations around: "dry corn then fry it in a scillet with
oil or bacon grease".
Some assume more modern ingredients than others (eg frozen corn, oil
spray...)

Posted to rec.food.historic

<Russell> wrote...
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:49:23 -0500, Vandy Terre
> > wrote:
>
>>I moved way down South and no longer can attend the many festivals in
>>Indiana
>>where parched corn was served as a treat.
>>
>>This is a Native American dish.
>>
>>I would greatly appreciate directions to make/ a recipe/ possible web
>>sights/
>>any kind of help. Thank you.

> There are several sets of instruction on the internet.
>
> Here are two of the many I found by entering it on google..
> http://www.historicaltrekking.com/fo...sages/20.shtml
>
> http://woodfolks.com/corn.htm
>
> They are variations around: "dry corn then fry it in a scillet with
> oil or bacon grease".
> Some assume more modern ingredients than others (eg frozen corn, oil
> spray...)

The Southern alternative (and equally "Native American" in origin) is
hominy, available canned and positively flavorless except from additions) or
from some specialty suppliers in the "authentic" dried form.

A better equivalent, available in New Mexico and Mexico fancy food suppliers
is "Posole", real Native American - Yes the preConquest populace was "Native
American", and often far more sophisticated than the tribes of what is now
the US - dried hominy requiring slow cooking....In Mexican and New Mexican
cuisine, "Posole" is often served as a stew with pork and green chilies. In
Mexico as similar dish is popular in some regions, but the ultimate is
"Menudo" a grand stew of tripe, posole, pig feet, hog maws and spices, all
served up with chopped raw jalapeno, chopped onions and fresh limes....

To die for, cures hangovers ("para la cruda" on TShirts), and spiritually
stimulating....

TMO