Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Looking for Corn (real corn) Muffin recipe

When I was a kid, my grandmother made muffins using real kernels of corn
in them.
She put little bits of either cooked bacon or smoked ham in them, all
smoked by her, and whichever she had on hand.
She usually put in some dried fruit, often marsh cranberries as we got
these from our own bog on the farm.

I've searched the Internet and have found all kinds of 'corn' muffins,
but they all seem to be 'cornmeal' muffins.

Granny was a Huron Indian and cooked with what was available so she
never had recipes; it was all in her head.

Thanks in advance
Lee in Toronto

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Here's something similar:
Kentucky Spoon Bread

Have on hand an 8X8" baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or
buttered. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (US)

Sift together:
1/4 cup plain flour (can be whole wheat if you prefer)
1 tablespoon sugar (adjust to your personal tastes)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
3/4 cup yellow corn meal*
(* an 8 oz. cornmeal mix can be substituted for this section of the recipe
if you're in a hurry)

Stir into the dry ingredients:
1/4 lb (1 stick) of butter at room temperature
1 beaten egg
1 cup sour cream
approx 3 cups leftover creamed corn*
(* a drained 14 oz can of corn and a 14 oz can of creamed corn may be
substituted for this recipe item if you're in a hurry)

Turn batter into buttered baking dish. (Some pour on an additional quarter
cup of milk on top before baking--keeps moist and imparts an attractive
sheen to the finished product.) Bake for at least 45 minutes or until edges
are golden and crusty and the center is custardy and soft--hence the name
'spoonbread'. Theoretically serves 6, but don't bet on it: half of it often
disappears somewhere between the oven and the table!

In ,
Lee > stated
| When I was a kid, my grandmother made muffins using real kernels of
| corn
| in them.
| She put little bits of either cooked bacon or smoked ham in them, all
| smoked by her, and whichever she had on hand.
| She usually put in some dried fruit, often marsh cranberries as we got
| these from our own bog on the farm.
|
| I've searched the Internet and have found all kinds of 'corn'
| muffins,
| but they all seem to be 'cornmeal' muffins.
|
| Granny was a Huron Indian and cooked with what was available so she
| never had recipes; it was all in her head.
|
| Thanks in advance
| Lee in Toronto
|
| Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
| http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Joan F (MI) wrote:
> Here's something similar:
> Kentucky Spoon Bread

Joan...... thanks very much. This looks something like I'm looking for.
I'm going to try it as is and then play with adding bacon, etc.
Regards
Lee in Toronto