Mario

Default Port wine grading system, how does it work ?

Dear Sirs,

Can anyone please explain me or refer me someone that can explain me
very well the grading system of Port wine:

I want to know the follwing table score are given according to what
factor value ?

I mean the score are given how ? accoridng to what value of the left
hand side factor considered and listed in the below table ?

Grading Table

factors considered minimum score maximum score

soil and climate

location -50 600

altitude -900 240

slope of land 1 101

bedrock -400 100

rough matter 0 80

exposure -30 100

shelter 0 60

agricultural

yield -900 120

vine stock -300 420

planting density -50 50

training system -500 100

age 0 60

Dapendign on score result we get:

class score

a >1200

b between 1001 and 1200 points

c between 801 and 1000 points

d between 601 and 800 points

e between 401 and 600 points

f between 201 and 400 points

Thanks,

Mario
Robert A.M. van Lopik

Mario,

the system is explained in the book I mentioned: "Port and the Douro" by
Richard Mayson, page 64. It is a bit to lengthy to retype here ;-)
Please note that this is not a grading system for the wine, but for the
vineyard, the plot of land where the wine comes from.

More info may be found at the site of the "Instituto do Vinho do Porto",
e.g. http://www.ivp.pt/uk/Viticultura/

(also in Portuguese or French, so you can find out which is more similar :-)

ciao
rob van lopik

"Mario" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear Sirs,
>

> Can anyone please explain me or refer me someone that can explain me
> very well the grading system of Port wine:
>
> I want to know the follwing table score are given according to what
> factor value ?
>
> I mean the score are given how ? accoridng to what value of the left
> hand side factor considered and listed in the below table ?
>
> Grading Table
>
> factors considered minimum score maximum score
>
> soil and climate
>
> location -50 600
>
> altitude -900 240
>
> slope of land 1 101
>
> bedrock -400 100
>
> rough matter 0 80
>
> exposure -30 100
>
> shelter 0 60
>
> agricultural
>
> yield -900 120
>
> vine stock -300 420
>
> planting density -50 50
>
> training system -500 100
>
> age 0 60
>

> Dapendign on score result we get:
>
> class score
>
> a >1200
>
> b between 1001 and 1200 points
>
> c between 801 and 1000 points
>
> d between 601 and 800 points
>
> e between 401 and 600 points
>
> f between 201 and 400 points
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mario

---

Mario

Rob,

Thanks so much, so in this book they explain how the points are given
accordign to vineyard characteristics?

Great I must buy this book then

Only one page they explain all ? or from page 64 on ?

They explain each vineyard characteristic how many points give
according to its value?

Thanks,

Mario

> Mario,
>
> the system is explained in the book I mentioned: "Port and the Douro" by
> Richard Mayson, page 64. It is a bit to lengthy to retype here ;-)
> Please note that this is not a grading system for the wine, but for the
> vineyard, the plot of land where the wine comes from.
>
> More info may be found at the site of the "Instituto do Vinho do Porto",
> e.g. http://www.ivp.pt/uk/Viticultura/
>
> (also in Portuguese or French, so you can find out which is more similar :-)
>
> ciao
> rob van lopik
>

> "Mario" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Dear Sirs,
> >

> > Can anyone please explain me or refer me someone that can explain me
> > very well the grading system of Port wine:
> >
> > I want to know the follwing table score are given according to what
> > factor value ?
> >
> > I mean the score are given how ? accoridng to what value of the left
> > hand side factor considered and listed in the below table ?
> >
> > Grading Table
> >
> > factors considered minimum score maximum score
> >
> > soil and climate
> >
> > location -50 600
> >
> > altitude -900 240
> >
> > slope of land 1 101
> >
> > bedrock -400 100
> >
> > rough matter 0 80
> >
> > exposure -30 100
> >
> > shelter 0 60
> >
> > agricultural
> >
> > yield -900 120
> >
> > vine stock -300 420
> >
> > planting density -50 50
> >
> > training system -500 100
> >
> > age 0 60
> >

> > Dapendign on score result we get:
> >
> > class score
> >
> > a >1200
> >
> > b between 1001 and 1200 points
> >
> > c between 801 and 1000 points
> >
> > d between 601 and 800 points
> >
> > e between 401 and 600 points
> >
> > f between 201 and 400 points
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mario

> ---

Mark Fagan

if you're interested in comparing the wine, your best bet is to go to
www.winespectator.com and either search for articles on Port, or else enter
the names of the specific wine you're interested in.

"Mario" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear Sirs,
>

> Can anyone please explain me or refer me someone that can explain me
> very well the grading system of Port wine:
>
> I want to know the follwing table score are given according to what
> factor value ?
>
> I mean the score are given how ? accoridng to what value of the left
> hand side factor considered and listed in the below table ?
>
> Grading Table
>
> factors considered minimum score maximum score
>
> soil and climate
>
> location -50 600
>
> altitude -900 240
>
> slope of land 1 101
>
> bedrock -400 100
>
> rough matter 0 80
>
> exposure -30 100
>
> shelter 0 60
>
> agricultural
>
> yield -900 120
>
> vine stock -300 420
>
> planting density -50 50
>
> training system -500 100
>
> age 0 60
>

> Dapendign on score result we get:
>
> class score
>
> a >1200
>
> b between 1001 and 1200 points
>
> c between 801 and 1000 points
>
> d between 601 and 800 points
>
> e between 401 and 600 points
>
> f between 201 and 400 points
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mario

Robert A.M. van Lopik

"Mario" > wrote in message
om...
> Rob,
>
> Thanks so much, so in this book they explain how the points are given
> accordign to vineyard characteristics?
>
> Great I must buy this book then
>
> Only one page they explain all ? or from page 64 on ?

No, 4 pages.

> They explain each vineyard characteristic how many points give
> according to its value?

Not in detail. As I said, I am not going to retype, but one short example
from the book willl do:
"Soil type: a maximum of 100 points is awarded to schistous soils, minus 100
for soils described as 'transitional', minus 250 for granite and minus 400
for alluvium. The latter are virtually non-existent, since the valley floor
was flooded in the 1970s."

BTW, he also gives a list of the major quintas with their ratings. Not
surprisingly, being "major" most of them are 'A'.

The grading system, "Método de Pontuação", was devised in 1947. It mainly
serves to establish the so-called "benifício". See e.g.
http://www.cirdd.pt/pt/i_comunicado.htm where you will also find that a
revision of the system is being considered.

ciao
rob van lopik

---