Robert Klute

Default Pukka mealtimes

On 30 Sep 2003 21:21:13 GMT, Adrian Tupper

:

>> Chota Hazri - Five Thirty (05h30)

>What's one o' them then?

Pukka and Chota Hazri are Hindi words adopted by the English during the
time of the Raj. Pukka means, basically, 'well cooked'. For the
English it came to mean first class or proper. Chota Hazri is little
breakfast or early morning tea taken before dawn. For the English, it
means bed tea or light breakfast snack. Burra Hazri would be the later
big breakfast.
mUs1Ka

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> On 30 Sep 2003 21:21:13 GMT, Adrian Tupper
> > wrote:
>
> >"Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in news:3F795E9E.6050601
> :
> >

> >> Chota Hazri - Five Thirty (05h30)

> >What's one o' them then?

> Pukka and Chota Hazri are Hindi words adopted by the English during the
> time of the Raj. Pukka means, basically, 'well cooked'. For the
> English it came to mean first class or proper. Chota Hazri is little
> breakfast or early morning tea taken before dawn. For the English, it
> means bed tea or light breakfast snack. Burra Hazri would be the later
> big breakfast.

Care is needed with the pronunciation. Burra (often, bara) has the u of
'cup' and means big. Burra with the u of 'full' means bad. You eat it, you
choose.
m.

Peter H.M. Brooks

"mUs1Ka" > wrote in message

> "Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> > On 30 Sep 2003 21:21:13 GMT, Adrian Tupper
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >"Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in news:3F795E9E.6050601
> > :

> > >What's one o' them then?

> > Pukka and Chota Hazri are Hindi words adopted by the English during the
> > time of the Raj. Pukka means, basically, 'well cooked'. For the
> > English it came to mean first class or proper. Chota Hazri is little
> > breakfast or early morning tea taken before dawn. For the English, it
> > means bed tea or light breakfast snack. Burra Hazri would be the later
> > big breakfast.

> Care is needed with the pronunciation. Burra (often, bara) has the u of
> 'cup' and means big. Burra with the u of 'full' means bad. You eat it, you
> choose.

What a useful distinction to bear in mind if you have an unpleasant
breakfast!

--
'They.. sucked the Tobacco smoak in greedily, swallow it down with the
Water. For which reason..generally at..the first Pipe in the Morning, they

MC_Emily

> Care is needed with the pronunciation. Burra (often, bara) has the u
> of 'cup' and means big. Burra with the u of 'full' means bad. You eat
> it, you choose.

Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

Jaqy

---

mUs1Ka

"MC_Emily" > wrote in message
> > Care is needed with the pronunciation. Burra (often, bara) has the u
> > of 'cup' and means big. Burra with the u of 'full' means bad. You eat
> > it, you choose.

> Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

I knew somebody was going to say that. I was going to go into a further
description of the cup sound, but in the end, I couldn't be arsed.
m.

MC_Emily

"mUs1Ka" > wrote

> > Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

> I knew somebody was going to say that. I was going to go into a further
> description of the cup sound, but in the end, I couldn't be arsed.
> m.

Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

Jaqy

---

Don Aitken

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:34:52 +0100, "MC_Emily" >
wrote:

>"mUs1Ka" > wrote
>
>> > Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

>> I knew somebody was going to say that. I was going to go into a further
>> description of the cup sound, but in the end, I couldn't be arsed.
>> m.

>Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

I believe so. Where I was brought up (Cumbria) we make one vowel do
for "cup", "full" and "love".

--
Don Aitken

Mail to the addresses given in the headers is no longer being
read. To mail me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com".
MC_Emily

"Don Aitken" > wrote

> >Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

> I believe so. Where I was brought up (Cumbria) we make one vowel do
> for "cup", "full" and "love".

Yeah, me too (Blackpool born and bred).

Jaqy

---

Robert Klute

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:58:43 +0100, "mUs1Ka" > wrote:

>Care is needed with the pronunciation. Burra (often, bara) has the u of
>'cup' and means big. Burra with the u of 'full' means bad. You eat it, you
>choose.

I know, the burra mem sahib has hit upside of the head a couple of times
when my 'mis-pronounciation' was too well timed.