Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Barley Pilaf

Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.

Barley Pilaf

1/3 c. pearl barley
1 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. chicken or veggie stock
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 Tbs. minced parsley

Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:35:03 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
>dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
>Barley Pilaf
>
>1/3 c. pearl barley
>1 Tbs. butter
>2 Tbs. minced onion
>1 clove garlic, minced
>1 c. chicken or veggie stock
>1/2 tsp. celery salt
>1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
>Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
>tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
>ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
>liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

Thanks! This sounds very good. I love barley!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:35:03 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
>dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
>Barley Pilaf
>
>1/3 c. pearl barley
>1 Tbs. butter
>2 Tbs. minced onion
>1 clove garlic, minced
>1 c. chicken or veggie stock
>1/2 tsp. celery salt
>1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
>Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
>tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
>ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
>liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

I was just flipping through Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for
One" last night and came upon her recipe for barley pilaf, and thought
that I'd like to make it soon. When the temps come down reliably to
the low 80's. Hopefully soon :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:35:03 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice
>> side dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>>
>> Barley Pilaf
>>

> Thanks! This sounds very good. I love barley!
>
> Carol

You're welcome. It's been a tasty side dish in my home for 20 years. It
also is a nice addition to thicken vegetable soup to help thicken and add a
little "oomph". I love barley, too! But don't let's tell everyone,
otherwise they'll start serving barley in all the restaurants and the price
will go up! Barley is still inexpensive.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> 1/3 c. pearl barley
> 1 Tbs. butter
> 2 Tbs. minced onion
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 c. chicken or veggie stock
> 1/2 tsp. celery salt
> 1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
> ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
> liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.
>
> Jill

Sounds good, but could it be made in a rice cooker? Mine is a combo
rice cooker and steamer?....tia...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> 1/3 c. pearl barley
> 1 Tbs. butter
> 2 Tbs. minced onion
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 c. chicken or veggie stock
> 1/2 tsp. celery salt
> 1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
> ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
> liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

Looks good! I make a stovetop version of barley pilaf as a side dish quite
often (Penzey's Fox Point is a nice seasoning to use in this). We love
barley in this house. Will use it in place of rice in different
dishes--e.g., stuffed cabbage.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 27 Aug 2006 06:35:03a, jmcquown meant to say...

> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> 1/3 c. pearl barley
> 1 Tbs. butter
> 2 Tbs. minced onion
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 c. chicken or veggie stock
> 1/2 tsp. celery salt
> 1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
> ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
> liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

This sounds delicious and very similar to what I make. I also add sliced
fresh mushrooms that have been sauteed in butter.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> 1/3 c. pearl barley
> 1 Tbs. butter
> 2 Tbs. minced onion
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 c. chicken or veggie stock
> 1/2 tsp. celery salt
> 1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the remaining
> ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until
> liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.
>
> Jill

Totally agree. :-)

I use it once in awhile, but not nearly as often as I should.
I use a lot of red and black rice tho'.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I use a lot of red and black rice tho'.

Is that black rice grown down your way or is it imported? The black rice
I've seen here is more often than not labelled "Vietnamese" black rice...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf

This sounds delicious, Jill. I'm one of those guilty of only treating
barley as a stretcher -- I've only added it to soups. I'll definately
try this. Has anyone found an advantage to toasting it in the pan with
the butter before adding the liquid? I do it with rice when I want
that toasty pilaf flavor, but not sure if the same thing goes with
barley.

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sandy wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice
>> side dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>>
>> Barley Pilaf
>>

> This sounds delicious, Jill. I'm one of those guilty of only treating
> barley as a stretcher -- I've only added it to soups. I'll definately
> try this. Has anyone found an advantage to toasting it in the pan
> with the butter before adding the liquid? I do it with rice when I
> want
> that toasty pilaf flavor, but not sure if the same thing goes with
> barley.
>
> Sandy

Can't see why it would hurt, although I've never toasted it. And as for
others who replied, sure, add whatever you like to the "pilaf". Onion,
celery, mushrooms, carrots, garlic... just make sure there's enough liquid.
Barley is a very adaptable thing, rather like rice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> Barley Pilaf

I would call it "kasha", not pilaff. "Kasha" is generic porrige or
gruel of any consistency made from any kind of cereal; it is only
monolingual anglophones who use the word in the sense of "buckwheat
groats" only. Barley kasha is common in Russia and Poland. "Pilaff",
on the other hand, is, or should be, generally rice-specific.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 28 Aug 2006 09:04:15a, jmcquown meant to say...

> Sandy wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice
>>> side dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>>>
>>> Barley Pilaf
>>>

>> This sounds delicious, Jill. I'm one of those guilty of only treating
>> barley as a stretcher -- I've only added it to soups. I'll definately
>> try this. Has anyone found an advantage to toasting it in the pan
>> with the butter before adding the liquid? I do it with rice when I
>> want that toasty pilaf flavor, but not sure if the same thing goes
>> with barley.
>>
>> Sandy

> Can't see why it would hurt, although I've never toasted it. And as for
> others who replied, sure, add whatever you like to the "pilaf". Onion,
> celery, mushrooms, carrots, garlic... just make sure there's enough
> liquid. Barley is a very adaptable thing, rather like rice.
>
> Jill

I have toasted barley, dry, in the oven on a cookie sheet. It really
gives it a nutty flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Why Hello, Mister `Bring-Back-The-Death-Penalty!'
- Bloom County

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute
> until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the
> remaining
> ingredients to the barley.

How much time after adding the barley should we add the other
ingredients?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Barley is not just a "stretcher" in soups & stews. It makes a nice
> side
> dish as well in place of rice or pasta or potatoes.
>
> Barley Pilaf
>
> 1/3 c. pearl barley
> 1 Tbs. butter
> 2 Tbs. minced onion
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 c. chicken or veggie stock
> 1/2 tsp. celery salt
> 1 Tbs. minced parsley
>
> Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute
> until
> tender. Add to barley in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Add the
> remaining
> ingredients to the barley. Cover and bake at 325F for 1 hour, or
> until
> liquid is absorbed. Serves 2; may be doubled.

Please help me understand: why is the "pilaf?" I thought pilaf is
steamed or sautéed in bouillon or broth, and served with meat, poultry
or shellfish.

Please set me straight here. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Barley Pilaf

> I would call it "kasha", not pilaff. "Kasha" is generic porrige or
> gruel of any consistency made from any kind of cereal; it is only
> monolingual anglophones who use the word in the sense of "buckwheat
> groats" only. Barley kasha is common in Russia and Poland. "Pilaff",
> on the other hand, is, or should be, generally rice-specific.
>
> Victor

I think most Yiddish-speaking people would consider "kasha" to mean
"buckwheat."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > wrote
> >
> > I would call it "kasha", not pilaff. "Kasha" is generic porrige or
> > gruel of any consistency made from any kind of cereal; it is only
> > monolingual anglophones who use the word in the sense of "buckwheat
> > groats" only. Barley kasha is common in Russia and Poland. "Pilaff",
> > on the other hand, is, or should be, generally rice-specific.

> I think most Yiddish-speaking people would consider "kasha" to mean
> "buckwheat."

Only those of them who live or have lived in America, borrowing the
"meaning" from English.

Victor