Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "enhanced" meats, especially pork

A couple of weeks ago, I cooked a really, really good pork tenderloin
that I purchased from my local grocery store. It was moist, tender, and
had nice texture and flavor.

Then, I recently read an article in some publication (darn it, can't
recall which one) about the practice in the USA of "enhancing" meats,
especially pork, with up to 12% solution (mostly water?). Because most
USA meats are now considerably more lean than they used to be, this
common practice of injection is used by major meat packers to "enhance"
the flavor and tenderness of their very lean meats. Otherwise, the
meats are supposedly tough and lack flavor (?) when cooked.

Until I read this article, I must confess I was rather oblivious to this
practice of "enhancement" (I should read more labels). So now, I am
rather disconcerted to discover that it is more difficult to find meats
that have not been "enhanced" by tenderizing solutions than it is to
find the natural, unalterated product.

So, this morning while I was at the weekly farmers' market, I purchased
a pork tenderloin from a local farmer. This tenderloin has not been
"enhanced" in any way and is the "pure" thing I'll cook it the same
way as I did a couple of weeks ago for the store-bought one to tell if
there is an difference, subtle or not.

If anything gets injected into the meats I eat, I want to be the
injector! Not to mention, I do not like the idea of paying "premium"
meat prices (per pound, at that!!) for up-to-12%-added fluid (mostly
water)! In a way, I consider this to be robbery!

What does everyone else think of this practice?

Sky

-- Pork Tenderloin --

use string to tie pork tenderloin to uniform thickness
use dry rub of choice on pork tenderloin
quickly pan sear pork tenderloin on all sides
finish cooking pork tenderloin in preheated 400 degree oven
until desired "doneness" is reached
rest pork tenderloin for 10 to 20 minutes
remove strings and slice as desired
Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:

> What does everyone else think of this practice?

I've compared enhanced and non-enhanced pork chops,
and I find the enhanced pork noticably more tasty.
I read the label, and none of the ingredients were
objectionable to me at that time. (I don't recall
if any nitrates or nitrites were used -- I no longer
buy any meats which contain them anymore -- but I
doubt that they were used because this was fresh meat.)

That said, I never bother to brine meat. The
enhanced meat might not compare so well to a
home-brined meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Surely this is common practice worldwide these days for commercial pork
? I suspect that a lot of people now expect pork to have no taste.

Only answer is to look for sources of naturally reared pork ? I know
these exist in the UK ( farmers markets etc) but struggle to find them
here in France.

skyhooks wrote:

> What does everyone else think of this practice?
>
> Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"skyhooks" > wrote in message

> Then, I recently read an article in some publication (darn it, can't
> recall which one) about the practice in the USA of "enhancing" meats,
> especially pork, with up to 12% solution (mostly water?). Because most
> USA meats are now considerably more lean than they used to be, this
> common practice of injection is used by major meat packers to "enhance"

This enhancement was brought up here not too long ago in an Article in the
NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/di...=1&oref=slogin

I asked Kroger if they did this, course there was an immediate denial but
the Customer Relations dept would pass it to the Consumer affairs for
further research, haven't heard from them since. That was a loaded question
because I have seen labels denoting it as such. This is the result of the
Packing houses Prepackaged meats the stores are buying to save money. The
local butcher is pretty much gone now days. Yet it remains to be see if the
packing houses are going to get raided by ICE agents in Bush's so called
Crack down on Illegals but if so we will see a jump in prices next year.
This year too many Ranchers sent too much Beef to the slaughter houses
because of the drought

Is it safe? well, it is the same thing we are doing by brining meats. YET
it adds 10-12% more water to your meat weight. so you are buying some
expensive salted water. a 10 lb roast would be 1 lb of extra water at
5-6$ a lb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gunner wrote:

> Is it safe? well, it is the same thing we are doing by brining meats. YET
> it adds 10-12% more water to your meat weight. so you are buying some
> expensive salted water. a 10 lb roast would be 1 lb of extra water at
> 5-6$ a lb.

This is the point that bugs me most!!! I shouldn't have to pay the
"premium" price for injected water! In other words, "where's the
beef?"!!!!

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:07:19 -0500, skyhooks
> wrote:

>Gunner wrote:
>>
>> Is it safe? well, it is the same thing we are doing by brining meats. YET
>> it adds 10-12% more water to your meat weight. so you are buying some
>> expensive salted water. a 10 lb roast would be 1 lb of extra water at
>> 5-6$ a lb.

>This is the point that bugs me most!!! I shouldn't have to pay the
>"premium" price for injected water! In other words, "where's the
>beef?"!!!!
>
>Sky

http://www.eatwellguide.org/

You may be able to find a provider of pastured pork near you with the
above link. I've had the good fortune to cook and eat pastured pork
from a provider in my area (NE Texas) and I found it much better than
the stuff in the supermarket. I had to cook it a bit less than I'd
ordinarily cook pork, though -- it can get dry if it's overdone.

Also I have a thing about supporting family farmers when I can.
Michael Pollan (author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma") speaks about
thinking of your meals as votes in a food-provider election. Voting
for the opposition every now and again seems right to me.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) typed:

> You may be able to find a provider of pastured pork near you with
> the
> above link. I've had the good fortune to cook and eat pastured pork
> from a provider in my area (NE Texas) and I found it much better
> than
> the stuff in the supermarket. I had to cook it a bit less than I'd
> ordinarily cook pork, though -- it can get dry if it's overdone.
>
> Also I have a thing about supporting family farmers when I can.
> Michael Pollan (author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma") speaks about
> thinking of your meals as votes in a food-provider election. Voting
> for the opposition every now and again seems right to me.
> --
> modom
>
> "Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are
> easily traced.
> Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy
> relatives."
>
> --Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Thanks for that link. I found 9 places within 15 miles of me. 7 of
which I'd never heard of, the closest being about 8 miles from here.
I see a short shopping trip coming up tomorrow.

I'll be cooking my first BBQ competition over Labor Day weekend. I
just might have to have them order me some of my contest meat.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:

> Gunner wrote:
> >
> > Is it safe? well, it is the same thing we are doing by brining meats. YET
> > it adds 10-12% more water to your meat weight. so you are buying some
> > expensive salted water. a 10 lb roast would be 1 lb of extra water at
> > 5-6$ a lb.

> This is the point that bugs me most!!! I shouldn't have to pay the
> "premium" price for injected water! In other words, "where's the
> beef?"!!!!
>
> Sky

Why do you think you're paying a "premium" price? You're paying a low
price for the pre packaged "enhanced" meat. If you buy fresh
"unenhanced" meat from a butcher shop you will certainly pay more per
pound (or kilo) than you pay for the "enhanced" grocery store meat.

I know the "enhanced" part certainly doesn't bother me when I'm buying
pre pack pork tenderloins at $1.29 / lb. It's cheap, it's decent and it
freezes reasonably well for later use. At those prices I'm not expecting
the best pork tenderloin I ever had and what I do get is certainly not
disappointing.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> I know the "enhanced" part certainly doesn't bother me when I'm buying
> pre pack pork tenderloins at $1.29 / lb. It's cheap, it's decent and it
> freezes reasonably well for later use. At those prices I'm not expecting
> the best pork tenderloin I ever had and what I do get is certainly not
> disappointing.
>
> Pete C.

I've not seen tenderloins at $1.29 a pound since about 1964 That is the
price for bone in picnics. Loins run from about $1.89 at the club stores to
$5 at the supermarket. What is sad is that the enhanced meats are selling
for about the same as regular. I guess it varies in different regions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
> Until I read this article, I must confess I was rather oblivious to this
> practice of "enhancement" (I should read more labels). So now, I am
> rather disconcerted to discover that it is more difficult to find meats
> that have not been "enhanced" by tenderizing solutions than it is to
> find the natural, unalterated product.
>
> So, this morning while I was at the weekly farmers' market, I purchased
> a pork tenderloin from a local farmer. This tenderloin has not been
> "enhanced" in any way and is the "pure" thing I'll cook it the same
> way as I did a couple of weeks ago for the store-bought one to tell if
> there is an difference, subtle or not.
>
> If anything gets injected into the meats I eat, I want to be the
> injector! Not to mention, I do not like the idea of paying "premium"
> meat prices (per pound, at that!!) for up-to-12%-added fluid (mostly
> water)! In a way, I consider this to be robbery!
>
> What does everyone else think of this practice?
>
> Sky

I had a word to the butcher about this the other day. "Enhancing"
forsooth! In Australia it is known as "flooding" and apparently is
lamentably common.

I was told that it is done partly to give the meat that unnaturally
bright red colour you see in supermarket meat. And of course it adds to
the profits because the consumer is paying for the water. I already knew
this was the case with supermarket bacon, but I didn't know about
uncured meat.

Apparently it makes it impossible to age the meat because, being too
moist, it goes rotten. Colin regaled me with tales of trying to break up
hanging carcasses and slimy liquid runnig down his arms! He sources his
meat from one of the only two abbattoirs in the state of Victoria which
don't flood the meat.

Apart from corned beef or pickled pork, where it is intentional, I want
my meat as is.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >
> > I know the "enhanced" part certainly doesn't bother me when I'm buying
> > pre pack pork tenderloins at $1.29 / lb. It's cheap, it's decent and it
> > freezes reasonably well for later use. At those prices I'm not expecting
> > the best pork tenderloin I ever had and what I do get is certainly not
> > disappointing.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I've not seen tenderloins at $1.29 a pound since about 1964 That is the
> price for bone in picnics. Loins run from about $1.89 at the club stores to
> $5 at the supermarket. What is sad is that the enhanced meats are selling
> for about the same as regular. I guess it varies in different regions.

That's a sale price, but one frequently seen at the Albertson's and
Kroger's in my area. I don't think I've seen the regular prices above
$2.99/lb.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, " BOB" > wrote:
>modom (palindrome guy) typed:
>
>> You may be able to find a provider of pastured pork near you with
>> the above link.

Well, we might have -- if BOB hadn't cut the friggin' thing out! Oh
well, it takes all types...

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ,
Phred > typed:
> In article >, " BOB"
> >
> wrote:
>> modom (palindrome guy) typed:
>>
>>> You may be able to find a provider of pastured pork near you with
>>> the above link.

> Well, we might have -- if BOB hadn't cut the friggin' thing out! Oh
> well, it takes all types...
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

HUH?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:13:44 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

>In article >, " BOB" > wrote:
>>modom (palindrome guy) typed:
>>
>>> You may be able to find a provider of pastured pork near you with
>>> the above link.

>Well, we might have -- if BOB hadn't cut the friggin' thing out! Oh
>well, it takes all types...
>
>Cheers, Phred.

http://www.eatwellguide.org/

There ya go.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm here in Missouri and love the "home grown"version of the meats. I
even started just a couple months ago with goats, Boer Goats. Right now
they are pet's taken care of well- herbs, natural way. The youngen's
will be the meat source. (i think)
Stopped some time ago on the enhanced versions of all meat. The
chicken is the best I've ever tasted free-range. Makes the best soup
! The pork recipie sounds
great, will try. Cooking in Missouri !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
> I'm here in Missouri and love the "home grown"version of the meats. I
> even started just a couple months ago with goats, Boer Goats. Right now
> they are pet's taken care of well- herbs, natural way. The youngen's
> will be the meat source.

You want to eat GOAT?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.eatwellguide.org/

>There ya go.

Thank you for your consideration, modom. Poor old BOB didn't seem to
understand my plea for help.

Interesting site and interesting philosophy. Regrettably, not much
practical value to us here in Oz. (The Canuks seem to fare better --
has there been a takeover? Perhaps not... I hear there'll soon be
war over sea lanes up there. End of the world's "longest undefended
border"? ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:13:44 GMT, Phred wrote:
>
>> Well, we might have -- if BOB hadn't cut the friggin' thing out! Oh
>> well, it takes all types...

>You just *read* the friggen thread. Bob's post was only 2 hours
>afetr the OP you speak of. Are you that lame that you can't
>recall a post you just read minutes ago?
>
>Sheesh. It takes all types.

If the cap fits...

[Hint: Go back and *read* his post.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gunner wrote:

> I asked Kroger if they did this, course there was an immediate denial but
> the Customer Relations dept would pass it to the Consumer affairs for
> further research, haven't heard from them since. That was a loaded question
> because I have seen labels denoting it as such. This is the result of the
> Packing houses Prepackaged meats the stores are buying to save money.

From what I have been told it happened because of Walmart. Walmart
demanded prepackaged "fresh" meat with a really long shelf life. So to
do that you have to add preservatives and water. The packers actually
had to make substantial changes to produce the adulterated meat for Walmart.

The
> local butcher is pretty much gone now days.

But there are still honest stores that don't sell adulterated "fresh" meat.

Yet it remains to be see if the
> packing houses are going to get raided by ICE agents in Bush's so called
> Crack down on Illegals but if so we will see a jump in prices next year.
> This year too many Ranchers sent too much Beef to the slaughter houses
> because of the drought

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> I'm here in Missouri and love the "home grown"version of
>> the meats. I even started just a couple months ago with
>> goats, Boer Goats. Right now they are pet's taken care of
>> well- herbs, natural way. The youngen's will be the meat
>> source.

> You want to eat GOAT?

goat is delicious! better than lamb, or at least that nasty
stuff currently sold as lamb in the grocery store.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message "Pete C." wrote:
> skyhooks wrote:
> > Gunner wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it safe? well, it is the same thing we are doing by brining meats.
> > > YET it adds 10-12% more water to your meat weight. so you are buying
> > > some expensive salted water. a 10 lb roast would be 1 lb of extra
> > > water at 5-6$ a lb.

> > This is the point that bugs me most!!! I shouldn't have to pay the
> > "premium" price for injected water! In other words, "where's the
> > beef?"!!!!

> Why do you think you're paying a "premium" price?
> I know the "enhanced" part certainly doesn't bother me when I'm buying pre
> pack pork tenderloins at $1.29 / lb. It's cheap, it's decent and it freezes
> reasonably well for later use. At those prices I'm not expecting the best
> pork tenderloin I ever had and what I do get is certainly not
> disappointing.

This really bothers me. I've just debated, with an American email friend, the
development and overall control of supermarkets and other retail outlets. I
feared that the roller coaster development of these American giants has had a
detremential effect on other countries retail markets. In my opinion, we are
seeing an overall negative impact on local food outlets, producers and
labour.

Who needs to be a genius to realise that the spread of these conglomerates,
with their monetary muscle power, has had the effect of closing down a
substantial proportion of small businesses in all areas as a direct result of
their powerful impact on local economies. Towns and villages are now bereft
of bakeries, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, fishmongers clothing
establishments and now even chemists as they spread their power bases ever
wider.

My friend states that it's own own fault if we accept on "a good idea". I
accept that we have fallen for it; but I refute the word "good". In most
areas it has benefited only the conglomerates. Sure, commodities may be
cheaper, but at a price. Taste is no longer part of the equation. You are
beginning to realise the same fact. Cheap isn't always best!

Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Don Gray > wrote:
[snip]
>This really bothers me. I've just debated, with an American email friend, the
>development and overall control of supermarkets and other retail outlets.

[...]
>Who needs to be a genius to realise that the spread of these conglomerates,
>with their monetary muscle power, has had the effect of closing down a
>substantial proportion of small businesses in all areas as a direct result of
>their powerful impact on local economies. Towns and villages are now bereft
>of bakeries, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, fishmongers clothing
>establishments and now even chemists as they spread their power bases ever
>wider.
>
>My friend states that it's own own fault if we accept on "a good idea". I
>accept that we have fallen for it; but I refute the word "good". In most
>areas it has benefited only the conglomerates. Sure, commodities may be
>cheaper, but at a price. Taste is no longer part of the equation. You are
>beginning to realise the same fact. Cheap isn't always best!

Don, these large supermarkets would not be a success if it wasn't for
the *very* large section of the population at large who clearly think
they *are* good (or, at least sufficiently convenient to make up for
any perceived lack of "goodness").

Many such developments bugger up what some of us may have regarded as
"a better way". A classic example here in Oz is the way improvements
in our road networks have pretty well killed off commerce in many
small towns. People here now go down to the nearest big smoke for a
night at the movies whereas 30 years ago they might have gone there
for the day to buy special needs once every three or four months.
It's now no problem to do *all* their shopping there, and a lot do.

Of course, we who complain about this also need to acknowledge that
there was an earlier time when there was a community almost every 10
miles along the main routes -- about as far as a four or six in hand
could draw a coach efficiently. The motor car killed off many of
those communities, and I expect most of us would find a car pretty
bloody useful. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message (Phred) wrote:

> Don Gray wrote: [following text reduced and amended]
> > It really bothers me that the spread of these conglomerates, supermarkets
> > has had the effect of closing down a substantial proportion of small
> > businesses in all areas as a direct result of their powerful impact on
> > local economies. Cheap isn't always best!

> Don, these large supermarkets would not be a success if it wasn't for
> the *very* large section of the population at large who clearly think
> they *are* good (or, at least sufficiently convenient to make up for
> any perceived lack of "goodness").
>
> Many such developments bugger up what some of us may have regarded as
> "a better way". A classic example here in Oz is the way improvements
> in our road networks have pretty well killed off commerce in many
> small towns. It's now no problem to do *all* their shopping there, and a
> lot do.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

You are perfectly right, Phred, that we yearn for convenience and that, of
course is the other side of the picture. I believe that the pendulum has
swung over way too far. Cooking for example is becoming a dying art. We are
slow to absorb change over in England but I've noticed an ever-increasing
number of shelves are laden with mouthwatering selections of prepackaged
meals. Wonderful advertising, but puke-in-the-bag when opened. Nothing
compared to home made! I cheat and walk along with a notebook and write down
some of their ideas ideas to try out at home ;-)

A survey from America found that even recipes had to be "dumbed down" because
the majority of readers didn't understand the simplest terms like binding,
blending and baking blind.

I'm all for new businesses and freedom of choice but not at the detriment of
local labour, product suppliers, community groups and the impact they have on
the economies of the towns in which they operate. Finally a funny; I have to
visit all four of our local supermarkets to get the goodish quality basic
produce and but I have to use a local bakery, butchers and fishmongers to get
good quality produce.

Cheers Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Don Gray wrote: [following text reduced and amended]
>> > It really bothers me that the spread of these conglomerates, supermarkets
>> > has had the effect of closing down a substantial proportion of small
>> > businesses in all areas as a direct result of their powerful impact on
>> > local economies. Cheap isn't always best!

Big business didn't kill Main Street. PARKING killed Main Street.

How many times have I driven up and down "Main Street"
looking for a place to park....
and then put $$$ in the meter for the privelige.

After the third circuit, I'd drive to the Mall ( or the BigBox store )
always free parking always a place to park. "Convenience".

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Apart from corned beef or pickled pork, where it is intentional, I want
> my meat as is.
>
> Christine

Me too. My favorite way to get "unaltered" meat is to kill and process
it myself. A wild deer is about the best you can do for "unaltered"
meat...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fred, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 24 Aug 2006,
typed out:

>> Apart from corned beef or pickled pork, where it is intentional, I want
>> my meat as is.
>>
>> Christine

> Me too. My favorite way to get "unaltered" meat is to kill and process
> it myself. A wild deer is about the best you can do for "unaltered"
> meat...

I don't like the idea of the meat market conglomerates marinating my meat.
I can do a better job of it.

Who game them the authority to tenderize my T-bone?!!!

The BUMS!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pork tenderloin followup: was "enhanced" meats, especially pork

Well, the "pure" (all natural) pork tenderloin I purchased at the local
farmers' market was great. However, I can't say that I really noticed a
significant difference between the pure and enhanced versions,
particularly since there was more than a couple of week's time between
the two. I used the same cooking method for both tenderloins and did
not brine the natural one. Perhaps the enhanced tenderloin from the
grocery store was a bit more moist, but the "pure" version wasn't dry by
any means at all.

Sky

skyhooks wrote:

<snips>

> So, this morning while I was at the weekly farmers' market, I purchased
> a pork tenderloin from a local farmer. This tenderloin has not been
> "enhanced" in any way and is the "pure" thing I'll cook it the same
> way as I did a couple of weeks ago for the store-bought one to tell if
> there is an difference, subtle or not.

<more snips>

> Sky
>
> -- Pork Tenderloin --
>
> use string to tie pork tenderloin to uniform thickness
> use dry rub of choice on pork tenderloin
> quickly pan sear pork tenderloin on all sides
> finish cooking pork tenderloin in preheated 400 degree oven
> until desired "doneness" is reached
> rest pork tenderloin for 10 to 20 minutes
> remove strings and slice as desired

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
> Well, the "pure" (all natural) pork tenderloin I purchased at the local
> farmers' market was great. However, I can't say that I really noticed a
> significant difference between the pure and enhanced versions,
> particularly since there was more than a couple of week's time between
> the two. I used the same cooking method for both tenderloins and did
> not brine the natural one. Perhaps the enhanced tenderloin from the
> grocery store was a bit more moist, but the "pure" version wasn't dry by
> any means at all.

I went to the commissary the other day and noted that all the precut
Smithfield pork (chops, butterfly cuts, whathaveyou) were all the
injected meat, but the loins and tenderloin cuts were not, even though
they were same brand. I picked up a loin as well as a tenderloin, one
of which I guess I'll make tonight. I find the loins handy on my weight
watchers diet as they slice up nicely and are easily weighed out once
roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
> Well, the "pure" (all natural) pork tenderloin I purchased at the local
> farmers' market was great. However, I can't say that I really noticed a
> significant difference between the pure and enhanced versions,
> particularly since there was more than a couple of week's time between
> the two. I used the same cooking method for both tenderloins and did
> not brine the natural one. Perhaps the enhanced tenderloin from the
> grocery store was a bit more moist, but the "pure" version wasn't dry by
> any means at all.
>
> Sky

When I compare the two, I find the natural pork to have a stronger,
less subtle pork flavor.

N.