Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Loin Roast ("Enhanced" with 12% saline)

Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on the
stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted the salt
rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an hour, (20 minutes
a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.

Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on the
> stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted the salt
> rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an hour, (20 minutes
> a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>
> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

Thats what we had yesterday only studded with garlic and roasted at a
lower temp. I refuse to buy walmart style "fresh meat". I used
"unenhanced" quality pork from the Italian market @ $1.79/lb. It was
really tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on
> the stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted
> the salt rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an
> hour, (20 minutes a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>
> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

Not bad at all :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 03:07:00p, Dave Bugg told us...

> cybercat wrote:
>> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on
>> the stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted
>> the salt rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an
>> hour, (20 minutes a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>>
>> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

> Not bad at all :-)

People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital, but
that's only .09%. :-)

Sounds like that little piggy would taste good!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer
Industry Acronyms

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 11 Feb 2008 03:07:00p, Dave Bugg told us...
>
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on
>>> the stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme,
>>> omitted the salt rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at
>>> 350 for an hour, (20 minutes a pound) then sliced it thinly when it
>>> was finished.
>>>
>>> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

>> Not bad at all :-)
>>

> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital, but
> that's only .09%. :-)

Brining people. <grin>
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Not bad at all :-)
>>>

>> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital, but
>> that's only .09%. :-)

> Brining people. <grin>

Sounds delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 11 Feb 2008 03:07:00p, Dave Bugg told us...

>>> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital,
>>> but that's only .09%. :-)

>> Brining people. <grin>

> Sounds delicious.

ROTFLOL!!

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:10:39 GMT, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital,
>>> but that's only .09%. :-)

>> Brining people. <grin>

> A swimming pool is just a bunch of humans brining. And it
> sanitizes, too.

I can't argue with that.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 05:04:18p, Dave Bugg told us...

> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Brining people. <grin>

>> A swimming pool is just a bunch of humans brining. And it sanitizes,
>> too.

> I can't argue with that.

Just think of the size pit you'd need for all those people!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
One day I shall burst my bud of calm
and blossom forth into hysteria.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 04:16:52p, Pennyaline told us...

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 11 Feb 2008 03:07:00p, Dave Bugg told us...

>>> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital, but
>>> that's only .09%. :-)

>> Brining people. <grin>

> Sounds delicious.

Cannibals thought so.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
One day I shall burst my bud of calm
and blossom forth into hysteria.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 05:02:32p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:10:39 GMT, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> People get enchanced by "normal saline" everyday in the hospital, but
>>> that's only .09%. :-)

>> Brining people. <grin>

> A swimming pool is just a bunch of humans brining. And it
> sanitizes, too.
>
> -sw

Then I guess they're ready for grilling or Q'ing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
One day I shall burst my bud of calm
and blossom forth into hysteria.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:43:12 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>
>> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on the
>> stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted the
>> salt
>> rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an hour, (20
>> minutes
>> a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>>
>> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P

For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P
>>

> For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt

About 10 pounds actually. We cook 1/3 at a time and freeze the other
portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P
>>>

>> For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt
>>

> About 10 pounds actually. We cook 1/3 at a time and freeze the other
> portions.

A pig like that, you don't eat all at once...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>>> For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt
>>>

>> About 10 pounds actually. We cook 1/3 at a time and freeze the other
>> portions.

> A pig like that, you don't eat all at once...

hahaha! I remember that joke! The pig with the wooden leg!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P
>>>

>> For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt
>>

> About 10 pounds actually. We cook 1/3 at a time and freeze the other
> portions.

That sounds reasonable. I do have a giant freezer in the downstairs utility
room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>>> About 10 pounds actually. We cook 1/3 at a time and freeze the other
>>> portions.

>> A pig like that, you don't eat all at once...

> hahaha! I remember that joke! The pig with the wooden leg!

Aye! That be the one.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 11:43 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on the
> stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted the salt
> rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an hour, (20 minutes
> a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>
> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

Problem is, buying that stuff is like feeding a mangy stray dog. Some
folks who live in areas where cattle greatly outnumber humans can buy
nothing but that enhanced crap that Wal Mart sells. Not that most of
them aren't ignorant rubes who call margarine, "butter," but still.
As people accept crappiness, crappiness becomes acceptable.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:43:12 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> Makes pretty good sandwich meat. I browned it in the roasting pan on the
>>> stove in some olive oil, peppered and rubbed with thyme, omitted the
>>> salt
>>> rub since it is injected, roasted it (3 lbs) at 350 for an hour, (20
>>> minutes
>>> a pound) then sliced it thinly when it was finished.
>>>
>>> Not bad for $2.49 a pound.

>> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P
>>

> For a 30 lb roast. lllllbbbbbt

You might want to check around. There may be stores that sell quality
meats near you but you won't know about them because they don't have the
war chests of the big box places to buy mind share.

That is the case here with the Italian market where we buy most of our
stuff. They only sell unadulterated meat and the pork is exceptional
quality. They make at least 5 different quality sausage products in the
store. The loin roasts are typically 3~4 lbs and are usually $1.79/lb
and they taste good without brining. I just put a batch of country
style ribs in the crockpot with kraut and potatoes for dinner. The ribs
were 100% meat and $1.69/lb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 11:36�pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:49:15 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> >> $1.99/lb at CostCo and 100% meat :-P

> > For a 30 lb roast. �lllllbbbbbt

> I'd like to see the pig that yielded a 30lb boneless loin!
>
> A whole loin at CostCo runs $11-$14 (6-7 lbs).

Let's assume you meant to write a whole *boneless* loin at Costco.

The bonelsss loin is from the center cut section only, it is not a
whole boneless loin... there's no such cut.

A whole loin (with bone) weighs between 30-40lbs... and it's not from
a pig, it's from a hog, most all pork cuts are from a hog. A live pig
typically weighs 100lbs. A live hog typically weighs 270lbs. People
keep talking pig, but they mean hog.

Anyway, the boneless pork loin (center cut) does weigh about 6-7
pounds, but because of its rather long thin tapered configuration most
stores around here (NY) tie two together (front to back to accomodate
the taper) and then typically cut that in half, so that 6-7 pound
roast is a larger diameter and cooks up better... but in fact it is
two half boneless loins. Just so happens I roasted one for dinner
last night, it was the one I got all seasoned and was supposed to
prepare for Christmas, but plans changed (my guests were going to
arrive late so quick prepared a cold cut/antipasto platter) so I
popped it in the freezer.. . it wasn't fully thawed when I put it in
the oven yesterday so part of the fatty exterior is a bit well done,
but high brown fatty pork is quite tasty... my cats love it. Around
here only Walmart sells injected meat, I never buy any meats from
Walmart. My boneless pork loin (100pct pork) was from Price Shopper,
$1.99/lb.

Plenty left for two more meals, you can plainly see that it's two
boneless loins tied together: http://i25.tinypic.com/16h3ndx.jpg

SHELDON

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message

> Problem is, buying that stuff is like feeding a mangy stray dog. Some
> folks who live in areas where cattle greatly outnumber humans can buy
> nothing but that enhanced crap that Wal Mart sells. Not that most of
> them aren't ignorant rubes who call margarine, "butter," but still.
> As people accept crappiness, crappiness becomes acceptable.

Some members of my family live in rural PA (where I grew up). Hubby and I
have been trying to inform them about the evils of Walmart (and all the crap
it sells, including enhanced meat) for years. My mom maintains that her
options are limited. Walmart has closed down several mom & pop places in the
area, and local folks prefer Walmart because of their lower prices.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote
>> That sounds reasonable. I do have a giant freezer in the downstairs
>> utility
>> room.

> A pork loin, cut into thirds, is small and compact. It can fit
> into even the smallest of freezers.

Yes, I think I can visualize that.

What I meant was, should I join Costco at some point, I have plenty
of room for frozen meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" wrote:

> Some members of my family live in rural PA (where I grew up). Hubby and I
> have been trying to inform them about the evils of Walmart (and all the crap
> it sells, including enhanced meat) for years. My mom maintains that her
> options are limited. Walmart has closed down several mom & pop places in the
> area, and local folks prefer Walmart because of their lower prices.

Many of the national brand products they sell do have lower prices,
substantially lower prices, especially the non food items... but their
fresh meat, produce, and baked goods is definitely crap... I can't
imagine that Walmart can put a good custom butcher, a specialty
produce market, or a neighborhood bakery out of business, they haven't
in my area. The Price Shopper just down the road from Walmart has a
regular packaged meat department and a custom butcher shop in the same
store, they also expanded their in store bakery and hired a real baker
whom I've already met. There asre a number of privately owned
butcher, produce, bakeries and specialty food stores around, not only
didn't Walmart put them out of business, but they increased their
business because of how poor Walmart food products are. If Walmart is
responsible for your local neighborhood stores closing it's only
because they were not selling quality merchandise, they were overly
expensive, or both. There is no reson for a stand alone family
operated butcher shop to be expensive, if anything their overhead is
lower than the big box stores so they can charge less if they so
choose and still turn a nice profit... if they closed it's only due to
their own greed and inability to deal with competition. The small
neighborhood hardware stores closed for the same reason, for too long
they were ripping people off... it's too easy to blame the Home
Depots, Lowes, etc.