Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

Besides the taste, does anyone know of a way to tell the difference? I was
in Costco last week and they were selling what they said were stone crab
claws for (as I recall, 6.99 lb). I asked if they were stone or jonah crab
claws and the kid had no idea. I know that stone crab is usually much more
expensive than 6.99 per (at least at the restaurants that have them)/
thanks
sharkman

..

Old 10-08-2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
Did some digging and found this:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html

-sw

That site says snow crab=tanner crab. I though "snow crab" was
exclusively the opilio spp. Tanner crabs are a different species and
typically much smaller. Do they both go by the moniker "snow crab"?
Here's a pic of the differences:
http://blueocean.org/seafood/species/36.html
It's not really clear by what's on the above site, either.

-L.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sorry.. we were talking about STONE not snow crab claws..

--
Shafer - Professional Web Surfer and President of the PWSAA; Official
BB and anywhere else pointgiver and CEO HRWB.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
sorry.. we were talking about STONE not snow crab claws..

Oh, so no one is allowed to ask a question?

Hate to tell ya, asshole, but it's an open, unmoderated forum...

-L.