Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default King Crab Leg/Claws?

How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
TIA

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 23, 4:20 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
> Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
> TIA

Carefully. They are alread (over-)cooked so all you are doing is
reheating them. They don't have to be piping hot for most kinds of
ordinary eating so there's no need to overdo it. Almost any method
will work but the first step is to thaw them as slowly as you can.
The faster you thaw them the more the texture suffers. Best is on a
plate over a bed of ice in the refrigerator, replenishing the ice
every now and then. Next best is in the refrigerator. Faster
methods, including covering in cold water, are inferior. After slow
thawing, then warm. Microwave, but do it in shorter-than-you-want
increments and test as you go. Steam. Drop in boiling water, but
they sometimes get soggy that way. Put on a tray in a hot oven. We
usually eat it simply with drawn butter and lemon and it's more
important that the butter be hot than the crab..... Remoulade sauce is
okay, too. It's also good in a room temp salad..... -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in
:

> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold
> at Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as
> well. TIA
>
> Ed

http://www.alaskankingcrab.com/how-to-cook.html

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/seafo...crab-legs.html

http://www.vitalchoice.com/product/w...-crab/alaskan-
red-king-crab-claws

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold
> at Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as
> well.
> TIA
>
> Ed

Boil a big pot of water, and plunge the frozen crab legs in the boiling
water until thawed and hot. Shouldn't take long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold
>> at Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as
>> well.
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed

> Boil a big pot of water, and plunge the frozen crab legs in the boiling
> water until thawed and hot. Shouldn't take long.

Just until heated through. They're already cooked so don't over-do. Or
steam them (if the OP has a big pot and a steamer basket).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 4:20*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
> Costco? *They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
> TIA
>
> Ed

What is "pre frozen".?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold
>> at Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as
>> well.
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed

> Boil a big pot of water, and plunge the frozen crab legs in the boiling
> water until thawed and hot. Shouldn't take long.

Maybe 20 seconds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
> Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
> TIA
>
> Ed

I quit re-heating pre-cooked crab legs ages ago. It's too easy to
over-cook and dry them out, and the meat is cold by the time you shell
it out anyway!

I just thaw them, pick all the meat out then toss it into some hot
lemon/garlic butter. The heat from the dip re-heats the meat just right
and then eat it as is or over some warm sourdough bread.

It's also good to use that way in any other crab recipes. Crab meat is
wonderful with a little bit of cheese mixed with eggs for instance...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news | In article >,
| "Theron" > wrote:
|
| > How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
| > Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
| > TIA
| >
| > Ed
|
| I quit re-heating pre-cooked crab legs ages ago. It's too easy to
| over-cook and dry them out, and the meat is cold by the time you shell
| it out anyway!
|
| I just thaw them, pick all the meat out then toss it into some hot
| lemon/garlic butter. The heat from the dip re-heats the meat just right
| and then eat it as is or over some warm sourdough bread.
|
| It's also good to use that way in any other crab recipes. Crab meat is
| wonderful with a little bit of cheese mixed with eggs for instance...
| --
| Peace! Om

This makes so much sense it's pathetic. All the time and crab
I've wasted reheating, this method is what I have needed for
years. Thanks, Om, off tomorrow to buy some crab legs...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news > | In article >,
> | "Theron" > wrote:
> |
> | > How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold
> | > at
> | > Costco? They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
> | > TIA
> | >
> | > Ed
> |
> | I quit re-heating pre-cooked crab legs ages ago. It's too easy to
> | over-cook and dry them out, and the meat is cold by the time you shell
> | it out anyway!
> |
> | I just thaw them, pick all the meat out then toss it into some hot
> | lemon/garlic butter. The heat from the dip re-heats the meat just right
> | and then eat it as is or over some warm sourdough bread.
> |
> | It's also good to use that way in any other crab recipes. Crab meat is
> | wonderful with a little bit of cheese mixed with eggs for instance...
> | --
> | Peace! Om
>
> This makes so much sense it's pathetic. All the time and crab
> I've wasted reheating, this method is what I have needed for
> years. Thanks, Om, off tomorrow to buy some crab legs...
>
> pavane

Thanks Pavane. :-)
I feel you on that point. I wasted quite a bit of time and effort too
until I had this epiphany a few years ago.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "pavane" > wrote:
>

>>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>>news >>| In article >,

>>| I quit re-heating pre-cooked crab legs ages ago. It's too easy to
>>| over-cook and dry them out, and the meat is cold by the time you shell
>>| it out anyway!
>>|
>>| I just thaw them, pick all the meat out then toss it into some hot
>>| lemon/garlic butter. The heat from the dip re-heats the meat just right
>>| and then eat it as is or over some warm sourdough bread.
>>|
>>| It's also good to use that way in any other crab recipes. Crab meat is
>>| wonderful with a little bit of cheese mixed with eggs for instance...
>>| --
>>| Peace! Om
>>
>>This makes so much sense it's pathetic. All the time and crab
>>I've wasted reheating, this method is what I have needed for
>>years. Thanks, Om, off tomorrow to buy some crab legs...
>>
>>pavane

> Thanks Pavane. :-)
> I feel you on that point. I wasted quite a bit of time and effort too
> until I had this epiphany a few years ago.

That's all well and good until you're feeding ravenous young males.
They can shuck their own damned crab legs while simultaneously chowing
down on pasta, garlic bread and salad. It slows them down and gives
them a chance to fill up on less expensive items.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> >>This makes so much sense it's pathetic. All the time and crab
> >>I've wasted reheating, this method is what I have needed for
> >>years. Thanks, Om, off tomorrow to buy some crab legs...
> >>
> >>pavane

> > Thanks Pavane. :-)
> > I feel you on that point. I wasted quite a bit of time and effort too
> > until I had this epiphany a few years ago.

> That's all well and good until you're feeding ravenous young males.
> They can shuck their own damned crab legs while simultaneously chowing
> down on pasta, garlic bread and salad. It slows them down and gives
> them a chance to fill up on less expensive items.

<lol> I still don't shell crab for others unless I'm making a crab
omelet for dad. :-) Everyone can shell their OWN crabs, then I'll heat
the lemon/garlic butter dip for them to use when they are ready for it.

Last time I made real crab rangoons tho', I bought flaked crab meat from
the freezer section at the Korean market. Don't recall exactly what it
cost but I do remember that it was reasonably priced:

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmele...ngoon05152006#

I didn't do a step by step for that series (hadn't really done much of
that in '05) but next time I make them, I will. Hard to believe it's
been that long since I've made rangoon! I'll probably make it with
shrimp next tho' unless I get to a market that sells reasonably priced
crab meat. The last time I ate some surimi was a couple of weeks ago
and it will be the last time! It used to be good. This batch had NO
flavor whatsoever. :-( It's no longer worth the price with the crappy
quality...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:46:43 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>
>Last time I made real crab rangoons tho', I bought flaked crab meat from
>the freezer section at the Korean market. Don't recall exactly what it
>cost but I do remember that it was reasonably priced:

The last time I looked at preshelled crabmeat I almost fainted at the
price. I'll try to remember to look in the frozen section of an Asian
market the next time I go to one.

>http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmele...ngoon05152006#

those do look good!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 12:11*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Oct 23, 4:20*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>
> > How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
> > Costco? *They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
> > TIA

> > Ed

> What is "pre frozen".?

The opposite of "post frozen"

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Oct 24, 12:11*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 4:20*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>
>> > How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
>> > Costco? *They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
>> > TIA

>> > Ed

>> What is "pre frozen".?

Steno speak for "previously frozen".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:46:43 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Kathleen > wrote:
> >
> >Last time I made real crab rangoons tho', I bought flaked crab meat from
> >the freezer section at the Korean market. Don't recall exactly what it
> >cost but I do remember that it was reasonably priced:

> The last time I looked at preshelled crabmeat I almost fainted at the
> price. I'll try to remember to look in the frozen section of an Asian
> market the next time I go to one.

Iirc, it was around $7.00 or $8.00 per lb. and considering the price per
lb. of even Snow crab clusters... <g> Truly superior to canned!

> >http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmele...ngoon05152006#
> >

> those do look good!

Thanks! I think that was shortly after I first bought that fry daddy.

Just wish I'd taken more prep pics. ;-)
I'll do that next time. Those are from 2005.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:11:58 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Oct 23, 4:20*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>> How do you heat up precooked pre frozen King Crab Legs, as they are sold at
>> Costco? *They're marketed the same way in our local supermarkets as well.
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed

>What is "pre frozen".?

Probably thorazine shorthand for previously frozen