Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do I pop amaranth?

I bought a packet of amaranth by a mistake, and saw on the label, that
it can be popped, which sounds exciting, so maybe I can turn the
shopping mistake into a blessing in disgiuse.

But how do I pop amaranth?

I know so far, that amaranth is popped in a dry pan (no fat). But for
how long time (approx.)? And how about the temperature (low/medium/high)?

Shall I stir frequently or constantly?

I have tried in two ways. First at low heat in 15-20 minutes. Nothing
happened, and I ended up with something that didn't smell good. Then at
high heat in just a couple of minutes stirring frequently. The smell was
good, but no popping occured.

Do they pop with a sound, so I can hear it, or maybe just a tiny
'click', and do the grains increase in size, so I can see when it is
popped? I imagine that they become a little like Rice Krispies when done
right.

I have been browsing around the net to find out, but so far I have only
found recipes containing popped amaranth with no exact instruction in
popping it - as if anyone knew how to do.

I hope for some ideas, so I maybe can add popped amaranth in my future
cooking, for example as ingredient in muesli, cookies etc.

Best regards to all

Jesper F.Larsen,
Virum, Denmark
pegasus(at)NOSPAMinet.uni2.dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, On Wed 02 Aug 2006 01:40:33p, Jesper Folmer-Larsen was muttering
about...

> I bought a packet of amaranth by a mistake, and saw on the label, that
> it can be popped, which sounds exciting, so maybe I can turn the
> shopping mistake into a blessing in disgiuse.
>

> But how do I pop amaranth?
>
> I know so far, that amaranth is popped in a dry pan (no fat). But for
> how long time (approx.)? And how about the temperature (low/medium/high)?
>
> Shall I stir frequently or constantly?
>
> I have tried in two ways. First at low heat in 15-20 minutes. Nothing
> happened, and I ended up with something that didn't smell good. Then at
> high heat in just a couple of minutes stirring frequently. The smell was
> good, but no popping occured.
>
> Do they pop with a sound, so I can hear it, or maybe just a tiny
> 'click', and do the grains increase in size, so I can see when it is
> popped? I imagine that they become a little like Rice Krispies when done
> right.
>
> I have been browsing around the net to find out, but so far I have only
> found recipes containing popped amaranth with no exact instruction in
> popping it - as if anyone knew how to do.
>
> I hope for some ideas, so I maybe can add popped amaranth in my future
> cooking, for example as ingredient in muesli, cookies etc.
>

> Best regards to all
>

> Jesper F.Larsen,
> Virum, Denmark
> pegasus(at)NOSPAMinet.uni2.dk

Amaranth grains can be cooked in a dry skillet in order to pop the grains
similar to popcorn.

Almost any type of skillet, saucepan, or pot will work. Simply add 1 or 2
tablespoons of amaranth to the pan and cook over high heat.

The amaranth should be stirred or shaken constantly until most of the
grains have popped. Like popcorn, some of the grains will not pop, but will
become brown and toasted. It is important not to add more than 1 or 2
tablespoons of amaranth to the pan at one time so that the grain can be
spread in a single layer allowing the heat to be distributed as evenly as
possible. Once the seeds are added to the hot pan, only a few seconds are
required to pop the seeds.

The popped amaranth can be eaten as a snack, a cereal, or it can be used as
an ingredient in other dishes. Although the amaranth seeds pop into a white
puff like popcorn, the popped seeds are still very small and can be quite
difficult to eat as a snack. It is more often eaten as a breakfast cereal
with the addition of milk, fresh fruit, and sugar.

--

Wayne Boatwright

I often wonder ...
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jesper Folmer-Larsen > wrote in newsegasus-
:

> But how do I pop amaranth?

Dude, just be gentle!

;P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Amaranth grains can be cooked in a dry skillet in order to pop the grains
> similar to popcorn.

What do they taste like?

> I often wonder ...
> What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Hilarious sig!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 02 Aug 2006 10:46:06p, -L. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Amaranth grains can be cooked in a dry skillet in order to pop the grains
>> similar to popcorn.

> What do they taste like?

I have no idea. Found the instructions in a food reference book I have. I
wonder if it's as bland as "puffed rice"?

>> I often wonder ...
>> What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

> Hilarious sig!

hehehe!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I fed some lemon to my cat and now I have a sour puss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> Amaranth grains can be cooked in a dry skillet in order to pop the grains
> similar to popcorn.
>
> Almost any type of skillet, saucepan, or pot will work. Simply add 1 or 2
> tablespoons of amaranth to the pan and cook over high heat.

Wayne, does the pot need to covered? Like when one is making is popcorn?

> The amaranth should be stirred or shaken constantly until most of the
> grains have popped. Like popcorn, some of the grains will not pop, but
> will
> become brown and toasted. It is important not to add more than 1 or 2
> tablespoons of amaranth to the pan at one time so that the grain can be
> spread in a single layer allowing the heat to be distributed as evenly as
> possible. Once the seeds are added to the hot pan, only a few seconds are
> required to pop the seeds.
>
> The popped amaranth can be eaten as a snack, a cereal, or it can be used
> as
> an ingredient in other dishes. Although the amaranth seeds pop into a
> white
> puff like popcorn, the popped seeds are still very small and can be quite
> difficult to eat as a snack. It is more often eaten as a breakfast cereal
> with the addition of milk, fresh fruit, and sugar.
>

> --
>
> Wayne Boatwright
> __________________________________________________ ________________________
>
> I often wonder ...
> What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 03 Aug 2006 01:28:28a, Jke meant to say...

>> Amaranth grains can be cooked in a dry skillet in order to pop the
>> grains similar to popcorn.
>>
>> Almost any type of skillet, saucepan, or pot will work. Simply add 1 or
>> 2 tablespoons of amaranth to the pan and cook over high heat.

> Wayne, does the pot need to covered? Like when one is making is popcorn?

I must confess that I have never made this, only read about it in a
cooking reference book; however, the illustrations show it being done in
an open pan, stirring with a spatula. Having said that, I can't imagine
some of it not popping out of the pan. I suppose it might be worth trying
a few grains without covering just to see what happens with it.

>> The amaranth should be stirred or shaken constantly until most of the
>> grains have popped. Like popcorn, some of the grains will not pop, but
>> will become brown and toasted. It is important not to add more than 1
>> or 2 tablespoons of amaranth to the pan at one time so that the grain
>> can be spread in a single layer allowing the heat to be distributed as
>> evenly as possible. Once the seeds are added to the hot pan, only a few
>> seconds are required to pop the seeds.
>>
>> The popped amaranth can be eaten as a snack, a cereal, or it can be
>> used as an ingredient in other dishes. Although the amaranth seeds pop
>> into a white puff like popcorn, the popped seeds are still very small
>> and can be quite difficult to eat as a snack. It is more often eaten as
>> a breakfast cereal with the addition of milk, fresh fruit, and sugar.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>> __________________________________________________ ______________________
>> __
>>
>> I often wonder ...
>> What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

--
Wayne Boatwright

I fed some lemon to my cat and now I have a sour puss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, On Tue 08 Aug 2006 11:29:06a, Jke was muttering about...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 03 Aug 2006 01:28:28a, Jke meant to say...

>>> Wayne, does the pot need to covered? Like when one is making is
>>> popcorn?

>> I must confess that I have never made this, only read about it in a
>> cooking reference book; however, the illustrations show it being done
>> in an open pan, stirring with a spatula. Having said that, I can't
>> imagine some of it not popping out of the pan. I suppose it might be
>> worth trying a few grains without covering just to see what happens
>> with it.

> Sorry about the late response, Wayne. I just want to thank you for the
> information. As soon as my pantry gets empty enough to allow for new
> play things, I'll buy some amaranth to experiment with it. This sounds
> like a fun thing to do.

You're very welcome. I'd be very interested in knowing how it turns out.

> Which reminds me, I still haven't used any of the dry hominy I got...
> Will move it to the front of the shelf to think of it more easily.

Would also like to know how you like cooking with the dry hominy.

--

Wayne Boatwright

I often wonder ...
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, On Tue 08 Aug 2006 11:29:06a, Jke was muttering about...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> 28.19...
>>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 03 Aug 2006 01:28:28a, Jke meant to say...

>>> I must confess that I have never made this, only read about it in a
>>> cooking reference book; however, the illustrations show it being done
>>> in an open pan, stirring with a spatula. Having said that, I can't
>>> imagine some of it not popping out of the pan. I suppose it might be
>>> worth trying a few grains without covering just to see what happens
>>> with it.

>> Sorry about the late response, Wayne. I just want to thank you for the
>> information. As soon as my pantry gets empty enough to allow for new
>> play things, I'll buy some amaranth to experiment with it. This sounds
>> like a fun thing to do.

> You're very welcome. I'd be very interested in knowing how it turns out.

I expect it to taste like the chocolate-covered amaranth bars I once had .
The mouth feel of popped rice, but drier. Adn a bit sweeter. But mostly
plain in flavor, just not very interesting.

But then making your own always adds flavor, if only psychologically

>> Which reminds me, I still haven't used any of the dry hominy I got...
>> Will move it to the front of the shelf to think of it more easily.

> Would also like to know how you like cooking with the dry hominy.

Elaine Parrish wants to know, too, but I haven't seen her around for a long
time.

I solemnly pledge to post about my expereinces with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Wayne, does the pot need to covered? Like when one is making is popcorn?

I just tried popping amaranth, and it went well! I used a lid just in
case. The popping was rather aggressive.

Tip:

Preheat and add two table spoons of amaranth. Put on lid fast because
the popping starts quickly. You may carefully lift to see what
happens. Be sure not to pop them too long, but perhaps a little tad
longer that you would think. If you pop too long, the popped amaranth
will become kind of black/dark. If you do, just throw away and make
another try. It is quite fast to make anyway.

I tried my first popped amaranth with milk and sugar. It tasted kind
of familiar, but I am not sure what.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 10 Aug 2006 12:00:19p, meant to say...

>> Wayne, does the pot need to covered? Like when one is making is popcorn?
>>

> I just tried popping amaranth, and it went well! I used a lid just in
> case. The popping was rather aggressive.
>
> Tip:
>
> Preheat and add two table spoons of amaranth. Put on lid fast because
> the popping starts quickly. You may carefully lift to see what
> happens. Be sure not to pop them too long, but perhaps a little tad
> longer that you would think. If you pop too long, the popped amaranth
> will become kind of black/dark. If you do, just throw away and make
> another try. It is quite fast to make anyway.
>
> I tried my first popped amaranth with milk and sugar. It tasted kind
> of familiar, but I am not sure what.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Wayne Boatwright

These shoes look like Frankenstein's hand-me-downs.

Using Amaranth Flour W General Cooking 6 29-12-2013 11:10 PM
grain storage - amaranth...??? [email protected] Preserving 0 09-10-2006 02:41 AM
Amaranth Batter Bread Faith C Recipes (moderated) 0 12-09-2006 04:25 AM
Barley, Potato And Amaranth Stew Tim Recipes 0 03-01-2006 11:55 AM
Amaranth hot cereal recipes? Steve Vegetarian cooking 14 16-01-2005 11:54 AM