Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Visit to the Dollar Store

I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they built
down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before. Granted, just
because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean everything is a
dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they carry.
Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1. All sorts of canned
smoked fish, smoked oysters, etc. Canned chunk white chicken, which I
sometimes use in pasta dishes and I which gather some folks use to make
chicken salad - $1.

Canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), 15.5 oz. can, 75 cents each
Canned black beans 75 cents each
Canned chili peppers (wish I'd made a note of the types, they had several)

They had all sorts of pasta, which surprised me. Spaghetti I pretty much
expected. But angel hair at the dollar store? Yep, and it was in "nest"
style, if you know what I mean, not straight in a box - 2 for a dollar.
Rotini? Yep. Linguini? Yep.

I didn't wander to the other parts of the store. Grabbed what I wanted and
got out of there

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OH I forgot! (WAS My Visit to the Dollar Store)

Lentils! 75 cents for a 1-lb. bag. I grabbed two. Love those alone (with
seasonings) or in soup.

jmcquown wrote:
> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
> salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they
> built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
>
> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they
> carry. Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1. All
> sorts of canned smoked fish, smoked oysters, etc. Canned chunk white
> chicken, which I sometimes use in pasta dishes and I which gather
> some folks use to make chicken salad - $1.
>
> Canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), 15.5 oz. can, 75 cents each
> Canned black beans 75 cents each
> Canned chili peppers (wish I'd made a note of the types, they had
> several)
>
> They had all sorts of pasta, which surprised me. Spaghetti I pretty
> much expected. But angel hair at the dollar store? Yep, and it was
> in "nest" style, if you know what I mean, not straight in a box - 2
> for a dollar. Rotini? Yep. Linguini? Yep.
>
> I didn't wander to the other parts of the store. Grabbed what I
> wanted and got out of there
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:37:24 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
>salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they built
>down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before. Granted, just
>because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean everything is a
>dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
>
>Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they carry.
>Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1. All sorts of canned
>smoked fish, smoked oysters, etc. Canned chunk white chicken, which I
>sometimes use in pasta dishes and I which gather some folks use to make
>chicken salad - $1.
>
>Canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), 15.5 oz. can, 75 cents each
>Canned black beans 75 cents each
>Canned chili peppers (wish I'd made a note of the types, they had several)
>
>They had all sorts of pasta, which surprised me. Spaghetti I pretty much
>expected. But angel hair at the dollar store? Yep, and it was in "nest"
>style, if you know what I mean, not straight in a box - 2 for a dollar.
>Rotini? Yep. Linguini? Yep.
>
>I didn't wander to the other parts of the store. Grabbed what I wanted and
>got out of there
>
>Jill

You ought to go back (leave money at home) and check out the
availability and prices of other things like cleaning supplies and
toiletries. We have a Big Lots store here and they have all sorts of
neat things. On shelves away from the regular food they have imported
items. Just look around and find out what they do have.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they
> carry. Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1.

I get the canned pink salmon when it's on sale, I can usually find
Chicken of the Sea in the $1 to $1.50 range, so I'll grab a can. It's
not bad stuff, sometimes I just eat a bunch out of the can. It's not
nice fresh salmon fillets grilled outside, but not bad either.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:48:14 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" >

>>> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it
>>> for salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store
>>> they built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
>>> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
>>> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

>> I'll shop at Dollar Tree here. Everything is a buck in the place. I
>> find some tinned soups sometimes but I usually buy paper towels and
>> other cleaning items. I can find brand names that are cheaper than
>> Schnucks and Dierbergs.
>>
>> Michael

> I shop in Dollar Tree all the time. I get the cleaning supplies
> mostly, but I have found some really nice glassware there. I also get
> those little glass bowls you see chefs using for their ingredients...
> They often have those in several sizes, about 3/$1. And my latest
> wineglasses I have gotten from there.
>
> Christine

I don't have a Dollar Tree near me but I've seen Family Dollar; this one is
General Dollar. Dang, glassware! Baking dishes! Didn't think about that!
Guess I'm going to head back! (and yes, paper towels and cleaning supplies)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:48:14 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" >

>>> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it
>>> for salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store
>>> they built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
>>> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
>>> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

>>I'll shop at Dollar Tree here. Everything is a buck in the place. I
>>find some tinned soups sometimes but I usually buy paper towels and
>>other cleaning items. I can find brand names that are cheaper than
>>Schnucks and Dierbergs.
>>
>>Michael

> I shop in Dollar Tree all the time. I get the cleaning supplies
> mostly, but I have found some really nice glassware there. I also get
> those little glass bowls you see chefs using for their ingredients...
> They often have those in several sizes, about 3/$1. And my latest
> wineglasses I have gotten from there.
>
> Christine

There's a dollar tree in town but the one time I went in, a good portion
of the store looked like an earthquake had been down the aisles. Products
all over the floors. I left and never went back.

From the way it sounds according to this thread, I should give it a
revisit.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-18, jmcquown > wrote:
> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
> salmon patties).

GAK! ...salmon patties. The single item that kept me from enjoying
real salmon for the first 35 years of my life. Despised them as a
child, couldn't get me to eat 'em at gunpoint to this day.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> GAK! ...salmon patties. The single item that kept me from enjoying
> real salmon for the first 35 years of my life. Despised them as a
> child, couldn't get me to eat 'em at gunpoint to this day.
>
> nb

Bang?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-18, jmcquown > wrote:
>> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it
>> for salmon patties).

> GAK! ...salmon patties. The single item that kept me from enjoying
> real salmon for the first 35 years of my life. Despised them as a
> child, couldn't get me to eat 'em at gunpoint to this day.
>
> nb

Sorry, sweetie! I love 'em and always have And it's a cheap source of
protein. I actually prefer these to salmon fillets or salmon steaks (and
yes, I've had the "good stuff" from Alaska - paid a fortune for it a few
years back). If I want "real" fish I buy tilapia, catfish, flounder, sole.
For less flaky fish, halibut steaks, swordfish and sea bass is nice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:48:14 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" >

>> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
>> salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they
>> built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
>> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
>> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

>I'll shop at Dollar Tree here. Everything is a buck in the place. I find
>some tinned soups sometimes but I usually buy paper towels and other
>cleaning items. I can find brand names that are cheaper than Schnucks and
>Dierbergs.
>
>Michael

I shop in Dollar Tree all the time. I get the cleaning supplies
mostly, but I have found some really nice glassware there. I also get
those little glass bowls you see chefs using for their ingredients...
They often have those in several sizes, about 3/$1. And my latest
wineglasses I have gotten from there.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:FLbvg.3666$Ur.369
@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

> I actually prefer these to salmon fillets or salmon steaks (and
> yes, I've had the "good stuff" from Alaska - paid a fortune for it a

few
> years back).

We fished Alaskan king salmon out on the Pacific ocean outside of San
Francisco. That was a treat. Once.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> We fished Alaskan king salmon out on the Pacific ocean outside of San
> Francisco. That was a treat. Once.

Tell me more, Andy. Was it not a good haul? Too cold out there
for you?

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-18, jmcquown > wrote:

> Sorry, sweetie! I love 'em and always have And it's a cheap source of
> protein.

I envy you. I tried some canned salmon awhile back, just to see if
time had changed anything. Made canned tuna/salmon salad for
sandwiches. Nope. Sucked! Got tossed.

> I actually prefer these to salmon fillets or salmon steaks (and

Oh, now that's just sick-o!

> If I want "real" fish I buy tilapia, catfish, flounder, sole.

Yep. I'm working my way through a couple lbs of tiapia. Yum.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> >
> > There's a dollar tree in town but the one time I went in, a good
> > portion of the store looked like an earthquake had been down the
> > aisles. Products all over the floors. I left and never went back.
> >
> > From the way it sounds according to this thread, I should give it a
> > revisit.
> >
> > Andy

> There are several different dollar stores around here. So far every
> one I've been in is a wreck.

There're different things with similar names. Stores like Family Dollar
are deep discount stores, but the prices vary substantially. I bought
resin patio sets for $15 or so.

Then there are the "Everything's a dollar" or 99cent stores, with a
fixed price for every item. They're never going to have expensive
(relatively speaking) things like furniture.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote in news:Jicvg.70053$fb2.66366
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> We fished Alaskan king salmon out on the Pacific ocean outside of San
>> Francisco. That was a treat. Once.

> Tell me more, Andy. Was it not a good haul? Too cold out there
> for you?

Reg,

It wasn't my boat, but there was an issue heading north out of the Golden
Gate. We had to navigate the "Potato Patch" with shallow rocks out aways
from the coast. My neighbor and his wife (the owners) were seriously
concerned.

We split one king salmon that we could keep.

When it was landed on the deck, it was prompty konked on the head with a
short two by four. Kevin opened it's mouth and it was hundreds of needle
teeth. It could've chewd your arm off!

On the way back to Berkeley it was scaled and fileted. The sky grew black
with sea gulls for scraps.

Back home, pan fried in butter it was true Heaven.

The End

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Reg,
>
> It wasn't my boat, but there was an issue heading north out of the Golden
> Gate. We had to navigate the "Potato Patch" with shallow rocks out aways
> from the coast. My neighbor and his wife (the owners) were seriously
> concerned.
>
> We split one king salmon that we could keep.
>
> When it was landed on the deck, it was prompty konked on the head with a
> short two by four. Kevin opened it's mouth and it was hundreds of needle
> teeth. It could've chewd your arm off!
>
> On the way back to Berkeley it was scaled and fileted. The sky grew black
> with sea gulls for scraps.
>
> Back home, pan fried in butter it was true Heaven.
>
> The End
>
> Andy

I've been out for some of those big pacific halibut, but no
salmon as of yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Nice story, Andy. Thanks.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote in news:HUcvg.70066$fb2.20501
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

> Nice story, Andy. Thanks.

Reg,

Your welcome! Happy landings!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> There's a dollar tree in town but the one time I went in, a good portion
> of the store looked like an earthquake had been down the aisles. Products
> all over the floors. I left and never went back.
>
> From the way it sounds according to this thread, I should give it a
> revisit.
>
> Andy

There are several different dollar stores around here. So far every one
I've been in is a wreck.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-18, jmcquown > wrote:
> > I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
> > salmon patties).

> GAK! ...salmon patties. The single item that kept me from enjoying
> real salmon for the first 35 years of my life. Despised them as a
> child, couldn't get me to eat 'em at gunpoint to this day.
>
> nb

heavens! What did your family cook do to them? I add lots of onion,
use crushed cereal as a binder, and go a little crazy with the
seasonings so they're never the same twice, and always moist and
flavorful.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
> salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they built
> down the way.

<snip>

Dollar Tree here carries Lucky brand to matoes that are very good. I
love the Dollar stores. DH and I have discussed opening one.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-18, maxine in ri > wrote:

> heavens! What did your family cook do to them?

I'm not really sure. Possibly a psychological response, reminding me
of tough, though not unhappy, times when Mom was single w/ 2 kids
working hard to make ends meet. I just do not like canned salmon. Not
even in a sauce. But, I'll completely pig on any other salmon, from
sashimi to smoked. Go figure. :\

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have to agree with notbob...I lived with my father and step-mother as a
youngster, and very unfortunately she could not cook...her salmon patties
made from canned salmon were absolutely gross!

Harriet & critters
> I envy you. I tried some canned salmon awhile back, just to see if
> time had changed anything. Made canned tuna/salmon salad for
> sandwiches. Nope. Sucked! Got tossed.
>
>> I actually prefer these to salmon fillets or salmon steaks (and

> Oh, now that's just sick-o!
>
>> If I want "real" fish I buy tilapia, catfish, flounder, sole.

> Yep. I'm working my way through a couple lbs of tiapia. Yum.
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Be wary in those stores.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

--

jmcquown wrote:
>I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it for
> salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store they
> built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
>
> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they
> carry. Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1. All
> sorts of canned smoked fish, smoked oysters, etc. Canned chunk white
> chicken, which I sometimes use in pasta dishes and I which gather
> some folks use to make chicken salad - $1.
>
> Canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), 15.5 oz. can, 75 cents each
> Canned black beans 75 cents each
> Canned chili peppers (wish I'd made a note of the types, they had
> several)
>
> They had all sorts of pasta, which surprised me. Spaghetti I pretty
> much expected. But angel hair at the dollar store? Yep, and it was
> in "nest" style, if you know what I mean, not straight in a box - 2
> for a dollar. Rotini? Yep. Linguini? Yep.
>
> I didn't wander to the other parts of the store. Grabbed what I
> wanted and got out of there
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Be wary in those stores.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

LOL I don't think I'd buy a brand of toothpaste I'd never heard of. I
picked up a big tube of AIM toothpaste for a buck

Jill

> jmcquown wrote:
>> I was looking for canned salmon (I know, shut up! I mostly use it
>> for salmon patties). Figured I'd drop in to the new dollar store
>> they built down the way. I've never actually shopped in one before.
>> Granted, just because the word "dollar" is in the name doesn't mean
>> everything is a dollar. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
>>
>> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they
>> carry. Canned pink salmon, absolutely. 15.5 oz. can for $1. All
>> sorts of canned smoked fish, smoked oysters, etc. Canned chunk white
>> chicken, which I sometimes use in pasta dishes and I which gather
>> some folks use to make chicken salad - $1.
>>
>> Canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), 15.5 oz. can, 75 cents each
>> Canned black beans 75 cents each
>> Canned chili peppers (wish I'd made a note of the types, they had
>> several)
>>
>> They had all sorts of pasta, which surprised me. Spaghetti I pretty
>> much expected. But angel hair at the dollar store? Yep, and it was
>> in "nest" style, if you know what I mean, not straight in a box - 2
>> for a dollar. Rotini? Yep. Linguini? Yep.
>>
>> I didn't wander to the other parts of the store. Grabbed what I
>> wanted and got out of there
>>
>> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> wrote:
> > Be wary in those stores.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

> LOL I don't think I'd buy a brand of toothpaste I'd never heard of. I
> picked up a big tube of AIM toothpaste for a buck

Read it again. It's not no-name brands.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items they carry.

I check them from time to time for imported teas. Have found some really
nice stuff, and it's nice it's not $4 a box.

Got to watch those expiration dates, though with some items it doesn't
always matter.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the pantry-type food items
>> they carry.

> I check them from time to time for imported teas. Have found some
> really
> nice stuff, and it's nice it's not $4 a box.
>
> Got to watch those expiration dates, though with some items it doesn't
> always matter.
>
> Dawn

LOL At the checkout, I saw TV Guide. Thought hey, I'll get one of those.
Good thing I checked the dates on it; it was last week's issue!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Jul 2006 16:13:49 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>> > Be wary in those stores.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

>> LOL I don't think I'd buy a brand of toothpaste I'd never heard of. I
>> picked up a big tube of AIM toothpaste for a buck

>Read it again. It's not no-name brands.

I can't say it's ever occurred to me to buy toothpaste at the Dollar
Tree - it's not that expensive in the grocery store and one tube lasts
months... I've looked at their canned stuff and wondered whether to
buy it, but my mother taught me never to buy food products from
bargain stores because they were probably expired. I mostly get craft
supplies and household bits and pieces... with the occasional pass
through the confectionary aisle.