Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade ice cream-how long is it good for?

Hello all,
I recently bought a Cuisinart ice-cream maker, and made my first batch
of ice-cream(Strawberry). It turned out really well. But, I am
wondering how long it will last in my freezer, and still be OK to eat?
The recipe was made with milk, cream, eggs, sugar and strawberries, and
nothing was cooked or heated prior to freezing.
Any ideas on this?

Darren

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all,
> I recently bought a Cuisinart ice-cream maker, and made my first batch
> of ice-cream(Strawberry). It turned out really well. But, I am
> wondering how long it will last in my freezer, and still be OK to eat?
> The recipe was made with milk, cream, eggs, sugar and strawberries, and
> nothing was cooked or heated prior to freezing.
> Any ideas on this?
>

> Darren

I'm sure it'll remain safe during the one hour it'll take to eat it all. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a Cuisinart that I bought last year. I was just thinking last
night I'd like to make a batch of something special. Anyone have a
tasty ice cream recipe that they'd like to share? I've make chocolate
and vanilla (with eggs). Maybe even a frozen yogurt recipe? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marge wrote:
> I have a Cuisinart that I bought last year. I was just thinking last
> night I'd like to make a batch of something special. Anyone have a
> tasty ice cream recipe that they'd like to share? I've make chocolate
> and vanilla (with eggs). Maybe even a frozen yogurt recipe? Thanks.

Wash, trim, and puree a quart container of fresh strawberries in your food
processor with about 10 nice large leaves of fresh basil. Add the juice of a
lemon, if you wish. Add a cup of simple syrup and process til blended.
Chill, if necessary, then freeze in your ice cream maker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marge wrote:
> I have a Cuisinart that I bought last year. I was just thinking last
> night I'd like to make a batch of something special. Anyone have a
> tasty ice cream recipe that they'd like to share? I've make chocolate
> and vanilla (with eggs). Maybe even a frozen yogurt recipe? Thanks.

I have two frozen dessert recipes that I've made up. Well I didn't
actually make up the flavors but I did come up with the formulas after
a lot of experimentation. Both recipes make 1 gallon of ice cream. If
your ice cream maker makes less then you'll have to do the math to get
the right proportions.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream

1 quart heavy whipping cream
7 cups whole milk
1 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (1 envelope= 1/4 ounce)
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean (optional)
1 or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract (use 1 tablespoon if using vanilla
bean)
2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
6 regular size Hershey bars chopped into chips
green food coloring

Combine whipping cream, milk, gelatin, sugar, and vanilla bean if
you're using it in a large sauce pan. Let sit a couple minutes to
soften the gelatin. Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar
and gelatin are dissolved (about 180F). Remove from heat and add
peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and green food coloring. Chill
mixture 24 hours in the refrigerator. Pour mixture into ice cream
maker and freeze until it's about half frozen. Add in the chopped up
Hershey bars and continue freezing until done. Makes 1 gallon.

Personally I think this and the recipe that follows tastes better
after it's been frozen solid for a day. The flavor seems more
developed.

This next recipe has some rather odd ingredient amounts because I
started off with making just a small amount and then I multiplied
everything to get the final recipe.

Orange sherbet
1 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 7/8 cups cold water
7 1/8 cups whole milk
3 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (strained
before measuring)
9 fluid ounces (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) frozen orange juice concentrate
(undiluted)
orange food coloring

Combine gelatin, water, milk, and sugar in a pan. Let sit a couple
minutes to soften gelatin. Heat over medium heat until sugar and
gelatin are dissolved. Chill mixture in refrigerator 24 hours. The
next day add the lemon juice and the orange juice concentrate to the
milk mixture. Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly chilled before
combining them or else the milk will curdle. Add the orange food
coloring. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze. Makes 1 gallon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marge wrote:

> I have a Cuisinart that I bought last year. I was just thinking last
> night I'd like to make a batch of something special. Anyone have a
> tasty ice cream recipe that they'd like to share? I've make chocolate
> and vanilla (with eggs). Maybe even a frozen yogurt recipe? Thanks.

Coffee ice cream. Just follow the recipe for the vanilla custard base and
add good quality instant coffee. You might want to add a little extra
sugar to balance the bitterness of the coffee.

Last summer I had some Italian plums that I just couldn't eat. They were
too sour and bitter for my taste. I ended up cooking them up with some
sugar. I was making a batch of ice cream the next day and on an impulse I
added the plum compote to the ice cream and it was terrific.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Darren-
Leftover ice cream is like leftover wine. . .It's a travesty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

About five minutes.

--Blair
"No such thing as leftover
homemade ice cream."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all,
> I recently bought a Cuisinart ice-cream maker, and made my first
> batch
> of ice-cream(Strawberry). It turned out really well. But, I am
> wondering how long it will last in my freezer, and still be OK to eat?
> The recipe was made with milk, cream, eggs, sugar and strawberries,
> and
> nothing was cooked or heated prior to freezing.
> Any ideas on this?
>

> Darren

With eggs, it will last longer than without, although I think cooking
helps also. A few days, I'd say. It won't spoil first, but the texture
will start to degrade, and it may not taste as fresh.

-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all,
> I recently bought a Cuisinart ice-cream maker, and made my first batch
> of ice-cream(Strawberry). It turned out really well. But, I am
> wondering how long it will last in my freezer, and still be OK to eat?
> The recipe was made with milk, cream, eggs, sugar and strawberries, and
> nothing was cooked or heated prior to freezing.
> Any ideas on this?
>

> Darren

I've never had ice cream go bad, as far as becoming dangerous to eat or
"spoiling," but given enough time, I've had forgotten ice cream lose quality
to a point where I didn't want to eat it any more.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It never seems quite as good ever, as when it's freshly made. You guys
are making me want to get my grandkids together, and whip out the old
ice cream maker.

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It never seems quite as good ever, as when it's freshly made. You guys
> are making me want to get my grandkids together, and whip out the old
> ice cream maker.
>
> Myrl

I made a batch yesterday, and I guarantee it won't be around long enough to
get funky. I made a basic vanilla, then added a sleeve of crushed thin mint
girl scout cookies. Yum.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

great recipes, thanks. I love coffee ice cream and orange sherbert --
haven't had that since I was a kid! The basil with the strawberries
sounds interesting.

the chocolate ice cream I made turned out a little grainy, though bf
loved it. I'll admit I had to do 2 batches of the vanilla because I
overcooked the eggs the first time.