Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long will homemade stock last in the fridge

I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.

I should have come here first anyway. ;-)

http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com...st-fridge.html

http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/04
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote in
:

> I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
> and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.
>
> I should have come here first anyway. ;-)
>
> http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com.../75825-how-lon
> g-does-stock-last-fridge.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u

Seems it's a direct mirror of everything that's posted here.

http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com...ooking-forums/

But as for stock........ I freeze mine :-)

Which reminds me, I have to take some out for the Sherherds Pie and the
casserole I'm going to make later today.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
> and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.
>
> I should have come here first anyway. ;-)
>
> http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com...how-long-does-
> stock-last-fridge.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u
>
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 12/04

If you leave the fat layer on top and remove it just before using it, it
lasts longer.

7 days is my personal limit.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> koko >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> > I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
> > and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.
> >
> > I should have come here first anyway. ;-)
> >
> > http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com.../75825-how-lon
> > g-does-stock-last-fridge.html
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u

> If you skim it, a week. But then I have the 1 week rule. Stock freezes
> quite well though. You might give freezing a thought. Just an idea.
>
> Michael

Stock always freezes well. Freezing it in an ice cube tray makes it
especially handy for making sauces and stuff.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07 Dec 2008 15:22:52 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>koko >
: in rec.food.cooking

>> I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
>> and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.
>>
>> I should have come here first anyway. ;-)
>>
>> http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com.../75825-how-lon
>> g-does-stock-last-fridge.html
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u

>If you skim it, a week. But then I have the 1 week rule. Stock freezes
>quite well though. You might give freezing a thought. Just an idea.
>
>Michael

Thanks Michael, I froze it yesterday.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/04

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 09:39:45 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> koko >
>> : in rec.food.cooking
>>

>> > I googled for how long would homemade stock would last in the fridge
>> > and started reading this. What the heck, these people look familiar.
>> >
>> > I should have come here first anyway. ;-)
>> >
>> > http://www.kitchencookingrecipes.com.../75825-how-lon
>> > g-does-stock-last-fridge.html
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/69dp4u

>> If you skim it, a week. But then I have the 1 week rule. Stock freezes
>> quite well though. You might give freezing a thought. Just an idea.
>>
>> Michael

>Stock always freezes well. Freezing it in an ice cube tray makes it
>especially handy for making sauces and stuff.

It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
I'll curse getting out what I need later.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/04
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 09:39:45 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article > ,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> koko >
> >> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> If you skim it, a week. But then I have the 1 week rule. Stock freezes
> >> quite well though. You might give freezing a thought. Just an idea.
> >>
> >> Michael

> >Stock always freezes well. Freezing it in an ice cube tray makes it
> >especially handy for making sauces and stuff.

> It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
> mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
> I'll curse getting out what I need later.
>
> koko

<laughs> Been there, done that!!!

Ice picks are a good thing.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:31:09 -0800, koko > wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 09:39:45 -0600, Omelet >
>wrote:

>>Stock always freezes well. Freezing it in an ice cube tray makes it
>>especially handy for making sauces and stuff.

>It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
>mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
>I'll curse getting out what I need later.

Hi Koko,

Next time pour it into disposable cups, seal first with plastic wrap
then with foil, then freeze. Mine's been sitting in the fridge
for...several days.... I froze ten pints yesterday.

Also froze the leftover fat from the turkey. Younger daughter knows
how to make gravy, and now all she needs to do is dig out some of the
fat, melt, add flour for a roux, then dump in a pint of frozen stock.
By the time the stock thaws in the skillet, it's gravy. Not as good
as the original stuff but reasonably tasty.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
> mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
> I'll curse getting out what I need later.
>
> koko

My mother would keep stock for perhaps up to a week, but she'd take it
out and bring it up to a simmer for a few minutes every other day or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:51:58 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:31:09 -0800, koko > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 09:39:45 -0600, Omelet >
>>wrote:

>>>Stock always freezes well. Freezing it in an ice cube tray makes it
>>>especially handy for making sauces and stuff.

>>It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
>>mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
>>I'll curse getting out what I need later.
>>

>Hi Koko,
>
>Next time pour it into disposable cups, seal first with plastic wrap
>then with foil, then freeze. Mine's been sitting in the fridge
>for...several days.... I froze ten pints yesterday.
>
>Also froze the leftover fat from the turkey. Younger daughter knows
>how to make gravy, and now all she needs to do is dig out some of the
>fat, melt, add flour for a roux, then dump in a pint of frozen stock.
>By the time the stock thaws in the skillet, it's gravy. Not as good
>as the original stuff but reasonably tasty.
>
>Best -- Terry

Thanks for the great ideas Terry. I'll try that next time.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/04

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:39:29 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> It was already a week old and I was busy so I just put the gelatenous
>> mess in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
>> I'll curse getting out what I need later.
>>
>> koko

>My mother would keep stock for perhaps up to a week, but she'd take it
>out and bring it up to a simmer for a few minutes every other day or so.

Thanks for the information Goomba. I have it a frozen block now.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/07