Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My New Favorite Canned Soup

I used to love Jaunita's Menudo, but of course
I don't eat Specified Risk Materials anymore.

For a while, I satisfied myself with Juanita's
Pork Pozole and Chicken Pozole. Those are
pretty good soups -- after eating those
Mexican-style soups for some time, I really
found regular supermarket soups (Progresso,
Wolfgang Puck, etc.) rather dislikeable.
I got used to the simpler, cleaner taste of
the Mexican style soups.

But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
like is Caldo de Pollo. It's a chicken soup
with lots of vegetables. I like it much better
than the pozole, because the pozole is full of
hominy. I'm on a low-carb diet, so I'd scoop
out most of the hominy and throw it away, which
seemed like such a waste. But the Caldo de
Pollo is much better than merely a hominy-free
chicken soup. It's really got a great broth --
the best canned chicken broth I've ever tasted.
And there's something different about the chunks
of chicken -- they taste so much better than
the similar chunks in the pozole. I still had
several cans of the pozole when I discovered the
Caldo de Pollo, and I had a hard time finishing
them off. No more pozole for me!

I've been thinking about laying in a supply of
canned soup in the event of a bird flu pandemic,
and this would be something I could eat every day
for several years!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:
> But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
> supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
> soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
> like is Caldo de Pollo. It's a chicken soup

Where do you buy it, Mark? Regular supermarket? Hispanic?

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Mark Thorson > :
>

>>I used to love Jaunita's Menudo, but of course
>>I don't eat Specified Risk Materials anymore.
>>
>>For a while, I satisfied myself with Juanita's
>>Pork Pozole and Chicken Pozole. Those are
>>pretty good soups -- after eating those
>>Mexican-style soups for some time, I really
>>found regular supermarket soups (Progresso,
>>Wolfgang Puck, etc.) rather dislikeable.
>>I got used to the simpler, cleaner taste of
>>the Mexican style soups.
>>
>>But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
>>supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
>>soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
>>like is Caldo de Pollo. It's a chicken soup
>>with lots of vegetables.

> <snip for space>
>
> I've not noticed the brands you mentioned here in St. Louis. Where do you
> find the brands or are they in a specific ethnic section of regular
> supermarkets?
>
> Michael

Here you go!

http://www.juanitasfoods.com/consumer/en/home_en.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
> supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
> soups I'd never seen before. The one I really

Well, color me Embarrassed Red. Seems you already said where you got
it. I blush for shame.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
> supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
> soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
> like is Caldo de Pollo.

The website says that's a new product for them.

They also have a new Pozole de Pollo, so someone can get the chicken
flavor you're describing and the hominy you'd throw out.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> I [snip]

Have you ever tried Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup? It's not bad.

(Most people don't realize you can actually eat it as soup.)

HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Mark Thorson > :
>
> > I used to love Jaunita's Menudo, but of course
> > I don't eat Specified Risk Materials anymore.

> I've not noticed the brands you mentioned here in St. Louis. Where
> do you find the brands or are they in a specific ethnic section of
> regular supermarkets?

I haven't looked in Schnucks yet, the one near me has recently expanded
their Mexican products substantially. There are also quite a few
Mexican groceries in the area. One of those would be a good bet.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > But then I happened to visit a large Mexican
> > supermarket, and I bought some of Juanita's
> > soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
> > like is Caldo de Pollo.

> The website says that's a new product for them.
>
> They also have a new Pozole de Pollo, so someone can get the
> chicken flavor you're describing and the hominy you'd throw out.

The Pozole de Pollo is the chicken pozole I was
referring to earlier. That product does not have
the great chicken broth flavor in the Caldo de Pollo.
Nor does the chicken meat taste nearly so good.
I don't know why -- maybe it's the vegetables or
the herbs. But while I liked the Pozole de Pollo
before, now I will only be buying the Caldo de
Pollo. This means making a special trip out to
the big Mexican supermarket, but it's worth it.

I also buy dried Chili Negro there. This is a
great chili for snacking. I thread a long bamboo
skewer through it (lengthwise), then roast it over
the only functional burner on my gas stovetop,
rotating quickly to prevent burning. When it's
toasted, I rip off the stem end, dump out the
seeds, and break it up into pieces for eating.
Believe it or not, I find this to be an interesting
accompaniment for dark chocolate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > I [snip]

> Have you ever tried Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup? It's not bad.
>
> (Most people don't realize you can actually eat it as soup.)
>
> HTH :-)
>
> Bob

If the Juanita Soups taste anything at all like the Campbell's Cream
of Mushroom or Cream of Anything soups, I do not want to taste them.
I use them at times, but I sure do not like their taste very much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I used to love Jaunita's Menudo, but of course
> I don't eat Specified Risk Materials anymore.

Sounds like govt gobblety-gook. Care to translate into plain English?

> For a while, I satisfied myself with Juanita's
> Pork Pozole and Chicken Pozole. Those are
> pretty good soups --

Yes, a very good line of soups. None of the thickeners and other
bizarre plasticizers used in other canned soups. The pork pozole is
actually better than what some Mex restaurants serve. Better than my
step-mothers authentic (she born in Mexico) pozole (I never said
that!

> soups I'd never seen before. The one I really
> like is Caldo de Pollo. It's a chicken soup
> with lots of vegetables. I like it much better
> than the pozole, because the pozole is full of
> hominy.

Yeah, I'm growing a bit weary of hominy, myself. I'll keep an eye open
for the caldo de pollo. Thnx for the tip.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I used to love Jaunita's Menudo

I've had Juanita's "regular" Menudo and can confirm that it is very good
for a canned version, but contains the vile, inedible hominy that has to
be laboriously picked out and discarded. Juanita's also market Menudo
Without Hominy, which would be perfect for a canned version. The
problem is, no vendor is apparently willing to ship it overseas.... :-(

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Margaret Suran >
> nk.net:
>

>>> I've not noticed the brands you mentioned here in St. Louis. Where
>>> do you find the brands or are they in a specific ethnic section of
>>> regular supermarkets?
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Here you go!
>>
>> http://www.juanitasfoods.com/consumer/en/home_en.html

> Thanks doll face. Interesting read on the home page. Their products
> look excellent. Especially the Chili Verde. I'm to look for it here.
> If I can't find it I'll order some.
>
> Michael

I'm so lucky to have this little market down the street. Not only do they
serve hot breakfast and lunch 5 days a week, but also when I ask them to
order something they just do it. It's amazing, really. I asked them to
stock Juanita's menudo and pozole and chick peas and the like. It's nice
having a Mom & Pop shop like this (and it literally is run by a husband and
wife).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> I've had Juanita's "regular" Menudo and can confirm that it is very good
> for a canned version, but contains the vile, inedible hominy that has to
> be laboriously picked out and discarded. Juanita's also market Menudo
> Without Hominy, which would be perfect for a canned version. The
> problem is, no vendor is apparently willing to ship it overseas.... :-(

It could be that the would-be importing countries
are unwilling to accept it, because of those darn
Specified Risk Materials.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> I used to love Jaunita's Menudo

> I've had Juanita's "regular" Menudo and can confirm that it is very good
> for a canned version, but contains the vile, inedible hominy that has to
> be laboriously picked out and discarded. Juanita's also market Menudo
> Without Hominy, which would be perfect for a canned version. The
> problem is, no vendor is apparently willing to ship it overseas.... :-(
>
> Victor

You can pick out all the hominy and dehydrate it until it's nice and
crunchy. Then serve it to your drunk friends for a snack. (You may need
to salt it heavily first) "Waste not, want not", that's what I always
say. HTH :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> They also have a new Pozole de Pollo, so someone can get the chicken
> flavor you're describing and the hominy you'd throw out.

I could have sworn I also see a hominy-free version of Menudo in the
grocery store, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> I used to love Jaunita's Menudo

> I've had Juanita's "regular" Menudo and can confirm that it is very
> good for a canned version, but contains the vile, inedible hominy
> that has to be laboriously picked out and discarded. Juanita's also
> market Menudo Without Hominy, which would be perfect for a canned
> version. The problem is, no vendor is apparently willing to ship it
> overseas.... :-(
>
> Victor

I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all by
itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all by
> itself, on purpose even...

Even without being drunk? ;-)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all
> by
> itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

Yet another reason to avoid it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it
>> all by itself, on purpose even...

> Even without being drunk? ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Even without! Seriously, it's a totally underrated side dish and addition
to soups

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it
>> all by
>> itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

> Yet another reason to avoid it.
>
> nancy

You don't like popcorn? I'm not talking about the nasty microwave stuff or
sweet kettle corn. Just regular popped corn with butter and a little salt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it
> >> all by itself, on purpose even...

> > Even without being drunk? ;-)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> Even without! Seriously, it's a totally underrated side dish and addition
> to soups

Hominy side dish: open can, drain, rinse. Place hominy in small
saucepan with milk almost to cover, plenty of butter, several grinds of
black pepper. Heat gently. Serve.

Secondary use for hominy: drain, place in small bowl. Give to child
to learn how to use chopsticks. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> Even without being drunk? ;-)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bob

>> Even without! Seriously, it's a totally underrated side dish and
>> addition to soups

> Hominy side dish: open can, drain, rinse. Place hominy in small
> saucepan with milk almost to cover, plenty of butter, several grinds
> of black pepper. Heat gently. Serve.

Try grating a little Asiago cheese over it

> Secondary use for hominy: drain, place in small bowl. Give to child
> to learn how to use chopsticks. -aem

Okay, where can I rent a small child?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> aem wrote:
> > Secondary use for hominy: drain, place in small bowl. Give to child
> > to learn how to use chopsticks. -aem

> Okay, where can I rent a small child?

Why would you want to? :-D

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote
> >
> >> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it
> >> all by
> >> itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

> > Yet another reason to avoid it.
> >
> > nancy

> You don't like popcorn? I'm not talking about the nasty microwave stuff

or
> sweet kettle corn. Just regular popped corn with butter and a little

salt.

> Jill

I don't care for hominy, but I *do* like popcorn. 2 different tastes, IMO.
We do ours in a little oil in a pot on the stove and just salt it, no
butter. Tastes fine to me.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > I've had Juanita's "regular" Menudo and can confirm that it is very good
> > for a canned version, but contains the vile, inedible hominy that has to
> > be laboriously picked out and discarded. Juanita's also market Menudo
> > Without Hominy, which would be perfect for a canned version. The
> > problem is, no vendor is apparently willing to ship it overseas.... :-(

> It could be that the would-be importing countries
> are unwilling to accept it, because of those darn
> Specified Risk Materials.

None of the importing countries are classified as a lunatic asylum yet,
at least not officially, so that supposition doesn't appear to be
correct. Last week I gorged myself on said Materials (gopchang jeongol)
at a Korean restaurant here in Düsseldorf, the Materials being
presumably locally-grown. A few weeks ago, I committed the same thing
(Kutteln Zurich-style) at a well-known Zürich restaurant, with the
Materials being definitely locally-grown.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> You can pick out all the hominy and dehydrate it until it's nice and
> crunchy. Then serve it to your drunk friends for a snack. (You may need
> to salt it heavily first) "Waste not, want not", that's what I always
> say. HTH :-)

You want me to become and remain friendless for the rest of my life?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all by
> itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

Yes, there is no doubt at all that they taste similar, popcorn being
even more vile than hominy and just as unfit for human (and animal)
consumption. It is no different with every other corn product, the
only exception being the nearly tasteless corn oil. All of them are
even worse than cauliflower - and that is saying a lot! I do concede
that peanut butter is worse still, though.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all by
> > itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

> Yes, there is no doubt at all that they taste similar, popcorn being
> even more vile than hominy and just as unfit for human (and animal)
> consumption. It is no different with every other corn product, the

I think this may be a European thing. I once had
neighbors who were a Dutch man living with an
American woman, and the man absolutely refused
to eat anything with any type of corn in it.

He didn't understand what taco shells were made
from, until after he ate one and she told him
what was in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>

>>I happen to love, no, make that *adore*, hominy. I actually cook it all by
>>itself, on purpose even. Golden hominy tastes a bit like popcorn

> Yes, there is no doubt at all that they taste similar, popcorn being
> even more vile than hominy and just as unfit for human (and animal)
> consumption. It is no different with every other corn product, the
> only exception being the nearly tasteless corn oil. All of them are
> even worse than cauliflower - and that is saying a lot! I do concede
> that peanut butter is worse still, though.
>
> Victor

Cauliflower? You do not like Cauliflower? Cauliflower with buttered
toasted breadcrumbs? Karfiol mit Semmelbroeseln? You just broke my
heart.

Do you think that the word Karfiol could actually be a *******ization
of the word Cauliflower? Just as Ringlotten was originally a
mispronunciation of Reine Claude (plums)?

What is the German word for peanuts? Aschanti Nuesse? And what is
hominy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:55:13 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> I think this may be a European thing. I once had
> neighbors who were a Dutch man living with an
> American woman, and the man absolutely refused
> to eat anything with any type of corn in it.

My family loves fresh sweet corn during the Summer, bought and cooked
almost daily. Whenever my German niece comes to visit she just looks at
us like we're weird as we chow down. It should be noted, however, that
she'd be happy to have a box of Kraft macaroni & cheese for every meal,
every day of the year. Yes, the stuff with the cheese powder.

I also remember a time when I was stationed in the Philippines and my
wife's niece came up from the province to visit. I had one of my days
where I absolutely had to have a steak, baked potato and a salad for
dinner no matter what my wife had planned. The niece, who didn't speak
a lick of English, looked at me in horrified silence for about five
minutes before finally asking my wife why I was eating grass (salad).
There's lots of vegetables in Filipino cooking, just not a lot of raw
vegetables.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Cauliflower? You do not like Cauliflower? Cauliflower with buttered
> toasted breadcrumbs? Karfiol mit Semmelbroeseln?

Utterly inedible! Nauseating! The smell can be used in chemical
warfare.

> You just broke my
> heart.

Not possible, you being heartless. You are deceiving poor Marcel and
feeding him red cabbage instead of the beets he is pining for!

> Do you think that the word Karfiol could actually be a *******ization
> of the word Cauliflower? Just as Ringlotten was originally a
> mispronunciation of Reine Claude (plums)?

The Austrian "Karfiol" is derived from the Italian "cavolfiore",
literally "Kohlblume". In "German" German, it is "Blumenkohl", of
course.

> What is the German word for peanuts? Aschanti Nuesse?

Erdnüsse.

> And what is
> hominy?

There is no such thing here, thank gooodness. Else it would be
"geschälte, getrocknete Maiskerne"... ugh!

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I think this may be a European thing. I once had
> neighbors who were a Dutch man living with an
> American woman, and the man absolutely refused
> to eat anything with any type of corn in it.
>
> He didn't understand what taco shells were made
> from, until after he ate one and she told him
> what was in it.

Ah, yes, indeed you are right, I've quite forgotten about the corn
tortillas (soft, as nothing else is acceptable) - I do confess that I
found them edible, though not much more than that. Wheat ones are way
better. "Taco shells"... feh!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Cauliflower? You do not like Cauliflower? Cauliflower with buttered
>>toasted breadcrumbs? Karfiol mit Semmelbroeseln?

> Utterly inedible! Nauseating! The smell can be used in chemical
> warfare.
>

>> You just broke my
>>heart.

> Not possible, you being heartless. You are deceiving poor Marcel and
> feeding him red cabbage instead of the beets he is pining for!
>
> Bubba

I used to serve Cauliflower as a vegetable for company. I would cut
off the bottom, so that that it would be level and parboil it. Then,
shortly before dinner was to be served, the cauliflower would be
brushed with butter and breadcrumbs would be sprinkled all over its
surface. Then it would go into a fairly hot oven and when the
breadcrumbs were nice and crispy/crunchy and the cauliflower looked
like a golden brown dome, it was ready to be served. I never heard
any complaints, but that may have been because my friends were always
very polite. )

Marcel actually doesn't really hate beets and even eats them as a
salad. When he praised the red cabbage, referring to it as beets, he
was just trying to be nice and also make a point that he normally does
not like beets as anything but a salad. That is why he said that he
would eat them if I cook them that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Marcel actually doesn't really hate beets and even eats them as a
> salad.

Thereby confirming yet again that he is a man of refined and discerning
tastes.

Bubba

canned soup songbird Preserving 2 11-02-2017 04:01 AM
REC: Beware! Contains Canned Soup Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 72 08-09-2008 03:41 AM
Speaking of canned soup recipes... [email protected] General Cooking 8 09-08-2008 08:40 PM
Favorite canned tuna? sandi General Cooking 54 11-04-2007 12:37 AM
Canned Soup Replacement (3) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-08-2004 11:28 PM