Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Beware! Contains Canned Soup

This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it could be
made without the soup, but this was easier.

Creamy Parmesan Rice

3/4 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 cup water

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2 quart
casserole. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring once again,
until mixture is thickened and creamy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 08(VIII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it
> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.

> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup

I have a big hunk of genuine Parmigiano Reggiano
in my refrigerator, and I cannot imagine combining
that with the canned soup. If you meant the salty
wretched stuff that comes in the green cylinders,
you should have said so. (There are actually generic
knock-off grated "Parmesean" cheese in green
cylinders which are not from Kraft.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Aug 2008 08:45:27p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it
>> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.

>> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

>> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup

> I have a big hunk of genuine Parmigiano Reggiano
> in my refrigerator, and I cannot imagine combining
> that with the canned soup. If you meant the salty
> wretched stuff that comes in the green cylinders,
> you should have said so. (There are actually generic
> knock-off grated "Parmesean" cheese in green
> cylinders which are not from Kraft.)

If I had meant the salty wretched stuff that comes in the green cylinders,
I would have said so. What you can or cannot imagine is not my problem.

If you're so adamently against canned soup, why did you read the post?

I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post from
you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit surprised by
anything you do write.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 08(VIII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
'`The Honest Opinion'... It has
destroyed better men than I.' - Opus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:45:27 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>(There are actually generic
>knock-off grated "Parmesean" cheese in green
>cylinders which are not from Kraft.)

There are actually generic knock offs that mimic the real thing and
you don't need a can... it mimics the real thing. You should know
this already.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:54:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post from
>you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit surprised by
>anything you do write.

Calm down Wayne.... when has he been civil to anyone, especially
lately?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Aug 2008 09:12:52p, told us...

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:54:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post
>>from you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit
>>surprised by anything you do write.

> Calm down Wayne.... when has he been civil to anyone, especially
> lately?

I'm completely calm. I think I've just come to realize what a complete ass
he is.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 08(VIII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
LAWN (n): acronym for Local Area Weed
Network...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:54:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post from
>>you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit surprised
>>by
>>anything you do write.

> Calm down Wayne.... when has he been civil to anyone, especially
> lately?

Who are you talking about, and why can't I see his/her comments?

HINT: USE YOUR KILLFILES.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 11:32�pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. �Yes, detractors, I know it could be
> made without the soup, but this was easier.
>
> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>
> 3/4 cup long grain rice
> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
> 1 cup water
>
> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2 quart
> casserole. �Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375�F for 45 minutes. �
> Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring once again,
> until mixture is thickened and creamy. �
>
> --
> � � � � � � �Wayne Boatwright � � � � � �
> � � �Wednesday, 08(VIII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
> � � Cats need to sample the contents of � �
> � � � � � every pot on the stove. � � � � �

I never worry about what anyone else thinks about what goes into the
food I eat. If it tastes good it tastes good and that's all that
matters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> <sf> wrote in message ...
> > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:54:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post

from
> >>you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit surprised
> >>by
> >>anything you do write.

> > Calm down Wayne.... when has he been civil to anyone, especially
> > lately?
> >

> Who are you talking about, and why can't I see his/her comments?

Mark Thorson...

> HINT: USE YOUR KILLFILES.

HINT: LEARN HOW TO FOLLOW A THREAD, cybercat...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beware! Contains Canned Soup

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it could

be
> made without the soup, but this was easier.
>
> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>
> 3/4 cup long grain rice
> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
> 1 cup water
>
> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2

quart
> casserole. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
> Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring once again,
> until mixture is thickened and creamy.

Sounds cozy for a cool autumn evening, Wayne - and autumn is not *that* far
away...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 01:05:10 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>HINT: USE YOUR KILLFILES.

Hmmm. I remember telling someone to use her kill file, but <neutral
gender> just waved me off.... I'm not saying who that was.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:54:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> >I can' remember the last time I ever read a less than insulting post from
> >you in response to something I wrote, so I'm not the least bit surprised

by
> >anything you do write.

> Calm down Wayne.... when has he been civil to anyone, especially
> lately?

Totally OT:

Speaking of "civil", here's a l'il "stab from the rfc past". I don't know
who's meaner, Martha or me...lol:

[posted on alt.radio.talk.dr-laura where Martha Hughes was once a
regular...]

"Here's a pretty funny tongue - in - cheek article about using "hand signs"
at metal concerts. Black Metal MOTHRA has to CLUELESSLY sail in and attack
the author as a "retard" in the "comments" section. Much EXCELLENT hilarity
ensues, see my comment at the end...::

http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/music/2008...hem_horns.html

Black Metal Martha writes::

"Who the **** is the retard who wrote that worthless piece of shit
article????

Obviously NOT a true metalhead, just a wannabe who's bored with alt rock.
What, bored with the White Stripes now? LOLOLOLOL

I've been in metal over 20 years, and we would NOT be caught dead using
those DORKY hand signs. HAHAHAHA!

But, we would laugh at you guys in your girl's pants and emo haircuts.

DEATH TO FALSE POSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no, you CANNOT be part of our music, nor use our symbols.

\m/..."
--------------------

Duncan Davidson replies:

"I find Black Metal Martha to be laughable, and yet frightening, in the vein
of the Just Say No commercial, where the 35 year old dude is smoking weed in
his room and his mom calls out to him to get a job, to which he replies: "I
will tomorrow, Ma." Your strident calls for death to posers point out that
your two-decades deep in the trenches of molten metal were mainly spent in
your room burning the wizard bong at both ends and throwing the 8-sided die.
Don't get out much, eh? Well, high school's over, Martha. In real life, you
can listen to metal AND have a sense of humor. Yes, even about metal.

Seriously, how can you listen to the operatic, Nightmare Before Christmas
cluster**** that is black metal--ooh, scary--without a sense of humor? Must
be rough..."
------------------------------

Kyle replies:

"Black Metal Martha: Do real metalheads use LOLs? What's the official
position on smileys? Is there a Talmudic interpretation of metalspeak?..."
--------------------------------

Gregory Morrow replies:

"Yes, Black Metal Martha IS laughable. On the various Usenet groups on which
she used to post we referred to her as "Mothra" and "The World's Oldest
Teeny Bopper". When she got angry and had her atomic meltdowns - which were
several times per day it seemed - I'd chide her, saying, "Oh look, Mothra is
MAD because her copy of _Tiger Beat_ is late..."...

I see that instead of mellowing a bit as she has aged she has gotten angrier
and more "manic". Not pretty for someone pushing 50, but I guess if I were a
Black Metal Martha living an extended adolescence in a crummy studio flat in
a gang - infested nabe I'd be plenty ****ed too...

And yeah, music is something to be real passionate about but in the end it's
*only* music - just because someone's taste differs is NOT a reason to wish
them DEAD, fer cryin' out loud!

Martha is the *real* "poser" because she is obsessed with appearing "neat",
"cool", "sophisticated", etc...

Maybe she has esteem "issues" because in junior high school she couldn't
afford as many mohair sweaters as the pretty rich blonde girls had...who
knows...!!!???

Lol..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Beware! NO Canned Soup [risotto alla parmigiana]

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I have a big hunk of genuine Parmigiano Reggiano
> in my refrigerator, and I cannot imagine combining
> that with the canned soup.

I cant' disagree on that one. Use your Parmigiano in this recipe, instead:

Risotto alla Parmigiana (risotto Parma style)
Serves six

400 grams rice, better if Carnaroli or Vialone nano
150 grams unsalted butter
100/150 grams grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 white or blonde onion
salt
1 quarter broth (veg. or meat as you prefer)

Finely chop the onion and brown it in a skillet with 100 grams of butter.
Add the rice, let it toast and get flavored for a few minutes and start
adding broth, a few at a time so to always keep the rice at a thickness
similar to what you want in your dish. Once the rice is almost cooked remove
from heat, add the grated Reggiano and the remaining butter, mix very
lightly and briefly, cover and wait 1 minute. Serve smokin' hot.

A variant: some drops of aceto balsamico tradizionale, added directly in the
dish.
A similar recipe: add some minced spinach leaves to the onion, abot one big
leaf per dish. In this case it would be six large leaves. It's called
"risotto spinaci e grana"*

* Grana is the family of cheeses of which Parmigiano Reggiano is just one
variety. Grana originated in the area of Bibbiano / Ghiardo, 15 kilometers
from Reggio Emilia and 40 from Parma. Parmigiano originated in the same area
and differs for the longer ageing process and the feeding of the cows.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> I have a big hunk of genuine Parmigiano Reggiano
>> in my refrigerator, and I cannot imagine combining
>> that with the canned soup.

> I cant' disagree on that one. Use your Parmigiano in this recipe, instead:
>
> Risotto alla Parmigiana (risotto Parma style)
> Serves six
>
> 400 grams rice, better if Carnaroli or Vialone nano
> 150 grams unsalted butter
> 100/150 grams grated Parmigiano Reggiano
> 1 white or blonde onion
> salt
> 1 quarter broth (veg. or meat as you prefer)
>
> Finely chop the onion and brown it in a skillet with 100 grams of butter.
> Add the rice, let it toast and get flavored for a few minutes and start
> adding broth, a few at a time so to always keep the rice at a thickness
> similar to what you want in your dish. Once the rice is almost cooked
> remove from heat, add the grated Reggiano and the remaining butter, mix
> very lightly and briefly, cover and wait 1 minute. Serve smokin' hot.
>
> A variant: some drops of aceto balsamico tradizionale, added directly in
> the dish.
> A similar recipe: add some minced spinach leaves to the onion, abot one
> big leaf per dish. In this case it would be six large leaves. It's called
> "risotto spinaci e grana"*

That seems like a lot of butter-- it's perhaps 1/3 more than I'd use-- maybe
even more. I might use butter the size of a walnut for sautéing and then 2
more a montare. 400 g rice with 150 g butter?

I am perfectly willing that you should adore this buttery dish, Vilco, I
just wonder if it is really that buttery?

Did you mean 1 quart of broth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> That seems like a lot of butter-- it's perhaps 1/3 more than I'd
> use-- maybe even more. I might use butter the size of a walnut for
> sautéing and then 2 more a montare. 400 g rice with 150 g butter?

Keep into account that we're not talking about basmati, which "drinks" water
in a proportion of 2 to 1 against it's weight, but carnaroli or vialone
nano, which drink almost 3 to 1 theyr weight in water, so you end up with
about 1.4 Kg of rice in the pot (400g rice + 1 quart broth). Each serving is
thus almost 250 grams of cooked rice, with just 25 grams of butter that
makes sense. It's buttery, indeed, but it's from the county of butter and
Parmigiano Reggiano, where people on a hurry dress theyr "butter and
parmigiano" pasta with a hearthy slice of butter: I usually cut almost 50
grams (circa 1/20 of the butter block's length, which is half of the ratio
listed in this rice recipe) for a dish. And IIRC, we're still under the
"Fettuccine Alfredo" butter to pasta ratio.
I don't know there in Umbria, but here the vast majority of people buys
theyr butter in 1 Kg blocks.

> I am perfectly willing that you should adore this buttery dish,
> Vilco, I just wonder if it is really that buttery?

Yes, it is
As usual, if one has health issues or doesn't like that much butter, nothing
prevents them from reducing that amount.

> Did you mean 1 quart of broth?

Yes! Sorry and thanks for the correction.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> That seems like a lot of butter-- it's perhaps 1/3 more than I'd
>> use-- maybe even more. I might use butter the size of a walnut for
>> sautéing and then 2 more a montare. 400 g rice with 150 g butter?

> Keep into account that we're not talking about basmati, which "drinks"
> water in a proportion of 2 to 1 against it's weight, but carnaroli or
> vialone nano, which drink almost 3 to 1 theyr weight in water, so you end
> up with about 1.4 Kg of rice in the pot (400g rice + 1 quart broth). Each
> serving is thus almost 250 grams of cooked rice, with just 25 grams of
> butter that makes sense.

I hope everyone has read your entire text-- I really hated to snip! I never
think of basmati unless I am cooking Indian! It still seems a lot of
butter, but your justification is elegant and heeded.

I usually cut almost 50
> grams (circa 1/20 of the butter block's length, which is half of the ratio
> > listed in this rice recipe) for a dish. And IIRC, we're still under the

> "Fettuccine Alfredo" butter to pasta ratio.

Beato te! Who thinks of life in Fettucini Alfredo terms, bless him anyway.
He will die happy and slick.

> I don't know there in Umbria, but here the vast majority of people buys
> theyr butter in 1 Kg blocks.

They don't even sell that here! 250 g is our big block. I think most of it
is used in pastry and sweets here. I do make an involtino that is jammed
with way too much butter and truffle.

It is not as bad as in the south, where my friend has to pretend she doesn't
own butter or her SO won't eat. Umbrians are fairly convinced, however,
that only oil will save them from their sins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it
> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.
>
> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>
> 3/4 cup long grain rice
> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
> 1 cup water
>
> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2
> quart casserole. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 45
> minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring
> once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy.

My mom used to make something similar, but she'd omit the parm and add more
cheddar cheese. I haven't thought of that side dish in years!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> I don't know there in Umbria, but here the vast majority of people
>> buys theyr butter in 1 Kg blocks.

> They don't even sell that here! 250 g is our big block.

LOL, I couldn't live there ))
I love EVO oil, but talking about fats.. butter is my first love.

> It is not as bad as in the south, where my friend has to pretend she
> doesn't own butter or her SO won't eat. Umbrians are fairly
> convinced, however, that only oil will save them from their sins.

LOL
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Aug 2008 10:21:08p, told us...

> On Aug 6, 11:32�pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. �Yes, detractors, I know i t
>> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.
>>
>> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>>
>> 3/4 cup long grain rice
>> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
>> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
>> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2

qua
>> rt casserole. �Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375�F for 45
>> minutes. � Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes,

stirring
>> once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy. �
>>
>> --
>> � � � � � � �Wayn e Boatwright � � � � � �
>> � � �Wednesday, 08(VIII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
>> ------------------------------------------- � � Cats need to sample
>> the contents of � ï¿ ½ � � � � � every pot on the stove. �
>> � � � � -------------------------------------------

> I never worry about what anyone else thinks about what goes into the
> food I eat. If it tastes good it tastes good and that's all that
> matters.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 08(VIII)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Aug 2008 10:57:05p, Gregory Morrow told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it could
>> be made without the soup, but this was easier.
>>
>> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>>
>> 3/4 cup long grain rice
>> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
>> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
>> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2
>> quart casserole. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 45
>> minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring
>> once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy.

> Sounds cozy for a cool autumn evening, Wayne - and autumn is not *that*

far
> away...
>
>:-)

Thanks, Greg...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 08(VIII)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Time is an illusion perpetrated by the
manufacturers of space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 07 Aug 2008 02:24:58a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. Yes, detractors, I know it
>> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.
>>
>> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>>
>> 3/4 cup long grain rice
>> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
>> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
>> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2
>> quart casserole. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 45
>> minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring
>> once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy.

> My mom used to make something similar, but she'd omit the parm and add
> more cheddar cheese. I haven't thought of that side dish in years!
>
> kili

That would certainly be good, too, Kili. I'll have to give that a try.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 08(VIII)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Time is an illusion perpetrated by the
manufacturers of space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 07 Aug 2008 12:26:04a, Vilco told us...

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> I have a big hunk of genuine Parmigiano Reggiano
>> in my refrigerator, and I cannot imagine combining that with the
>> canned soup.

> I cant' disagree on that one. Use your Parmigiano in this recipe,

instead:

Vilco, it's a "convenience" dish, and not bad for something that takes 5
minutes to throw together. I do use real parmesan cheese in it.

> Risotto alla Parmigiana (risotto Parma style)
> Serves six

When I have time to stand at thes stove and give it my attention, I do make
risotto. The recipe and proportions I use sound very similar to yours.
It's one of my favorite things.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 08(VIII)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
As I said before, I never repeat myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Sounds cozy for a cool autumn evening, Wayne - and autumn is not
> *that* far away...
>
> :-)

Maybe I'm not the only one already looking ahead to cooking
fall food? I was just thinking about that yesterday. Not to rush
summer or anything.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
(and critique when they don't get it right).

I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.

>Risotto alla Parmigiana (risotto Parma style)
>Serves six

snip
>1 quarter broth (veg. or meat as you prefer)

snip

I'm going to assume until corrected that "quarter" should read
"quart".

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
> Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
> reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
> (and critique when they don't get it right).
>
> I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
> on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.

True, even for the same risotto you can find many variants. Just for this
rice "alla parmigiana" one could toast the rice or not, toast it as per
instructions or toast it aside without liquids, one could rinse the rice to
reduce it's starch while another wouldn't... risotto is a very versatile
dish, although it is not something which always turns out good. Anyway you
make it, you've to make it well.

> snip
>> 1 quarter broth (veg. or meat as you prefer)

> snip

> I'm going to assume until corrected that "quarter" should read
> "quart".

As Giusi pointed out, yes, it should have read "1 quart".
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>
> Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
> Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
> reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
> (and critique when they don't get it right).
>
> I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
> on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.

I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the few
people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:25:38 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the few
>people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.

In that case, we *should* do a risotto virtual cook-in! Remember when
ChrisD and sky talked you through making grits? Maybe a risotto
"expert" would volunteer to join in and talk us through it!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:36:31 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>As Giusi pointed out, yes, it should have read "1 quart".

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Thanks, I saved the recipe. It
looks simple enough.... even for me.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> Sounds cozy for a cool autumn evening, Wayne - and autumn is not
>> *that* far away...
>>
>> :-)

> Maybe I'm not the only one already looking ahead to cooking
> fall food? I was just thinking about that yesterday. Not to rush
> summer or anything.
>
> nancy

I'm thinking about making a big pot of French Onion Soup, soon, which
qualifies as a winter dish. No cheese or bread with it, though, just the
broth. Like an onion flavored beef consumme'. It sounds really soothing to
me.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:25:38 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
>> Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
>> reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
>> (and critique when they don't get it right).
>>
>> I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
>> on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.
>>

> I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the few
> people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.
>
> kili

i'm not sure i have either, but i'll call you heathen anyway.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 12:21*am, " > wrote:

> I never worry about what anyone else thinks about what goes into the
> food I eat. *If it tastes good it tastes good and that's all that
> matters.

AMEN!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 7, 5:46*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Maybe I'm not the only one already looking ahead to cooking
> fall food? *I was just thinking about that yesterday. *Not to rush
> summer or anything.

Plenty of summer left, way too soon to be thinking about fall food.
We went to friends yesterday for a little cook-out. They did a tri-
tip with a sort of carne asada-type long marinade. Ears of corn
roasted on the grill as well. It was good, but the "gourmet" star of
the day was simply home-grown tomatoes, olive oil, and home-grown
basil. Quintessential summer food, and I am in no hurry to let it
go. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:25:38 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the
>> few people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.

> In that case, we *should* do a risotto virtual cook-in! Remember when
> ChrisD and sky talked you through making grits? Maybe a risotto
> "expert" would volunteer to join in and talk us through it!

I'm Googling recipes and what I'm understanding is that it's kind of like an
Italian fried rice? Add your olive oil, chopped onion, take out the onion,
put in the raw rice, slowly pour in simmering liquid and if it needs more
liquid use wine. After that add your remaining ingredients. Am I even
close?

I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't come out, I'll give it to the neighbors;
they don't know the difference between good or bad food. LOL. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:55:13 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:25:38 -0400, kilikini wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
>>> Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
>>> reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
>>> (and critique when they don't get it right).
>>>
>>> I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
>>> on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.
>>>

>> I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the few
>> people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.
>>
>> kili

>i'm not sure i have either, but i'll call you heathen anyway.
>
>your pal,
>blake

You're a real pal, Blake! What would we do without you?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:25:38 -0400, kilikini wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the recipe. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
>>> Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
>>> reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a
>>> restaurant (and critique when they don't get it right).
>>>
>>> I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
>>> on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.
>>>

>> I've never had risotto, believe it or not. I'm probably one of the
>> few people in this group who has never eaten it before. LOL.
>>
>> kili

> i'm not sure i have either, but i'll call you heathen anyway.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks, silly man! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 07 Aug 2008 08:01:48a, blake murphy told us...

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 22:21:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 11:32�pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>> This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. �Yes, detractors, I know it
>>> could be made without the soup, but this was easier.
>>>
>>> Creamy Parmesan Rice
>>>
>>> 3/4 cup long grain rice
>>> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
>>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>> 1/2 teaspoon paprika
>>> 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
>>> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
>>> 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
>>> 1 cup water
>>>
>>> Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2
>>> quart casserole. �Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375�F for 45
>>> minutes. � Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes,
>>> stirring once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy. �
>>>
>>> --
>>> � � � � � � �Wayne Boatwright � � � � � �

>> I never worry about what anyone else thinks about what goes into the
>> food I eat. If it tastes good it tastes good and that's all that
>> matters.

> except for ketchup on hot dogs. someone must maintain Standards.
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL! What standards would those be? There are standards at many levels.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 08(VIII)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of
everything is crud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:27:01 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I'm Googling recipes and what I'm understanding is that it's kind of like an
>Italian fried rice? Add your olive oil, chopped onion, take out the onion,
>put in the raw rice, slowly pour in simmering liquid and if it needs more
>liquid use wine. After that add your remaining ingredients. Am I even
>close?

It's not like fried rice at all. The only similarity is you start
with rice and add stuff to it. It's a leetle tiny bit on the "soupy"
side compared to flylice. You might get a better idea if you do a
google image search for risotto.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
> Duh'Wayne Bilgebottom wrote:
> > This is quick, easy, and pretty tasty. �Yes, detractors, I know it
> > could be made without the soup, but this was easier.

> > Creamy Parmesan Rice

> > 3/4 cup long grain rice
> > 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
> > 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> > 1/2 teaspoon paprika
> > 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
> > 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
> > 1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
> > 1 cup water

> > Combine all ingredients thoroughly and turn into a greased 1-1/2 or 2
> > quart casserole. �Cover with lid or foil and bake at 375�F for 45
> > minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring
> > once again, until mixture is thickened and creamy.

> My mom used to make something similar, but she'd omit the parm and add more
> cheddar cheese. �I haven't thought of that side dish in years!
>
> kili

That concoction reminds me of grade school cafeteria slop... typically
to make it slightly more attractive to 2nd graders it contained tube
steak coins... Duh'Wayne's ghoulish version is gruel only fit to slop
Cybersows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > "Vilco" wrote:

> > Thanks for the recipe. �I'm a huge chicken when it comes to risotto.
> > Love it, love it, love it.... but I'm afraid of making it for some
> > reason, so it's one of my pleasures to order to order in a restaurant
> > (and critique when they don't get it right).

> > I'm thinking risotto might be a good dish for a virtual cook-in over
> > on the chat channel one day, because there are so many variations.

> I've never had risotto, believe it or not. �I'm probably one of the few
> people in this group who has never eaten it before. �LOL.
>
> kili

You're missing nothing... think guinea grits.

canned soup songbird Preserving 2 11-02-2017 04:01 AM
Beware canned tomatoes notbob General Cooking 10 12-03-2016 08:22 AM
Beware! Yet another canned soup recipe Sky General Cooking 29 10-08-2008 06:18 PM
My New Favorite Canned Soup Mark Thorson General Cooking 33 14-06-2006 10:57 PM
Canned Soup Replacement (3) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-08-2004 11:28 PM