Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default It never rains but it pours

I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:38:28 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
> may not ever ripen nicely.

Unripe mangoes, soy sauce, coarse salt and a splash or three of Tabasco.
Yum!

--

-Jeff B. (who spent four years in the Philippines)
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:38:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
>cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
>may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
>could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
>running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
>strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

You can cut the flesh into pieces and freeze them. They make a lovely
addition to a smoothie.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave-
You remind me of what I've been going through lately. In my area of
California, the rains came late, and lasted long. The growing season
is totally out of whack, and my favorite fruit - cherries, are nearly
non-existant.

However, last Saturday, I made a trip to the local Farmer's Market, and
found cherries of good quality, and not too pricey. I literally,
bought pounds of them, thinking I would eat as many as I could, and
preserve the rest in some way.

Well, there was no preserving, and I simply ate every cherry fresh over
the next couple of days!. . .I don't think I want to do that again, at
least for awhile. But, I certainly enjoyed them at the time;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jo Anne Slaven" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:38:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
> >cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
> >may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
> >could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
> >running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
> >strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

> You can cut the flesh into pieces and freeze them. They make a lovely
> addition to a smoothie.
>
> Jo Anne

Not to mention a mango margarita!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mangoes seem to be so versatile in cooking. I've used them in Salsa,
in Margaritas, in Ice Cream, in Smooties.

But, one of the nicest things I did, was to make a Large Shrimp with a
Creamy Mango, Chipoltle Lime sauce. I served it over a bed of Cilantro
Rice. It was relatively easy to make.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:

> >I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
> >cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
> >may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
> >could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
> >running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
> >strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

> You can cut the flesh into pieces and freeze them. They make a lovely
> addition to a smoothie.

Sounds good. I love them as is. It is so rare to find a nice fresh mango
around here. I just wish they they would space things out so that the
mangoes would be nice and ripe one week and the strawberries another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:06:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Jo Anne Slaven wrote:
>
>> >I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
>> >cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
>> >may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
>> >could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
>> >running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
>> >strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

>> You can cut the flesh into pieces and freeze them. They make a lovely
>> addition to a smoothie.
>>

>Sounds good. I love them as is. It is so rare to find a nice fresh mango
>around here. I just wish they they would space things out so that the
>mangoes would be nice and ripe one week and the strawberries another.

Not if you want to make Barb Schaller's Mango and Strawberry Jam with
Kiwi Fruit.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
> cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
> may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
> could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
> running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
> strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

I fail to see a problem here.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 10 Jun 2006 06:23:39a, Jo Anne Slaven meant to say...

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:38:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>I was out shopping today and they had ripe mangoes for 67
>>cents. They are usually $1.69 for unripe mangoes that may or
>>may not ever ripen nicely. So I grabbed some thinking that I
>>could chow down on some nice ripe mangoes. My wife was out
>>running errands and came home with a basket of fresh local
>>strawberries, the very first of the year. Dang.

> You can cut the flesh into pieces and freeze them. They make a lovely
> addition to a smoothie.
>
> Jo Anne

They make a dandy cream pie, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:
> >Sounds good. I love them as is. It is so rare to find a nice fresh mango
> >around here. I just wish they they would space things out so that the
> >mangoes would be nice and ripe one week and the strawberries another.
> >

> Not if you want to make Barb Schaller's Mango and Strawberry Jam with
> Kiwi Fruit.

He's home free if he does -- the kiwifruit isn't a must (just up the
strawberries a tad) - it was there to make it a little more exotic. If
I had perfectly ripe mangoes and perfectly ripe strawberries on the same
day, I'd be dancing a fine jig.