Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate Tasting

Is anyone interested in starting a online chocolate tasting club? We
could agree on chocolates to try and then discuss them.

Thoughts, questions, comments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chocolate Chocolate wrote:
> Is anyone interested in starting a online chocolate tasting club? We
> could agree on chocolates to try and then discuss them.
>
> Thoughts, questions, comments.

Depends on where you are. It's no good me nominating something that
isn't available in your part of the world, and vice versa.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree that poses a challenge. I'm in the US. The chocolates I was
thinking about are high end. That would makes them a little harder to
find. But I know many of them are available in the major cities in the
US and Europe. Also online as well. So I'm confident it won't be a
problem in the US and Europe.

As for the rest of the world, some research would be required. I know
there is an online chocolate shop in South Africa. Where are you
located?

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> Chocolate Chocolate wrote:
> > Is anyone interested in starting a online chocolate tasting club? We
> > could agree on chocolates to try and then discuss them.
> >
> > Thoughts, questions, comments.
> >

> Depends on where you are. It's no good me nominating something that
> isn't available in your part of the world, and vice versa.
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chocolate Chocolate wrote:
> I agree that poses a challenge. I'm in the US. The chocolates I was
> thinking about are high end. That would makes them a little harder to
> find. But I know many of them are available in the major cities in the
> US and Europe. Also online as well. So I'm confident it won't be a
> problem in the US and Europe.
>
> As for the rest of the world, some research would be required. I know
> there is an online chocolate shop in South Africa. Where are you
> located?

I am in Australia, Melbourne to be precise.

I should have thought that high end stuff was actually easier to locate.
I can get hold of a good range of European chocs, and now Max Bremmer
(Israeli) has set up shop here. You don't see American makes very often,
and consequently you tend not to associate the USA with quality
chocolate (although I had some delectable ones in Seattle, Frangos I
think). I am not sure, though, how easy it would be for you to get hold
of Australian chocs. Haigh's don't even have an outlet in Sydney, just
Adelaide (where they are manufactured) and Melbourne so they probably
don't export. The more boutique local makes would be even harder for you
to source.

Keep us posted, the general idea has a certain attraction :-)

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This might work as I have generally found the high-end European
chocolates are still the best. Maybe we can focus on those. Do you
know if you can find brands like. Amedei, Bonnat, Domori, Dolfin, El
Rey, Michel Cluizel, Slitti, etc?

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> Chocolate Chocolate wrote:
> > I agree that poses a challenge. I'm in the US. The chocolates I was
> > thinking about are high end. That would makes them a little harder to
> > find. But I know many of them are available in the major cities in the
> > US and Europe. Also online as well. So I'm confident it won't be a
> > problem in the US and Europe.
> >
> > As for the rest of the world, some research would be required. I know
> > there is an online chocolate shop in South Africa. Where are you
> > located?
> >

> I am in Australia, Melbourne to be precise.
>
> I should have thought that high end stuff was actually easier to locate.
> I can get hold of a good range of European chocs, and now Max Bremmer
> (Israeli) has set up shop here. You don't see American makes very often,
> and consequently you tend not to associate the USA with quality
> chocolate (although I had some delectable ones in Seattle, Frangos I
> think). I am not sure, though, how easy it would be for you to get hold
> of Australian chocs. Haigh's don't even have an outlet in Sydney, just
> Adelaide (where they are manufactured) and Melbourne so they probably
> don't export. The more boutique local makes would be even harder for you
> to source.
>
> Keep us posted, the general idea has a certain attraction :-)
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:05:49 GMT in <1149789949.317970.258760
@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, (Chocolate
Chocolate) wrote :

>Is anyone interested in starting a online chocolate tasting club? We
>could agree on chocolates to try and then discuss them.
>
>Thoughts, questions, comments.

That's essentially already being done at
http://www.seventypercent.com.
Look in the "Member Chocolate Reviews" and "Chocolate Bars" fora.
Seventypercent also has a lot of good info and ships to several countries.

--
Alex Rast

Chocolate Tasting Group Chocolate Chocolate General Cooking 1 29-07-2006 09:42 PM
Chocolate Tasting Group Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate 0 29-07-2006 09:29 PM
Chocolate Tasting Group Chocolate Chocolate Wine 0 14-06-2006 12:16 AM
Tasting chocolate Scott Chocolate 6 13-02-2005 05:47 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 07:21 PM