Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yogurt/flour for Indian?

Lately just to save time, I haven't been adding any dry milk to my homemade
yogurt so it comes out pretty thin.

Fine for smoothies etc and I like drinking it anyway.

I have some chicken marinating in it right now with some Indian
spices...sort of Tandoori, I suppose.

When it comes time to grill, I was wondering if it would be alright to add a
little flour to the marinade to help thicken just a bit so more of the
goodies cling to the meat?

Is this out of the question? If it isn't......is there any type of flour
that would be more Indian authentic? (Chick pea etc?)

I actually thought I saw a recipe once where flour was added to the yogurt
deliberatly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael!
You are right, chickpea flour (Besan) is used to make batter in almost
all traditional Indian cooking. Now to your dilema, it depends on how
you plan to cook the chicken, if it is to be fried, by all means add
besn and make the batter. If it is to be baked, and you just want the
spices to stick, you may use Besan, Rice flour, or Corn starch. Corn
starch does a very good job.
Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Should I go ahead now and add the chickpea flour?

Thanks so much for the response.

I usually marinade for at least 24 hours.

I like it just thick enought to adhere a bit and like to cook in my Weber
grill at lower temperatures for an hour or so then blast it with heat at the
end.

Funny thing is, in all the MANY recipes you see for Indian chicken that is
marinated you never see the mention of flour....yet I thought I had seen it
before...and it makes plenty of sense.

I like the "neutral" taste of chickpea flour.

Maybe I should keep it thin for the marinade process (so it penetrates
better?) and only add the flour a few hours before ready to cook?

oups.com...