Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Default Pakistani-Indian yogurt curry

Here is my first attempt at Pakistani-Indian yogurt curry:

I made homemade yogurt and then whisked it with corn starch to prevent
separation as it cooks, then whisked in some olive oil along with a
portion of the curry spice mix.

Grate some fresh garlic, ginger, and onion, lightly sautee it in
little bit of oil, add a little butter, stir in a portion of curry
spice mix and turn off heat, remove from pan and allow to cool.

Once the spice mash has cooled, whisk it in the yogurt and pour into
pan. Slowly bring to a boil while whisking continously, adding some
water or chicken broth and maybe coconut milk as it thickens while
briging to a boil, then add diced cooked chicken and reduce heat to
low, cover and stir occasionally.

Cook the chicken curry while you prepare rice, adding a small amount
of curry spice mix to taste near the end, but watch it because all the
mixes seem to overdose on the red chile.

If you add coconut milk, you might want to omit the butter, and you
could probably reduce the amount of oil without harm.

The corn starch worked as a perfect binder, and the yogurt didn't
separate nor did the oil, and after half and hour the chicken was
tender and the curry sauce was thick and creamy and I served it over
rice. Naan bread would have been good, but I haven't learned how to
make it yet.

I used Shan brand 50g box of Chicken Shahi Curry mix from Pakistan,
and it was okay but I've still over half a dozen different mixes to
go, which I picked up at an Indian market for a dollar a box. Things
I might modify would be to add some lemon/lime juice, and maybe some
peanuts for a Thai twist, which would be especially good pureed with
coconut milk. Some of the mixes call for tomatoes or tomato paste.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Recipe suggestion - see instructions above:

Cooked Chicken: 350g

Yogurt: 300g
Corn Starch: 25-30g
Oil: 10-15g

Onion: 20g+
Garlic: 10g+
Ginger: 20g+
Oil: 10-15g
Butter: 10-15g (optional)

Curry Mix: 10-20g (careful!)

Coconut Milk: 50-150g
Chicken Broth: 50-150g

Extra water if needed
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Two questions . How did it taste (in your opinion)

Will you be doing it again and if any modifications ?

wrote:
> Here is my first attempt at Pakistani-Indian yogurt curry:
>
> I made homemade yogurt and then whisked it with corn starch to prevent
> separation as it cooks, then whisked in some olive oil along with a
> portion of the curry spice mix.
>
> Grate some fresh garlic, ginger, and onion, lightly sautee it in
> little bit of oil, add a little butter, stir in a portion of curry
> spice mix and turn off heat, remove from pan and allow to cool.
>
> Once the spice mash has cooled, whisk it in the yogurt and pour into
> pan. Slowly bring to a boil while whisking continously, adding some
> water or chicken broth and maybe coconut milk as it thickens while
> briging to a boil, then add diced cooked chicken and reduce heat to
> low, cover and stir occasionally.
>
> Cook the chicken curry while you prepare rice, adding a small amount
> of curry spice mix to taste near the end, but watch it because all the
> mixes seem to overdose on the red chile.
>
> If you add coconut milk, you might want to omit the butter, and you
> could probably reduce the amount of oil without harm.
>
> The corn starch worked as a perfect binder, and the yogurt didn't
> separate nor did the oil, and after half and hour the chicken was
> tender and the curry sauce was thick and creamy and I served it over
> rice. Naan bread would have been good, but I haven't learned how to
> make it yet.
>
> I used Shan brand 50g box of Chicken Shahi Curry mix from Pakistan,
> and it was okay but I've still over half a dozen different mixes to
> go, which I picked up at an Indian market for a dollar a box. Things
> I might modify would be to add some lemon/lime juice, and maybe some
> peanuts for a Thai twist, which would be especially good pureed with
> coconut milk. Some of the mixes call for tomatoes or tomato paste.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Recipe suggestion - see instructions above:
>
> Cooked Chicken: 350g
>
> Yogurt: 300g
> Corn Starch: 25-30g
> Oil: 10-15g
>
> Onion: 20g+
> Garlic: 10g+
> Ginger: 20g+
> Oil: 10-15g
> Butter: 10-15g (optional)
>
> Curry Mix: 10-20g (careful!)
>
> Coconut Milk: 50-150g
> Chicken Broth: 50-150g
>
> Extra water if needed
> - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 5:31*am, phil--c > wrote:
> Two questions . How did it taste *(in your opinion)
>
> Will you be doing *it again and if *any modifications ?

The taste was okay, but I'm going to be trying other brands of curry
mix, and hopefully one will resemble what I get at my favorite
Pakistani-Indian restaurants in San Francisco. It seems that every
brand of Indian or Thai curry has way too much red chile in it, which
overwhelms all the other spices. I wish they would omit it and let
the cook just add as much extra chile as he wants. One day I want to
attempt making curry with whole spices I toast and grind myself.

I had resisted trying to cook with yogurt because previous attempts
had always caused the yogurt to curdle into a disgusting mess, but the
corn starch trick worked perfectly. I thinned it out with some
coconut milk for my second serving and it really enhanced the flavor,
but added a lot of fat. I love Thai peanut sauce, so I might sautee
some raw peanuts and puree them with the yogurt and coconut milk,
though I doubt it's authentic for Indian curries.
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mar 3, 5:31 am, phil--c > wrote:
>> Two questions . How did it taste (in your opinion)
>>
>> Will you be doing it again and if any modifications ?

> The taste was okay, but I'm going to be trying other brands of curry
> mix, and hopefully one will resemble what I get at my favorite
> Pakistani-Indian restaurants in San Francisco. It seems that every
> brand of Indian or Thai curry has way too much red chile in it, which
> overwhelms all the other spices. I wish they would omit it and let
> the cook just add as much extra chile as he wants. One day I want to
> attempt making curry with whole spices I toast and grind myself.
>
> I had resisted trying to cook with yogurt because previous attempts
> had always caused the yogurt to curdle into a disgusting mess, but the
> corn starch trick worked perfectly. I thinned it out with some
> coconut milk for my second serving and it really enhanced the flavor,
> but added a lot of fat. I love Thai peanut sauce, so I might sautee
> some raw peanuts and puree them with the yogurt and coconut milk,
> though I doubt it's authentic for Indian curries.

Welcome to the world of Kitchen experiments

This web site may assist
http://www.squidoo.com/make-your-own...module10855519

I would suggest a very early purchase to be a mortar and pestle
This site you may find even more helpful

http://knol.google.com/k/sara/how-to...lb64ddr57w/36#

Some of curries from Karila and Goa have no chilli whatsoever
Instead they use Mustard seed or pepper .

Or over there if you can find an Indian shop grab some of the curry
powder they use in Fish head curry (YUM) see if you like it .
If so make that up in powder form EASY as .

Curries so so very regional some take your head off while eating
and you also pay for it the next day .
Others add a flavour without killing all the other subtle flavours of
whats main ingredient.

Thai curry to my mind is nothing like Indian curry with perhaps the
exception of Masaman (which is from the Malay part of the Kingdom any way )
HTH
Cheers
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

phil--c wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:51:13 +0900:

Speaking as someone who has tried to achieve "no-fat" for 20 years (if
it ain't broke don't fix it and I'm still around after a heart bypass)
I resent the recipes that say "never use non-fat yoghurt since it will
curdle". I don't think the authors have ever tried but stirring in a
tablespoon of ordinary flour into the yoghurt before addition prevents
curdling.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:gokg6n$ef9
:

> phil--c wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:51:13 +0900:
>
> Speaking as someone who has tried to achieve "no-fat" for 20 years (if
> it ain't broke don't fix it and I'm still around after a heart bypass)
> I resent the recipes that say "never use non-fat yoghurt since it will
> curdle". I don't think the authors have ever tried but stirring in a
> tablespoon of ordinary flour into the yoghurt before addition prevents
> curdling.

James..... "phil--c" is 'phil-c' aka 'pits09', 'spamlister',
'nemisis'(LOL!!!), 'tired-pits' etc, etc.

It's the original stalker-troll who went back to ozdebate and dragged the
other stalkers back with it...ie, *it* was the one that started all the
shit in here.

Now it's trying to be a 'regular', with it's Googled posts, and pretends
it doesn't know anything about the stalkers.

Best bet is to killfile it.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to alt.food.asian

PeterLucas > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> > phil--c wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:51:13 +0900:
> > [ . . . ]

> Best bet is to killfile it.

Best bet is to NOT xpost!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> The corn starch worked as a perfect binder, and the yogurt didn't
> separate nor did the oil, and after half and hour the chicken was
> tender and the curry sauce was thick and creamy and I served it over
> rice. Naan bread would have been good, but I haven't learned how to
> make it yet.

What, no cilantro?

-sw
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas > wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:gokg6n$ef9
> :
>
>> phil--c wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:51:13 +0900:
>>
>> Speaking as someone who has tried to achieve "no-fat" for 20 years (if
>> it ain't broke don't fix it and I'm still around after a heart bypass)
>> I resent the recipes that say "never use non-fat yoghurt since it will
>> curdle". I don't think the authors have ever tried but stirring in a
>> tablespoon of ordinary flour into the yoghurt before addition prevents
>> curdling.
>>

> James..... "phil--c" is 'phil-c' aka 'pits09', 'spamlister',
> 'nemisis'(LOL!!!), 'tired-pits' etc, etc.
>
> It's the original stalker-troll who went back to ozdebate and dragged the
> other stalkers back with it...ie, *it* was the one that started all the
> shit in here.
>
> Now it's trying to be a 'regular', with it's Googled posts, and pretends
> it doesn't know anything about the stalkers.
>
> Best bet is to killfile it.

Shut the **** up, Peter. Go have your mental breakdown someplace
else, will ya?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> PeterLucas > wrote:
>>> "James Silverton" > wrote in

>> Shut the **** up, Peter. Go have your mental breakdown someplace
>> else, will ya?

> Must we xpost?

Oh, go suck a salted duck egg, will ya? :-)

-sw

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:27:18 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> PeterLucas > wrote:
>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:gokg6n$ef9
>> :
>>
>>> phil--c wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:51:13 +0900:
>>>
>>> Speaking as someone who has tried to achieve "no-fat" for 20 years (if
>>> it ain't broke don't fix it and I'm still around after a heart bypass)
>>> I resent the recipes that say "never use non-fat yoghurt since it will
>>> curdle". I don't think the authors have ever tried but stirring in a
>>> tablespoon of ordinary flour into the yoghurt before addition prevents
>>> curdling.
>>>

>> James..... "phil--c" is 'phil-c' aka 'pits09', 'spamlister',
>> 'nemisis'(LOL!!!), 'tired-pits' etc, etc.
>>
>> It's the original stalker-troll who went back to ozdebate and dragged the
>> other stalkers back with it...ie, *it* was the one that started all the
>> shit in here.
>>
>> Now it's trying to be a 'regular', with it's Googled posts, and pretends
>> it doesn't know anything about the stalkers.
>>
>> Best bet is to killfile it.

> Shut the **** up, Peter. Go have your mental breakdown someplace
> else, will ya?
>
> -sw

seriously. i don't think i've encountered anyone on usenet more interested
in telling people who they should not read or respond to.

your pal,
blake