Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

Default Bush's 'comprehensive' immigration

Dung Ping wrote:
> Bush always said the immigration legislation had to be 'comprehensive',
> and had to include granting legal status to illegal aliens. This fact
> alone indicates he does not care about a secure border. What he means
> is that no matter how broken the border continues to be, the illgal
> aliens must be offered citizenship.
>
> The House bill sets up a condition: the border must be secured first.
> If not, the amnesty will be a huge trouble maker. This is rational
> and reasonable. But Bush, Frist and Reid don't like this condition.
> It's obvious that the border will continue to be porous. And securing
> the border is only a lip service. They love an unconditional amnesty.
>
> Kennedy's proposal contains more empty items. He says the illegal
> aliens must learn English. But he grants them amnesty first. If the
> don't learn, then what?

Bush, McCain, Kennedy, Reid, et al, should be brought before a
Citizen's Tribunal on charges of treason. If convicted, the penalty
would be death.

John

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 May 2006 07:25:38 -0700, "Food Snob" > wrote:

>To become a citizen, one must learn English.

Why. I've known lots of good citizens who didn't speak English.

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:21:58 -0400, mm >
wrote:

>On 15 May 2006 07:25:38 -0700, "Food Snob" > wrote:
>
>>To become a citizen, one must learn English.

>Why. I've known lots of good citizens who didn't speak English.

Leaving aside the fact that english is a better collection
of languages than anything else available:
To reduce publishing costs, and to give lip service to
the idea that we are all one people.

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

>>On 15 May 2006 07:25:38 -0700, "Food Snob" > wrote:
>>
>>>To become a citizen, one must learn English.

>>Why. I've known lots of good citizens who didn't speak English.

Having a common language sure helps communications though. If a person
speaks no English, they are not going to be able to do certain jobs that
require working with the public at large, the mostly English speaking
citizens. When that person needs medical assistance, it is also important
to be able to get across to the doctor what the problem is.

Just as I take the time to learn a few words of the native language of the
country I visit, those living here should be able to have at least a basic
understanding. Rather that all of us learning 50 different languages, it is
easier for everyone to use one language in common. At least that way, you
can ask to find a toilet when needed.

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Just as I take the time to learn a few words of the native language
> of the country I visit, those living here should be able to have at
> least a basic understanding. Rather that all of us learning 50
> different languages, it is easier for everyone to use one language in
> common. At least that way, you can ask to find a toilet when needed.

Early on it was obvious the new state of Israel would be accepting
immigrants from almost everywhere. They decided the national language would
be Hebrew even though none of the new immigrants spoke it as a native tongue
(runner-up was Yiddish). Everybody had to learn Hebrew.

Last I heard, Israel had accepted significant number of immigrants from 105
countries speaking 84 native languages.

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

My grandparents came to this country in 1908 from Russia. No bi-lingual
anything. They learned the language and became Americans. The people who
come here from Mexico are fleeing a country that is an abject failure as a
nation. Mexico can not provide even basic services for their people. I don't
blame them for wanting to come here to get a better life. I have to wonder
why they wouldn't feel anything for contempt for the place they had to leave
in order to survive. If they were working to assimilate into our society
instead of attempting to make the USA just like the country they left, they
would be welcomed. So far, not happening.

"mm" > wrote in message
news
> On 15 May 2006 07:25:38 -0700, "Food Snob" > wrote:
>
>>To become a citizen, one must learn English.

> Why. I've known lots of good citizens who didn't speak English.

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On 16 May 2006 09:35:39 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, "Food Snob"
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >
> >Yeah, those nasty immigrants are always urinating and defecating in
> >inappropriate places.
> >
> >Sorry, I couldn't resist ; )

> Ahh, a bigot as well. Why am I not surprised?

No. It was a joke, one that was in quite bad taste. That's why I
followed it with the line, "Sorry, I couldn't resist ; )" which even
had a winking smiley at the end. Heck, I'm glad that my city has
gotten more Mexicans in the past decade. I can finally get a perfect
asada burrito. Go to stl.dining and you'll see how I praise my
favorite Mexican taqueria.

--Bryan

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

Craig Welch wrote:
> "Food Snob" stuttered:
>
> >I think the idea is that to get all the benefits of citizenship, one
> >must become a citizen. To become a citizen, one must learn English.

What's with those superfluous commas? You need to enrol in a Remedial
English class.

> But that would cause the existing president to lose his citizenship.
> Where would he be deported to?

To Texas of course. English is not spoken in the south... ya'll can't
convince me that they ALL have deviated septums, sinusitis, and chronic
drawl (drawl is simply a polite euphemism for 'slow', as in mentally -
way too much inbreeding). Bush definitely enunciates better than the
vast majority of his hillybilly constituents, certainly better than his
Maw n' Paw.

Sheldon Twang

Posted to atl.general,alt.politics.economics,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

(Apparent counting group removed.)
On 18 May 2006 05:52:48 -0700, in atl.general "Sheldon" >
wrote:

>Craig Welch wrote:
>> "Food Snob" stuttered:
>>
>> >I think the idea is that to get all the benefits of citizenship, one
>> >must become a citizen. To become a citizen, one must learn English.

>What's with those superfluous commas? You need to enrol in a Remedial
>English class.

His sentence structure and comma use was not wrong.
He used the commas for impact, and effect -- like I just did in this
sentence.
There is a book called "Eats Shoots and Leaves" which would probably do you
better than a remedial English class. Comma usage is often arbitrary when
used for clarification and understandability.

FACE