Nordo

Default Looking for comprehensive raw diet info

There's a lot of blurbs on raw diets floating around the net, but I
haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to guide. Does anyone
know a website with a listing of what foods are best to eat to get a
rounded raw diet? I'm also curious to know which vegetables are
actually healthier when cooked, because articles always mention that
such foods exist, but never give an example of one. Any info is
appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nordo
John Coleman

Hi Nordo,

I wish I had time to put together a good guide to doing a raw food diet, but
I have other priorities. It will happen sometime though.

Many raw web sites fail to tell how much to eat, raw is such a different
experience to cooked, and most raw food is less energy nutrient dense that
you need a lot more. This is probably why undernutrition is not uncommon
with raw foodists.

Some pulses really must be cooked because they are toxic, also some of the
cabbage family benefit from cooking because it may reduce the goitrogenic
effects they have. However, most regular commercial foods can be eaten raw
one way or another, if the taste is too bitter one can just cheat a little
and immerse the vegetable in hot water for a minute or 2. Tough foods can be
juiced or grated. Raw foods have potent anti cancer chemicals that do not
occur once food is cooked (Nutr Cancer. 2003;46(2):131-7), which may partly
explain why cooked foodists are more prone to cancer. I don't think there is
any evidence that cooked vegetables are healthier, just that some are toxic
raw., but these can be avoided.

In terms of variety, it is important to eat enough fruit to get the
carbohydrates you need - this will be about 15+ servings per day. To this
you must add a hearty salad consisiting about 1 pound or more if you can
manage, of greens, root vegetables and seeds. Seeds includes regular seeds
as well as sprouted legumes or grains. You can reduce this if you juice, for
example, carrots and greens.

You will still need a B12 supplement as per regular vegan diet and also
vitamin D if you live without enough sunshine. Drop me a line if you need
anymore advice, I've been 99% raw about 4 years, and 70% raw for a few years
before that.

regards,
John

"Nordo" > wrote in message
> There's a lot of blurbs on raw diets floating around the net, but I
> haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to guide. Does anyone
> know a website with a listing of what foods are best to eat to get a
> rounded raw diet? I'm also curious to know which vegetables are
> actually healthier when cooked, because articles always mention that
> such foods exist, but never give an example of one. Any info is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo

cde

Nordo wrote:
> There's a lot of blurbs on raw diets floating around the net, but I
> haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to guide. Does anyone
> know a website with a listing of what foods are best to eat to get a
> rounded raw diet?

You will probably need 3-5 kg of food per day, maybe more. It can be
expensive.

Something like this, more or less, you might have to experiment and
see how you feel:

20-25% nuts/seeds/olive/virgin olive oil/avocado, including flax or flax oil
and limiting omega6 fatty acids
10-20% leaves
10-20% nonsweet fruit and other "vegetables" including mushrooms
20-40% sweet fruit, some can go higher with this
0-20% legumes, probably best sprouted, lightly cooked
0-10% other

+ reliable B12 supplement (mandatory)
+ D supplement (optional, depending on exposure)
+ long-chain omega3 supplement (optional)

I'm also curious to know which vegetables are
> actually healthier when cooked, because articles always mention that
> such foods exist, but never give an example of one. Any info is
> appreciated.

Some of the carotenoids are considered to be best
assimilated when cooked (beta carotene in green and
orange vegetables and lycopene in tomatoes), although
this is somewhat debatable because cooking turns the
trans isomers into cis, which are less bioactive.

Grains and legumes are on the whole best cooked because
when raw they generally contain antinutrients that are
deactivated on cooking. Soaking and sprouting helps.

With vegetables, they are more digestible when cooked
because cooking breaks down the fiber matrix, but it
also destroys the protective phytochemicals.

Here are some raw diet plan comparisons with weak
spots highlighted in red

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/raw.html

And here is a nutrient density listing of most
vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, and
whole grains:

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_density.html

Some pictures, to help you decide what to eat:

http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_profiles.html

Also see Stephen Walsh's article, healthy choices on raw
food diets, not that I agree completely with everything

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/raw_food.php
John Coleman

"cde" > wrote in message
> Nordo wrote:
> > There's a lot of blurbs on raw diets floating around the net, but I
> > haven't been able to find anything close to a how-to guide. Does anyone
> > know a website with a listing of what foods are best to eat to get a
> > rounded raw diet?

> You will probably need 3-5 kg of food per day, maybe more. It can be

8<
> Some of the carotenoids are considered to be best
> assimilated when cooked (beta carotene in green and
> orange vegetables and lycopene in tomatoes), although
> this is somewhat debatable because cooking turns the
> trans isomers into cis, which are less bioactive.

This is all rather hypothetical. Studies show repeatedly that raw food is
better than cooked:

1) Adzersen et al., Raw and Cooked Vegetables, Fruits, Selected
Micronutrients, and Breast Cancer Risk: A Case-Control Study in Germany
NUTRITION AND CANCER, 46(2), 131-137

"As shown in a recent meta-analysis, inverse associations
with breast cancer appear to be more consistent for vegetable
than for fruit intake. In contrast, a recent pooled analysis
of prospective cohort studies does not suggest that increasing
vegetable or fruit consumption during adulthood would be
associated with reduced breast cancer risk. In both of
these evaluations, there was no separation of effects of raw
and cooked vegetables. The inverse association with raw vegetable
consumption seen in our study confirms the results of
two other European studies (2,3), observing protective effects for
raw and null effect for cooked vegetables.

.. . . Significant breast cancer protective effects in this study
were found only with high consumption of raw vegetables
(>65 g/day) and whole-grain products (>47 g/day), whereas
the highest quartile of vegetable consumption (>113 g/day)
was of borderline significance (OR = 0.62, 95% CI =
0.38-1.02). This might indicate that a certain daily amount
of these plant foods is necessary to confer a risk-reducing
effect. The effect was attenuated by adjusting for vitamin
C, folic acid, and ?-carotene which likely indicates that the
examined components may in part affect risk but also that
there are other components in raw vegetables that exert protective
effects independent of these vitamins."

2) Katsouyanni K, Trichopoulos D, Boyle P, Xirouchaki E, Trichopoulou, A, et
al.: Diet and breast cancer: a case-control study in Greece. Int J, Cancer
38, 815-820, 1986

3) Franceschi S, Favero A, La Vecchia C, Negri E, Dal Maso L, et al.:
Influence of food groups and food diversity on breast cancer risk in Italy,
Int J Cancer 63, 785-791, 1995

> With vegetables, they are more digestible when cooked
> because cooking breaks down the fiber matrix, but it
> also destroys the protective phytochemicals.

Indeed, a poor exchange when one can juice most vegetables in a few minutes
and enjoy all their nutritive benefits, while using far less energy.

John

PATRICK D'ACRE

Aloha,

We, from the Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, in Hawaii, are presenting our
award winning lifestyle book, Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, combining ancient
wisdom with modern healthy eating recipes, in our college campaign. This
program is starting on your campus, in the next 2 weeks, and we'd like to
know how we can arrange for your bookstore to carry our book.

Please visit this site, and let us know how you handle new book
acquisitions:

http://www.veganfusion.com

Thank you from paradise,

Patrick Michaels