Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Saffron in the Chef's Catalogue

I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
their saffron?
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Bank wrote:
> I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> their saffron?

Hmm, at the catalog insert... must be a typo/FU... perhaps a decimal
point missing... or even worse, because on line they give no weight,
just "Small" and "Large"... and says "back ordered".

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...n&item=2 1162

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
says...

> Jerry Bank wrote:
> > I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> > saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> > ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> > their saffron?

> Hmm, at the catalog insert... must be a typo/FU... perhaps a decimal
> point missing... or even worse, because on line they give no weight,
> just "Small" and "Large"... and says "back ordered".

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...n&item=2 1162

Backordered isn't a problem, unless they will never get it. I emailed
them about the accuracy, and they said it was as listed. It seems about
a third of what it should be, when you take shipping into account.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Music is the language of the gods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Bank wrote:
> > Sheldon writes:
> > Jerry Bank wrote:
> > > I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> > > saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> > > ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> > > their saffron?

> > Hmm, at the catalog insert... must be a typo/FU... perhaps a decimal
> > point missing... or even worse, because on line they give no weight,
> > just "Small" and "Large"... and says "back ordered".
> >
> > http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...n&item=2 1162

> Backordered isn't a problem, unless they will never get it. I emailed
> them about the accuracy, and they said it was as listed.

Then you'd be foolish to pass that up.

> It seems about a third of what it should be, when you take shipping into account.

What about how on line they don't indicate any weight or grade... that
doesn't peak your interest... and the price in the catalog is about one
tenth what it should be. Shipping is inconsequential... I never
consider shipping cost from mail order companies... would you not
consider the cost of traveling to the brick and mortar emporiums...
gasolene alone is a lot more costly than freight, not to mention peril
in driving, wear and tear, and time.

Compare he
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...yssaffron.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, on Tue, 25 Apr
2006 12:21:49 GMT, Jerry Bank wrote:

> I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> their saffron?

Those are *grams*, not *ounces*. (I don't have the catalogue, so I can't
tell if it's a typo, or if you misread the listing.) If you click on
the "View Alternate Image" in the URL Sheldon gave, reachable directly
at:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/images/c...e/21162_lg.jpg

You can just make out the "4g" on the label.

Here's a better pictu

http://www.saffron-spain.com/espa/imagen/tarro4.gif

This would make the Chef's Catalog about twice as expensive (or more) as
anyone specializing in spices. In part, I think the extra price is for
the fancy jars.

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Seth Goodman wrote:
> In article >, on Tue, 25 Apr
> 2006 12:21:49 GMT, Jerry Bank wrote:
>
> > I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> > saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> > ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> > their saffron?

> Those are *grams*, not *ounces*. (I don't have the catalogue, so I can't
> tell if it's a typo, or if you misread the listing.) If you click on
> the "View Alternate Image" in the URL Sheldon gave, reachable directly
> at:
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/images/c...e/21162_lg.jpg
>
> You can just make out the "4g" on the label.
>
> Here's a better pictu
>
> http://www.saffron-spain.com/espa/imagen/tarro4.gif
>

> This would make the Chef's Catalog about twice as expensive (or more) as
> anyone specializing in spices. In part, I think the extra price is for
> the fancy jars.

Yep, thanks for pointing out that "g"... makes their product about
double what Penzeys charges, and Chef's doesn't mention the grade... so
it seems to me they are selling jars too.

I've made many purchases from Chef's Catalog, often they have excellent
prices but their staff is very unknowlegeable, and typically like many
telephone clerks when they don't know they make things up. With
Penzeys I've found most of their staff very knowlegeable and those who
don't know will get someone for you to speak with who does know. Also
Penzey's catalog and web site are loaded with detailed information.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> In article >, on Tue, 25 Apr
> 2006 12:21:49 GMT, Jerry Bank wrote:
>
> > I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> > saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> > ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> > their saffron?

> Those are *grams*, not *ounces*. (I don't have the catalogue, so I can't
> tell if it's a typo, or if you misread the listing.) If you click on
> the "View Alternate Image" in the URL Sheldon gave, reachable directly
> at:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/images/c...e/21162_lg.jpg

> You can just make out the "4g" on the label.
>
> Here's a better pictu
>
> http://www.saffron-spain.com/espa/imagen/tarro4.gif
>

> This would make the Chef's Catalog about twice as expensive (or more) as
> anyone specializing in spices. In part, I think the extra price is for
> the fancy jars.

Looking at the picture, I now realize that it is indeed grams, so very
much more expensive than advertized.

I have purchased Iranian saffron from Vanilla Saffron Imports
(http://saffron.com/cons_guide.html) and have been quite pleased.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Music is the language of the gods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Bank" > wrote in message
:I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
: saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
: ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
: their saffron?
: --
: Jerry Bank
: Trenton, New Jersey
: Music is the language of the gods.

I can vouch for the superb quality of this New Zealand grown Saffron. Superb
colour and taste and no adulteration

http://www.saffron.co.nz/prod01.htm

I guess they sell overseas? Multiply the NZ$ figures by 0.63 to get the US$
equivalent

Frenchy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Bank" > wrote in message
> I received the new Chef's Catalogue in the mail. They are selling Mancha
> saffron for what seems like a price that is too cheap. $12.99 for an
> ounce, and $38.99 for four ounces. Does anyone have any experience with
> their saffron?
> --
> Jerry Bank
> Trenton, New Jersey
> Music is the language of the gods.

I have no idea about this specific offer or the supplier but at those prices
it cannot be the real thing.

David

Upton catalogue toci Tea 0 24-05-2010 01:24 AM
I have a plethora of saffron, so.... REC: Saffron and Almond Cake PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 7 04-10-2007 10:16 PM
Macho Chef - Learn how Macho Chef dealth with the evil kitchen fly from Hades Android General Cooking 0 30-11-2006 02:32 PM
Waaah - Penzeys never sent me their catalogue :( Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 25 15-08-2006 09:50 PM
FA: The Cooks' Catalogue HBDJ 1975 Intro James Beard katie-mae Marketplace 0 10-04-2004 09:03 PM