Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I have a plethora of saffron, so.... REC: Saffron and Almond Cake

Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

serves 10

Milk Gelato:

175g caster sugar, 100g liquid glucose, 700ml milk

Saffron Syrup:

170g (½ cup) caster sugar, pinch of saffron, 1 vanilla bean, split
lengthways, seeds scraped

Saffron Cake:

165ml (2/3 cup) milk; half-tsp saffron threads; 150g (1 cup) plain
flour; 55g (half cup) almond meal; 220g (1 cup) caster sugar; 1 tsp
baking powder; half tsp bicarbonate of soda; grated zest and juice of 1
orange; half tsp ground mixed spice; 1 large egg; 25g (quarter cup)
flaked almonds.

To make the milk gelato, combine the sugar, glucose and 250ml (1 cup) of
the milk in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar
dissolves – do not let the mixture boil. Remove from the heat.

Stir in the remaining milk then refrigerate until cold. Churn in an ice
cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions and store in
the freezer.

To make the saffron syrup, place the sugar, saffron, vanilla bean and
seeds in a saucepan with 100ml water. Bring to the boil, stirring to
dissolve the sugar then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 5
minutes until the mixture has reduced to a syrup consistency. Remove
from the heat, discard the vanilla bean and set aside to cool.

To make the saffron cake, preheat the oven to 190C. Grease and line a
20-22cm spring-form cake tin.

Put 50ml of milk and the saffron in a small saucepan over medium heat,
bring to a simmer then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, use a fork to combine the flour, almond meal, sugar,
baking powder, baking soda, orange zest and mixed spice, ensuring the
ingredients are evenly distributed.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, saffron-infused milk, egg
and orange juice. Add to the dry ingredients and bring together with the
fork, stirring until just combined.

Pour into the prepared cake tin, scatter over the flaked almonds then
bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted
into the centre. Cool briefly in the tin before turning out on to a wire
rack. Drizzle over half of the saffron syrup and allow to cool to room
temperature.

To serve, cut the cake into wedges place in the centre of serving
plates. Drizzle over the remaining syrup and serve with a generous spoon
of milk gelato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
0.25...
> Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

ugh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

snippage

I have to make this it sounds delicious.

If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
substitution.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/13

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote in :

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
> wrote:
>
>>Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

> snippage
>
> I have to make this it sounds delicious.
>
> If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
> substitution.

Just buy some almonds and put in a food processor/blender until finely
ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
> wrote:
>
>> Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

> snippage
>
> I have to make this it sounds delicious.
>
> If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
> substitution.
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 9/13
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

Try Trader Joe's. (I forget where you live, so I don't know
whether you have access to one.)

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:03:56 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

>> snippage
>>
>> I have to make this it sounds delicious.
>>
>> If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
>> substitution.
>>
>> koko
>> ---
>> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 9/13
>>
>> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
>> George Bernard Shaw

>Try Trader Joe's. (I forget where you live, so I don't know
>whether you have access to one.)

Yes I do, thanks.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/03

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:40:39 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>koko wrote in :
>
>> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Saffron and almond cake, milk gelato and saffron syrup

>> snippage
>>
>> I have to make this it sounds delicious.
>>
>> If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
>> substitution.
>>

>Just buy some almonds and put in a food processor/blender until finely
>ground.

I was thinking of that, but I'm afraid I'll end up with almond butter.
;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/03

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:40:39 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
> wrote:
>
>>koko wrote in :

>>> snippage
>>>
>>> I have to make this it sounds delicious.
>>>
>>> If I could not find the almond meal what would you suggest as a
>>> substitution.
>>>

>>Just buy some almonds and put in a food processor/blender until finely
>>ground.

> I was thinking of that, but I'm afraid I'll end up with almond butter.
> ;-)
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 10/03
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

Probably not, unless you have a really powerful FP. I had a devil of a time
getting my almond butter nice and smooth, finally had to add a little oil.

Lynne A

Almond-Pistachio Saffron Curry Sauce baby saffron Recipes 1 10-11-2012 12:22 PM
Saffron stark General Cooking 4 11-08-2006 11:41 PM
saffron saffrongourmet.com General Cooking 1 18-01-2006 10:08 PM
Almond Pistachio Saffron Curry Sauce Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-03-2005 08:38 PM
Saffron Michel Boucher General Cooking 6 02-02-2005 10:40 AM