Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need help with pork chops

I have a question about pork chpos.
I have tried to cook them(every variety-boneless, centure-cut,
bone-in,etc.), but thet always seem to come out dry and tough. I have
sauteed, bahed and broiled them but they never come out well. My local
supermarket often has them on sale for a really good price, so I like
to take advantage. Also, pork is a good alternative to chicken and
beef.
Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
chops.
Thanks in advance.

Darren

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a question about pork chpos.
> I have tried to cook them(every variety-boneless, centure-cut,
> bone-in,etc.), but thet always seem to come out dry and tough. I have
> sauteed, bahed and broiled them but they never come out well. My local
> supermarket often has them on sale for a really good price, so I like
> to take advantage. Also, pork is a good alternative to chicken and
> beef.
> Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
> My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
> chops.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Darren

You must be cooking them for too long at too high of a heat. Pork doesn't
have to be cooked to death anymore. In fact, I prefer mine *slightly* pink
in the center, which guarantees juiciness.

I'd say your best bet would be to grill, broil or fry your chops, depending
upon thickness. (BTW, it's only a chop if it has a bone in it; without a
bone it's a pork medalion - part of the loin.)

To cook, season your chops and only flip once. When the juices come up
through the top side, (again, depending upon how thick you like your chops)
flip and continue cooking. Cut into the chop, if necessary, to determine
doneness. If it's too pink for your liking, continue cooking on that side.
Honestly, slightly pink or just until not pink, will ensure a juicy chop.

Here's an example of a perfectly done chop, IMO.
http://i3.tinypic.com/w1blvd.jpg

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a question about pork chpos.
> I have tried to cook them(every variety-boneless, centure-cut,
> bone-in,etc.), but thet always seem to come out dry and tough. I have
> sauteed, bahed and broiled them but they never come out well. My local
> supermarket often has them on sale for a really good price, so I like
> to take advantage. Also, pork is a good alternative to chicken and
> beef.
> Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
> My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
> chops.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Darren

These days, a lot of pork chops are so lean that the old cooking rules go
out the window. Less fat means less juicy, and if you've cooked boneless
skinless chicken breasts, you're already familiar with how meat than be
turned into shoe leather very quickly. Furthermore, the risk or trichinosis
is nothing like it was 30-40 years ago, but cooking advice for pork
sometimes suggests cooking the meat to death anyway.

As a starting point, try this, an extension of James Beard's advice for
cooking steak. Keep in mind that this is based on the 1" thick, bone-in
chops I usually buy. Season the pork chop with whatever you've got a craving
for at the moment. No - not ice cream. Salt & pepper, taco seasoning powder,
a Cajun spice blend. I use a stainless steel pan with no oil at all for
this. A non-stick pan is a BAD idea. Preheat the pan over medium-high heat.
Cook the meat for 2 minutes on one side, at which point is should have a
nice color. Flip it over, cook 2 more minutes, and then turn the heat down
until it's just above the point where you barely hear sizzling. Cook 5
minutes more, flip, repeat, and eat.

In the center of the meat, you should barely see a hint of pink color - just
barely. If the bone is thick (and you'll have to learn "thick, more thick,
less thick" from a few repetitions), the meat can end up TOO pink near the
bone, but perfect in the center of the meat. That's not good. Once you've
learned to spot a bone thick enough to cause this problem, begin the cooking
process by standing the chops up on edge, with bone down, for 2-4 minutes,
until you see the meat near the bone just beginning to color. Then, proceed
as suggested earlier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> > Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
> > My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
> > chops.

> Use thick chops, at least 1 inch - they tend to stay moister. Brining is
> a really good idea, makes a big difference.

I agree with the brining. It seasons the meat a bit, and they stay
moist -- as long as you don't overcook, of course.

> Also, do not overcook. You want a slight trace of pink in the middle,

I use the sear and roast method with thick chops. Heat your oven to
450 degrees before you get started. Sear your chops quickly on both
sides in a heavy oven-proof skillet, then pop the skillet in the oven.
It shouldn't take too long before they are cooked all the way through
(use an instant read thermometer), 10 minutes max. The chops cook from
all sides and stay really nice and juicy. When they're done you can
transfer them to a plate and use the drippings and fond to create a
great sauce.

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>I have a question about pork chpos.
>>I have tried to cook them(every variety-boneless, centure-cut,
>>bone-in,etc.), but thet always seem to come out dry and tough. I have
>>sauteed, bahed and broiled them but they never come out well. My local
>>supermarket often has them on sale for a really good price, so I like
>>to take advantage. Also, pork is a good alternative to chicken and
>>beef.
>>Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
>>My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
>>chops.
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Darren

> Try browning them in oil (season the chops with salt and pepper) and then
> add a little water to the pan and braise them, covered, over low heat for
> about 40 minutes. They should come out plenty tender and if you're feeling
> really adventurous you can thicken the cooking liquid with a cornstarch
> slurry and make a gravy. At this point I'd stir in some Kitchen Bouquet or
> something to make the gravy look brown, but other than that, no biggie
>
> Jill

Now that I have the contact grill, it's the only way I ever cook pork
chops. Braising is good but it's not the same as a good grilled chop.
The texture is different.

Pre-heat the grill for 10 minutes, marinate the chops and drain off
excess liquid. Place them on the contact grill, close the lid and time
for 5 minutes for the average cut. Experiment with times for different
thicknesses.

I'd quit buying chops for awhile until this worked so well! They come
out moist and juicy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?

> Don't buy the saline injected pork is my first bit of advice. Then,
> use more fat than you think necessary, store bought pork is bred to be
> much leaner than in the past, and don't cook it nearly as long.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I'll second that injected thing... For example, all of the pork chops you
see at Wal Mart are that way, and there is a big difference in how they
cook.. They claim they put that stuff in there add flavor and moisture, but
it adds weight which then relates to higher costs. Give me meat with no
ingredients please.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LT wrote:
>>>Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?

>> Don't buy the saline injected pork is my first bit of advice. Then,
>>use more fat than you think necessary, store bought pork is bred to be
>>much leaner than in the past, and don't cook it nearly as long.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee
>>

> I'll second that injected thing... For example, all of the pork chops you
> see at Wal Mart are that way, and there is a big difference in how they
> cook.. They claim they put that stuff in there add flavor and moisture, but
> it adds weight which then relates to higher costs. Give me meat with no
> ingredients please.
>
> Larry T

Same here, and Wally "meat" also includes preservatives so it can be
displayed for a long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message

>>> Don't buy the saline injected pork is my first bit of advice. Then,
>>>use more fat than you think necessary, store bought pork is bred to be
>>>much leaner than in the past, and don't cook it nearly as long.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ranee
>>>

>> I'll second that injected thing... For example, all of the pork chops you
>> see at Wal Mart are that way, and there is a big difference in how they
>> cook.. They claim they put that stuff in there add flavor and moisture,
>> but
>> it adds weight which then relates to higher costs. Give me meat with no
>> ingredients please.
>>
>> Larry T
>>

> Same here, and Wally "meat" also includes preservatives so it can be
> displayed for a long time.

Those chemicals are safe. The companies who make them say so. That should be
good enough for all of us.

<burp>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

salgud wrote:
> And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"?? I think
> you've proven beyond all doubt with this advice that you wouldn't know
> how to boil water!!

Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I have
a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little paprika
in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or less.
It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
methods. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:01:40 -0700, salgud wrote:

> VERY FEW here can actually cook... perhaps fewer than the fingers of
> one hand, and that is a fact... proven once again right here in this
> thread."

Probably true, but we still try.

> And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"??

Dry coating and oven baking will sure do the job. I like pork almost
anyway but DRY and TOUGH. My BEST advice to a novice who can't quite
figure out when to stop cooking pork chops is to try smothering them.
You can then COOK away and .. still good..moist and tender!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"?? I think
> > you've proven beyond all doubt with this advice that you wouldn't know
> > how to boil water!!

> Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
> chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I have
> a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little paprika
> in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or less.
> It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
> methods. -aem

I'm not arguing against breading in general, though in general, with
some exceptions, it's not my favorite way to cook meat. But dogturd
said "Shake-n-Bake"! God only knows what's in that stuff. I remember
trying it once many years ago, don't think I ever did it again. I can
do much better with something like you've described above.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>> And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"?? I think
>> you've proven beyond all doubt with this advice that you wouldn't
>> know how to boil water!!

> Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
> chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I
> have a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little
> paprika in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or
> less.
> It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
> methods. -aem

Stuffed pork chops are wonderful! When I can find them I buy extra thick
(like 2 inches) pork chops with the intent of stuffing them. They turn out
great every time. I use a cornbread stuffing (surprise!) with onion and
garlic and dried thyme and lots of butter. The cornbread stuffing is
moistened with hot chicken broth. Cut a slit in the chops up to the bone
and then fill it with stuffing using a spoon. Simply sprinkle the chop with
salt & pepper. Put them in the oven at 325F for about 50 minutes. The
stuffing will swell up; the chops will brown slightly but not be
over-cooked. No need for a starch as a side dish with this method; simply
serve with salad or a steamed veggie of choice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

salgud wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > salgud wrote:
> > > And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"?? I think
> > > you've proven beyond all doubt with this advice that you wouldn't know
> > > how to boil water!!

> > Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
> > chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I have
> > a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little paprika
> > in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or less.
> > It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
> > methods. -aem

> I'm not arguing against breading in general, though in general, with
> some exceptions, it's not my favorite way to cook meat. But dogturd
> said "Shake-n-Bake"! God only knows what's in that stuff.

What he actually wrote was, "Make your own." So it would have in it
whatever you put. -aem

I remember
> trying it once many years ago, don't think I ever did it again. I can
> do much better with something like you've described above.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> salgud wrote:
>>> And your best advice to cook pork chops is "Shake-n-Bake"?? I think
>>> you've proven beyond all doubt with this advice that you wouldn't
>>> know how to boil water!!

>> Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
>> chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I
>> have a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little
>> paprika in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or
>> less.
>> It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
>> methods. -aem

> I'm not arguing against breading in general, though in general, with
> some exceptions, it's not my favorite way to cook meat. But dogturd
> said "Shake-n-Bake"! God only knows what's in that stuff. I remember
> trying it once many years ago, don't think I ever did it again. I can
> do much better with something like you've described above.

All you have to do is read the ingredients on the package of Shake & Bake
Seriously, breaded and baked chops can be very good, but the key always is
don't overcook pork. Don't be afraid of a little pink!

My brother invited me over for dinner once and he'd prepared a pork
tenderloin on the grill. Can you say overcooked?! It was tough as shoe
leather.

I have a couple of wonderful recipes for pork tenderloin; I'll post them
separately.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>, darrenli516
@yahoo.com says...
> I have a question about pork chpos.
> I have tried to cook them(every variety-boneless, centure-cut,
> bone-in,etc.), but thet always seem to come out dry and tough. I have
> sauteed, bahed and broiled them but they never come out well. My local
> supermarket often has them on sale for a really good price, so I like
> to take advantage. Also, pork is a good alternative to chicken and
> beef.
> Anyone have any helpful hints or good fool-proof recipes?
> My pork roasts always come out good, but I have a tough time with the
> chops.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Darren

Pork chops in this house always get turned in salted beaten egg, then plain
breadcrumbs before they go into the pan. Goodly amount of oil, not smoking hot;
turn down to medium heat once the outer coat has taken on a good colour from
both sides.
If you turn the heat down at the right time, they can be fairly forgiving in
cooking times even, without going tough or dry. Drizzle some lemon juice over
them as they're going to the table if you like that sort of thing.

With boneless pork chops we sometimes also cut a pocket, slip in a slice of
Swiss cheese .....

-P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > aem wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, I dunno. I've had good luck recently breading and baking pork
> > > chops. I season them with s&p and, lately, a little marjoram -- I have
> > > a Greek marjoram plant in the garden. Then I sprinkle a little paprika
> > > in with panko just for fun. Flour, egg, panko, bake @350 or less.
> > > It's still important not to overcook them, just as in the other
> > > methods. -aem

> > I'm not arguing against breading in general, though in general, with
> > some exceptions, it's not my favorite way to cook meat. But dogturd
> > said "Shake-n-Bake"! God only knows what's in that stuff.

> What he actually wrote was, "Make your own." So it would have in it
> whatever you put. -aem
>
> I remember
> > trying it once many years ago, don't think I ever did it again. I can
> > do much better with something like you've described above.

salgud is simply just another waste of protoplasm, the functionally
illiterate puke.

Gotta be a zillion do it yerself shake n' bake recipes but puke for
brains salgud is way too much an ignoranus... he's definitely not one
of the kitchen fingers, not even close, he's one of the kitchen
assholes.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1727,...251200,00.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had this problem. What I now do, and it seems to help,
if pan-frying pork chops is when I flip them, I cover them by
placing a pot cover directly on top of them. (It must be smaller
than would cover the entire pan for this to work.) This stops
some of the moisture from steaming out the top of the pork chops
as they cook.

Also a small drizzle of EVOO after you've plated them adds a
nice touch, but won't compensate for dried-out chops.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmiOmelet" > wrote in message

> Now that I have the contact grill, it's the only way I ever cook pork
> chops.

contact grill?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Grill bone-in chops.

"bone-in chops" is a redundancy. Without the bone it's not a chop,
there's no such thing as boneless chops.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:55:36 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Relax your hand and feel the muscle area between your thumb and index
>finger...Thats the feel of raw meat...

loose, flaccid

>Now make a loose fist (just curl up your fingers) and feel that area
>again...that's about medium rare...
>
>Now make a fist ...(a tight one) feel it again...that's well done.

loose, flaccid

>Once you learn to use this to recognize how cooked your meat is ...pork
>chops and boneless/skinless chicken breast frying will be better as the
>meat will no longer get dried out due to over cooking.

loose, flaccid

>-Alan

Oh God, that means I have no room for improvement. Either that or my
skin is getting old and wrinkly

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> biig wrote:
>
> > I've been buying butterflied chops lately and always look for well
> > marbled (they are out there). Everyone else's tips on not overcooking
> > is key also. Either breaded or just seasoned and pan fried, it's very
> > possible to get a good result.....Sharon

> I never by butterflied pork chops. They charge a lot more per pound for them
> (due to labour and waste) and IMO they don't taste anywhere near as good as
> chops still on the bone.

Butterflied pork chops are on the bone... just a thick chop slpayed
open, the two halves joined at the bone. Medallions of pork loin are
not chops... if there's no bone it's not a chop.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:25:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I never by butterflied pork chops.

I never SEE butterflied pork chops. Why buy them when you can
butterfly them so easily? It's hard to believe people can be *that*
stupid.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:25:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I never by butterflied pork chops.

> I never SEE butterflied pork chops. Why buy them when you can
> butterfly them so easily? It's hard to believe people can be *that*
> stupid.

What you mean to say is you cannot understand why everyone does
not have the exact knowledge as you. But they can always come
on here and ask for insightful information to questions (which
some may think the answer is obvious) without fear of
being ridiculed or insulted, right?

> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:45:24 GMT, Bill-NWG wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:25:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I never by butterflied pork chops.

> > I never SEE butterflied pork chops. Why buy them when you can
> > butterfly them so easily? It's hard to believe people can be *that*
> > stupid.

> What you mean to say is you cannot understand why everyone does
> not have the exact knowledge as you. But they can always come
> on here and ask for insightful information to questions (which
> some may think the answer is obvious) without fear of
> being ridiculed or insulted, right?

How much knowledge does it take to split a porkchop in half
horizontally and flatten it?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:45:24 GMT, Bill-NWG wrote:

>> > I never SEE butterflied pork chops. Why buy them when you can
>> > butterfly them so easily? It's hard to believe people can be

>> *that* > stupid.
>>
>> What you mean to say is you cannot understand why everyone does
>> not have the exact knowledge as you. But they can always come
>> on here and ask for insightful information to questions (which
>> some may think the answer is obvious) without fear of
>> being ridiculed or insulted, right?
>>

> How much knowledge does it take to split a porkchop in half
> horizontally and flatten it?

Apparently one needs to attend a culinary arts school to figure it out

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> >
> > Grill bone-in chops.

> "bone-in chops" is a redundancy. Without the bone it's not a chop,
> there's no such thing as boneless chops.

Um, ok, thanks. The stores always advertize them as "bone-in chops"
though.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> How much knowledge does it take to split a porkchop in half
> horizontally and flatten it?
> --

This is a culture where there is a market for pre washed spinach and trimmed
green beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > -L. wrote:
> > >
> > > Grill bone-in chops.

> > "bone-in chops" is a redundancy. Without the bone it's not a chop,
> > there's no such thing as boneless chops.
> >

> Um, ok, thanks. The stores always advertize them as "bone-in chops"
> though.

Where do you live, Retardedville... you lie.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > I never by butterflied pork chops. They charge a lot more per pound for them
> > (due to labour and waste) and IMO they don't taste anywhere near as good as
> > chops still on the bone.

> Butterflied pork chops are on the bone... just a thick chop slpayed
> open, the two halves joined at the bone. Medallions of pork loin are
> not chops... if there's no bone it's not a chop.

How is it that an untrained home cook like myself knows that butterflied pork
chops have been cut away from the bone and an alleged professional like yourself
is under the impression that they are on the bone?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:45:24 GMT, Bill-NWG wrote:

> > > I never SEE butterflied pork chops. Why buy them when you can
> > > butterfly them so easily? It's hard to believe people can be *that*
> > > stupid.

> > What you mean to say is you cannot understand why everyone does
> > not have the exact knowledge as you. But they can always come
> > on here and ask for insightful information to questions (which
> > some may think the answer is obvious) without fear of
> > being ridiculed or insulted, right?
> >

> How much knowledge does it take to split a porkchop in half
> horizontally and flatten it?

Takes little knowlege but a grreat deal of dexterity and skill with a
sharp knife... many folks are *incapable*.

Sheldon

Pork chops Nick Cramer Diabetic 9 14-01-2009 12:49 AM
Pork chops [email protected] General Cooking 57 11-06-2007 04:22 PM
Chocolate Pork Chops (Mole Style Pork Chops) Danisha Recipes (moderated) 0 30-12-2006 02:55 AM
pork chops spednicquilting General Cooking 28 16-03-2006 06:48 PM