Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Bottom Banana Bars

Ran across this recipe while doing some searches about Nappanee, Indiana
(don't ask why I'm doing that!). This recipe is from The Homespun Country
Inn, a bed & breakfast. I haven't tried it but even to my non-sweet tastes
it sounds good!

Black Bottom Banana Bars
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup baking cocoa
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until
thoroughly combined. Blend in bananas. Combine flour, baking soda, baking
powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide batter in
half. Add cocoa to 1/2 of mix; spread into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees
for 25 minutes or until the bars test done. Cool. Freezes well.

Makes: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Ran across this recipe while doing some searches about Nappanee, Indiana
> (don't ask why I'm doing that!). This recipe is from The Homespun Country
> Inn, a bed & breakfast. I haven't tried it but even to my non-sweet tastes
> it sounds good!
>
> Black Bottom Banana Bars
> Ingredients:
> 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
> 1 egg
> 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1-1/2 cups flour
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/4 cup baking cocoa
> In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until
> thoroughly combined. Blend in bananas. Combine flour, baking soda, baking
> powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide batter in
> half. Add cocoa to 1/2 of mix; spread into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
> Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees
> for 25 minutes or until the bars test done. Cool. Freezes well.
>
> Makes: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.

ahhh, something else to use those almost over ripe bananas
in....besides a fruit and yogurt smoothie. this sounds easy enough too.

btw, jill, your broccoli soup recipe was very good. i ate it for days
and did not get sick of it! (small clue as to how much broc needed to
be used....or tossed) :-) myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Ran across this recipe while doing some searches about Nappanee, Indiana
> (don't ask why I'm doing that!). This recipe is from The Homespun Country
> Inn, a bed & breakfast. I haven't tried it but even to my non-sweet tastes
> it sounds good!
>
> Black Bottom Banana Bars
> Ingredients:
> 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
> 1 egg
> 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1-1/2 cups flour
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/4 cup baking cocoa
> In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until
> thoroughly combined. Blend in bananas. Combine flour, baking soda, baking
> powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide batter in
> half. Add cocoa to 1/2 of mix; spread into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
> Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees
> for 25 minutes or until the bars test done. Cool. Freezes well.
>
> Makes: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.

Mmm, this does sound good. Copied & printed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In the oven as I type - T minus 15 minutes and counting!
Probably the very last time I will have over-ripe bananas for the
forseeable future.
Cyclone Larry devastated our banana plantations and we are now 'looking
forward' to paying upwards of $8 kg for locally grown bananas - if we
can even get Aus grown that is!

Had to fiddle - just my nature - added ½ cup Cadbury Velvet (crushed
Flake in other words) as well as the cocoa. Results pending.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook"
www.members.optusnet.com.au/hotmetal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>
>> Ran across this recipe while doing some searches about Nappanee,
>> Indiana (don't ask why I'm doing that!). This recipe is from The
>> Homespun Country Inn, a bed & breakfast. I haven't tried it but even
>> to my non-sweet tastes it sounds good!
>>

> <recipe snipped and saved>
>

> These sound good. I might have to adjust the butter and substitute
> Splenda but it sounds good. Now, what's with Nappanee Indiana

I told you not to ask! It's just a small town John has mentioned on
numerous occasions. Quaint; a large Amish population, lots of Victorian-era
homes. The kind of place where people don't have to lock their doors at
night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
> Addendum to previous post ( number 4 response I believe)
> It's cooked! ...and cooling. Smells fabulous. Had a 'small' sample....
> This is seriously nice!
>
> Daughter (sugar addict) couldn't even wait for it to cool before
> diving in!
> Sheesh! Took such a large hunk am now trying to figure out how to
> repair the damage she has caused - may have to eat the 2 inch cavity
> x 9 inch length, that her foray into the slice resulted in.
> Heeeeheeeeheeee..... such is life.
> Have to keep the end result square don't I?
>
> LadyJane

Yay! Thank you for being the taste-tester! I figured if a B&B (in a
seriously huge gorgeous Victorian house) put the recipe on their web site
they were probably something special

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in
oups.com:

> In the oven as I type - T minus 15 minutes and counting!
> Probably the very last time I will have over-ripe bananas for the
> forseeable future.
> Cyclone Larry devastated our banana plantations and we are now 'looking
> forward' to paying upwards of $8 kg for locally grown bananas - if we
> can even get Aus grown that is!

If we run out of Aus grown bananas, we'll be totally out. Quarantine
restrictions don't allow imports of bananas at all.

Whereabouts are you and what's the current price of bananas there? I've not
been to the supermarket in the past week so I'm not sure what it is here.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Had my first taste test of the cooled product. Very, very nice.

Trying to think whether a light dusting of cocoa and icing sugar would
work better than an icing of some shape, form or description.
Probably had too much Aussie chardonnay at this point in time to give
the matter serious consideration. Will keep you all posted....but DO
think it needs some topping.... a drizzle of melted dark chocolate
perhaps?

Plenty of bars to experiment on so time will tell.

Rhonda,
We're in Brisbane - most of our bananas come from far north Qld which
was totally obliterated during Larry's passover.
Coff's Harbour still in production (thank goodness) so at least those
of us who can still afford to buy the bananas can.
At present they are $5.99 in our area - though expected to rise.
If there is enough who-ha from the buying public, they may relax the
quarantine laws and allow the Malaysian imports in. Seriously hope that
never happens.
LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
> Had my first taste test of the cooled product. Very, very nice.
>
> Trying to think whether a light dusting of cocoa and icing sugar
> would work better than an icing of some shape, form or description.
> Probably had too much Aussie chardonnay at this point in time to give
> the matter serious consideration. Will keep you all posted....but DO
> think it needs some topping.... a drizzle of melted dark chocolate
> perhaps?
>
> Plenty of bars to experiment on so time will tell.

I'd go with the drizzle of melted dark chocolate, in a nice pattern... IF
your daughter can keep her hands off the bars long enough for it to cool!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TOO LATE - NEARLY ALL GONE!

Need to find reliable method of hiding freshly baked foodstuffs BEFORE
daughter can wrap her teeth around it/them!

Was thinking along the lines of drizzled melted chocolate with a light
dusting of icing sugar (confectioner's sugar) + cocoa.

Maybe next time... hehehehe

LadyJane - desperately searching for a hiding place for remaining Black
Bottom Banana Bars!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:02:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LadyJane?

> LadyJane - desperately searching for a hiding place for remaining Black
> Bottom Banana Bars!

Tummy!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You know, and I know this is a great hiding place!

But NOT if you plan doing something
constructive/imaginative/culinaryily stupendous in the meantime!

Like the way you think though - very much! hehehehe

LJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:33:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LadyJane?

> You know, and I know this is a great hiding place!
>
> But NOT if you plan doing something
> constructive/imaginative/culinaryily stupendous in the meantime!
>
> Like the way you think though - very much! hehehehe

LOL!

I don't have to keep food away from a child, but I do have to keep it away
from our 5 cats. Our oldest two were never a problem, but our younger three
get into everything. I've taken to putting things in sealed containers and
putting behind the latched doors of the pantry. Not exactly hiding it, but
at least they can't get to it.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Daughter" in question is 21! She hs an evil twin (literally) who
trolls the kitchen in search of edibles - aka anything chocolate, high
fat, convenience food, eat-and-run type category. Needless to say have
(almost) stopped buying them. (If only to *iss him off! - substitute a
'p' for the asterisk!)

Discovered eons ago that kids won't venture into the 'vegetable
crisper' section of the refrigerator. Consequently many delicious
things were stored in the celery crisper, 2nd lettuce container,
vegetable compartments of the fridge for nearly 6 years - UNTIL THEY
CAUGHT ON! (in-laws genes, not mine. can smell delicious things at 2
metres!)
Nowadays, NO WHERE is safe. Chocolate and other yummy things have to be
hidden in our bedside cabinets! (How sad is that?)
<seriously considering installing a computerised locking device with a
'lock'/ password, so our bedroom is impervious. Trouble is I'd probably
forget the password!>
LadyJane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:02:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LadyJane?
>
> > LadyJane - desperately searching for a hiding place for remaining Black
> > Bottom Banana Bars!
> >

> Tummy!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

ROFLMAO! That was a good one, Wayne. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> Rhonda, I must apologize. I've been horrid about sending the chips
> which I promised.I have just not had the funds put aside. My fault

No need to apologise, Michael. If I don't know when to expect them they'll
be a surprise <g>. When you can, if you can, is fine.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Rhonda,
> We're in Brisbane - most of our bananas come from far north Qld which
> was totally obliterated during Larry's passover.
> Coff's Harbour still in production (thank goodness) so at least those
> of us who can still afford to buy the bananas can.
> At present they are $5.99 in our area - though expected to rise.
> If there is enough who-ha from the buying public, they may relax the
> quarantine laws and allow the Malaysian imports in. Seriously hope that
> never happens.

Don't know about Malaysian. Biosecurity Australia have been working on an
Import Risk Assessment for bananas from the Philippines since 2000. I
haven't heard anything about it for quite some time. I had a look at BA's
site and it looked like the results were leaning towards allowing imports
under extremely strict conditions relating to disease status and treatments
of fruit, but there still doesn't appear to have been anything happening
for quite some time - the last meeting reported there was in November 2005.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 03:02:28a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LadyJane?

> "Daughter" in question is 21! She hs an evil twin (literally) who
> trolls the kitchen in search of edibles - aka anything chocolate, high
> fat, convenience food, eat-and-run type category. Needless to say have
> (almost) stopped buying them. (If only to *iss him off! - substitute a
> 'p' for the asterisk!)
>
> Discovered eons ago that kids won't venture into the 'vegetable
> crisper' section of the refrigerator. Consequently many delicious
> things were stored in the celery crisper, 2nd lettuce container,
> vegetable compartments of the fridge for nearly 6 years - UNTIL THEY
> CAUGHT ON! (in-laws genes, not mine. can smell delicious things at 2
> metres!)
> Nowadays, NO WHERE is safe. Chocolate and other yummy things have to be
> hidden in our bedside cabinets! (How sad is that?)
> <seriously considering installing a computerised locking device with a
> 'lock'/ password, so our bedroom is impervious. Trouble is I'd probably
> forget the password!>
> LadyJane

Ooh, that's a tough one! Sounds like your daughter's evil twin needs some
"training". Occasionally I will hide something from SO that I bought just
for myself (selfish), and the crisper is ideal because he doesn't like
fresh vegetables or fresh fruits. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 03:45:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:02:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> LadyJane?
>>
>> > LadyJane - desperately searching for a hiding place for remaining
>> > Black Bottom Banana Bars!
>> >

>> Tummy!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> ROFLMAO! That was a good one, Wayne. :~)
>
> kili

hehehe! Best place I know. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> I've got to find a way to ship them differently. I used UPS last time
> and they were exorbitant. I'll get to it soon. I just hope before it
> gets hot Your winter is about now isn't it?
>
> Michael

Other people have just sent things to me using the normal post and it's
worked fine. Don't worry about sending them if it's going to cost too much,
though. It's autumn here now, and starting to get cooler.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia