Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default how to avoid black soot on bottom of my pan from bbq burner?

I cooked some onions yesterday in my stainless steel pan on my bbq
burner which is fueled by a propane tank. After I was done I noticed
the entire underside was covered in soot. It mostly washed off but I
was wondering if anyone has any tricks out there to avoid this mess in
the future?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Joe" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I cooked some onions yesterday in my stainless steel pan on my bbq
> burner which is fueled by a propane tank. After I was done I noticed
> the entire underside was covered in soot. It mostly washed off but I
> was wondering if anyone has any tricks out there to avoid this mess in
> the future?

Well, there's that old backpacking trick of coating the outside bottom and
sides of pots with soap. A soap solution like liquid dishwashing soap
should do it. Apply and let dry before using.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Is it possible that the burner or orifice is for natural gas, and not
LP? That would definitely cause the soot, since the flame would have too
little oxygen. I'd also check to see if the air intake for the burner
is closed, clogged with debris or possibly has a spider web inside.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I was a Scoutmaster for many many years and found Fells Naptha bar soap to
be the best for coating pots before cooking and for cleaning them after,
even if you did not coat them first. I liked to shred some with a grater,
put it in a plastic bottle with some water, and then use it after it
dissolved.

Bob
"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Is it possible that the burner or orifice is for natural gas, and not LP?
> That would definitely cause the soot, since the flame would have too
> little oxygen. I'd also check to see if the air intake for the burner is
> closed, clogged with debris or possibly has a spider web inside.
>
> Nonny
>
> Joe wrote:
>> I cooked some onions yesterday in my stainless steel pan on my bbq
>> burner which is fueled by a propane tank. After I was done I noticed
>> the entire underside was covered in soot. It mostly washed off but I
>> was wondering if anyone has any tricks out there to avoid this mess in
>> the future?
>>

> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
> For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
> And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Joe" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I cooked some onions yesterday in my stainless steel pan on my bbq
> burner which is fueled by a propane tank. After I was done I noticed
> the entire underside was covered in soot. It mostly washed off but I
> was wondering if anyone has any tricks out there to avoid this mess in
> the future?

Adjust the air intake. You are running a bit too rich.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 25, 9:38 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Joe" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I cooked some onions yesterday in my stainless steel pan on my bbq
> > burner which is fueled by a propane tank. After I was done I noticed
> > the entire underside was covered in soot. It mostly washed off but I
> > was wondering if anyone has any tricks out there to avoid this mess in
> > the future?

> Adjust the air intake. You are running a bit too rich.

I take the easy way out and SilverCoat the bottom of pans for the
grill with aluminum foil. Works like a charm!!
Nanzi