Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which type of meat thermometer should one buy?

We had one - it was one with a small dial on the end of a probe. It
worked fine for a short time but then packed-in. Clearly we hadn't
spent enough!

So we are now about to buy a better quality thermometer (hopefully),
but I'm bemused by the variety now on offer.

1. Firstly there are those similer to the one we had - a skewer with a
dial at the end - but in better quality.

2. Then there are some where the probe stays in the meat in the oven
and a wire trails from the oven to a digital read-out (sometimes with
an alarm when the set temperature has been reached)

3. Finally there are types similar to #2 but where the information is
conveyed not by a wire but remotely.

Certainly the idea of 2 and 3 seems to be preferable (no opening the
oven and getting at the joint). The price for these in the UK seems
to be something a little over £20 ($30+). But the big question is are
they reliable or are they just gimmicky.

I've not been able to find a review of these things anywhere so if
anybody has any good/bad experiences I'd be grateful to hear of them.
I can then go to the local cookshop better prepared!

Thanks

Derek

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

----

We use a Polder and a Polder-type probe thermometer. The Polder has been
dropped, it's cracked, it's ugly, it's sticky, but it's accurate and works
like a charm.

I've heard good and bad things about the remote thermometers, but I really
don't see the need. The Polder will beep when you get to the proper
temperature, so why bother with remote?

We also use a digital instant read thermometer, and it works, but keep in
mind, you'll get different readings depending upon what part of the meat
you're inserting the metal probe. (Dirty minds, please don't go *there*.)
<g>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

>2. Then there are some where the probe stays in the meat in the oven
>and a wire trails from the oven to a digital read-out (sometimes with
>an alarm when the set temperature has been reached)

I bought this as a little Christmas gift, a Polder. Honestly, I
had no idea what a great thing this is. If it broke tomorrow I
would be ordering a new one forthwith.

I have heard that the probes sometimes break, you can order
new ones. Me, I don't leave it where it gets banged around, it
hasn't given me any problems.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> >2. Then there are some where the probe stays in the meat in the oven
> >and a wire trails from the oven to a digital read-out (sometimes with
> >an alarm when the set temperature has been reached)

> I bought this as a little Christmas gift, a Polder. Honestly, I
> had no idea what a great thing this is. If it broke tomorrow I
> would be ordering a new one forthwith.
>
> I have heard that the probes sometimes break, you can order
> new ones. Me, I don't leave it where it gets banged around, it
> hasn't given me any problems.
>
> nancy

Nance, my hubby has had his Polder for, gosh, about 10 years. As I said in
a previous post; it's cracked, it's stained, it's sticky, it's horrendous
looking, but it works like a charm. He's never had to replace the probe.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I have heard that the probes sometimes break, you can order
>> new ones. Me, I don't leave it where it gets banged around, it
>> hasn't given me any problems.

> Nance, my hubby has had his Polder for, gosh, about 10 years. As I said
> in
> a previous post; it's cracked, it's stained, it's sticky, it's horrendous
> looking, but it works like a charm. He's never had to replace the probe.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't baby it or anything, but I don't leave it
rattling around the utensil drawer, either. Very pleased with the
thing.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>1. Firstly there are those similer to the one we had - a skewer with a
dial at the end - but in better quality. <<

I recently replaced my dial one with a digital instant one that can be
switched off/on and F/C. It's good. Because it is (almost) instant,
you can use it for many items in one session. The range is wide enough
to take in everything but hard crack. It's just as useful to check
whether something is cool enough as hot enough. I prefer having one
that I can check on milk for yoghurt while the roast is roasting and
just wash the probe between uses.
It also makes it possible to do temps for recipes from sources other
than the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> We had one - it was one with a small dial on the end of a probe. It
> worked fine for a short time but then packed-in. Clearly we hadn't
> spent enough!
>
> So we are now about to buy a better quality thermometer (hopefully),
> but I'm bemused by the variety now on offer.
>
> 1. Firstly there are those similer to the one we had - a skewer with a
> dial at the end - but in better quality.
>
> 2. Then there are some where the probe stays in the meat in the oven
> and a wire trails from the oven to a digital read-out (sometimes with
> an alarm when the set temperature has been reached)
>
> 3. Finally there are types similar to #2 but where the information is
> conveyed not by a wire but remotely.
>
> Certainly the idea of 2 and 3 seems to be preferable (no opening the
> oven and getting at the joint). The price for these in the UK seems
> to be something a little over £20 ($30+). But the big question is are
> they reliable or are they just gimmicky.
>
> I've not been able to find a review of these things anywhere so if
> anybody has any good/bad experiences I'd be grateful to hear of them.
> I can then go to the local cookshop better prepared!
>
> Thanks
>
> Derek

They tested them some time ago on Americ's Test Kitchen. They liked the
instant read for the same reasons others mentioned here.I can't
remember the brand, might have been the Polder. But it was an ugly gray
one,digital readout of course, if that helps! They still give it a plug
when they use it from time to time. Runs about $60.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My grateful thanks to everybody that replied. It would appear that
version #2 seems to be the popular choice - and within that the Polder
has come in for great praise.

Unfortunately this is not a make that is known here in the UK (although
one needs to accept that Polders themselves might 'buy it in' and here
it could be known by another Kitchen supplier's name)

However, we have a friend currently in Texas who will be coming to the
UK in three weeks' time so I'm asking here if she can accommodate one
additional small item in her luggage.

Once again my thanks to you all

Derek
(Oxshott, Surrey, UK)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOB BOB is offline

:
[...]

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...tpen_home.html

Yep, it's a little expensive, but well worth the price.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List