Default Thermometer for grill and meat

I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
good quality digital meat thermometer and a replacement for the grill
thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller. Which ones are
recommended? Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed? Thanks for
your time and help!

Jim

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
> good quality digital meat thermometer

Any kitchen store will have them for about $10 to $15

> and a replacement for the grill
> thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller.

Why? What you have is close enough.

> Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
> gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed?

Yes, and contact with the very hot grates can damage it also. Find a spot
that does not get crimped. I've ruined a hald dozen over the years.

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
> good quality digital meat thermometer

Any kitchen store will have them for about $10 to $15

> and a replacement for the grill
> thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller.

Why? What you have is close enough.

> Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
> gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed?

Yes, and contact with the very hot grates can damage it also. Find a spot
that does not get crimped. I've ruined a hald dozen over the years.

Duwop

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

> >I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
> > good quality digital meat thermometer

> Any kitchen store will have them for about $10 to $15
>

> > and a replacement for the grill
> > thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller.

> Why? What you have is close enough.

Well, if it's anything like mine sometimes it's 50F low, sometimes 25F high.
But that's ok by me, just use it as a coarse indicator of up or down if I
look at it at all. So I guess I agree with Ed, close enough. But if you're
gonna get a remote probe get two, one for the meat and one for grill level
temps. That's the only way to find hot and cool spots in your cooker too.
The lid one sure can't.

Rarely use a thermometer on meat except with big pieces like pork butt or
turkey.

Whatever you do, don't get the "Brookstone" remote one. A Polder (google it)
or something similar will do ya good.

> > Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
> > gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed?

> Yes, and contact with the very hot grates can damage it also. Find a spot
> that does not get crimped. I've ruined a hald dozen over the years.

I've been lucky, the lid on this isnt that tight so the crimping isnt an
issue as long as you pay attention and stick the probe in an onion or potato
or piece of cork to keep it off the grill.

Dale

Duwop

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

> >I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
> > good quality digital meat thermometer

> Any kitchen store will have them for about $10 to $15
>

> > and a replacement for the grill
> > thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller.

> Why? What you have is close enough.

Well, if it's anything like mine sometimes it's 50F low, sometimes 25F high.
But that's ok by me, just use it as a coarse indicator of up or down if I
look at it at all. So I guess I agree with Ed, close enough. But if you're
gonna get a remote probe get two, one for the meat and one for grill level
temps. That's the only way to find hot and cool spots in your cooker too.
The lid one sure can't.

Rarely use a thermometer on meat except with big pieces like pork butt or
turkey.

Whatever you do, don't get the "Brookstone" remote one. A Polder (google it)
or something similar will do ya good.

> > Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
> > gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed?

> Yes, and contact with the very hot grates can damage it also. Find a spot
> that does not get crimped. I've ruined a hald dozen over the years.

I've been lucky, the lid on this isnt that tight so the crimping isnt an
issue as long as you pay attention and stick the probe in an onion or potato
or piece of cork to keep it off the grill.

Dale

adm

"Duwop" > wrote in message
news
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> >I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
>> > good quality digital meat thermometer

>> Any kitchen store will have them for about $10 to $15
>>

>> > and a replacement for the grill
>> > thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller.

>> Why? What you have is close enough.

> Well, if it's anything like mine sometimes it's 50F low, sometimes 25F
> high.
> But that's ok by me, just use it as a coarse indicator of up or down if I
> look at it at all. So I guess I agree with Ed, close enough. But if you're
> gonna get a remote probe get two, one for the meat and one for grill level
> temps. That's the only way to find hot and cool spots in your cooker too.
> The lid one sure can't.
>
> Rarely use a thermometer on meat except with big pieces like pork butt or
> turkey.
>
> Whatever you do, don't get the "Brookstone" remote one. A Polder (google
> it)
> or something similar will do ya good.

The Maverick dual probe one is good though ! One probe for the meat, and
another for the cooking chamber.

>> > Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
>> > gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed?

>> Yes, and contact with the very hot grates can damage it also. Find a
>> spot
>> that does not get crimped. I've ruined a hald dozen over the years.

> I've been lucky, the lid on this isnt that tight so the crimping isnt an
> issue as long as you pay attention and stick the probe in an onion or
> potato
> or piece of cork to keep it off the grill.

The maverick one comes with a nifty little clip that you can use to hold the
probe at grill height without having to resort to the onion method. The
wires are steel braid coated as well and don't mind having a grill lid
sitting on them either.

cc0112453

http://www.pigroast.com/
Try the above link. They have one on sale for $39. A bit over the top for
your CharGriller but it's a good one. Also concerning the cable to your
temp probe. I don't know if you have a drain on the bottom but that is
where I ran mine. You can also run it down the smoke stack if the lead is
long enough. Before I figured out that I could run it through the drain I
was going to just drill a hole some where. Near the bottom preferably. I
also was going to make a special bolt to fit the hole that would have a slot
cut in it length wise. That would allow me to have a hole large enough to
get the probe head itself through the drilled out hole, slip the lead
through the slot in the bolt and then screw the bolt into the hole. But
like I said, I didn't have to do any of that. Another idea I had was to cut
a slot on the edge of the rim of the opening but that would be the same as
drilling a hole and I think a hole would be preferable as it would not mess
with the integrity of the unit.

Doug
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently purchased a Char-Griller Super-Pro, and am looking for a
> good quality digital meat thermometer and a replacement for the grill
> thermometer that comes with the Char-Griller. Which ones are
> recommended? Also- is it a problem if the cable on the meat thermometer
> gets "crimped" by the lid on the grill when it is closed? Thanks for
> your time and help!
>
> Jim

adm

"cc0112453" > wrote in message
news
> http://www.pigroast.com/
> Try the above link. They have one on sale for $39. A bit over the top
> for your CharGriller but it's a good one. Also concerning the cable to
> your temp probe. I don't know if you have a drain on the bottom but that
> is where I ran mine. You can also run it down the smoke stack if the lead
> is long enough. Before I figured out that I could run it through the
> drain I was going to just drill a hole some where. Near the bottom
> preferably. I also was going to make a special bolt to fit the hole that
> would have a slot cut in it length wise. That would allow me to have a
> hole large enough to get the probe head itself through the drilled out
> hole, slip the lead through the slot in the bolt and then screw the bolt
> into the hole. But like I said, I didn't have to do any of that. Another
> idea I had was to cut a slot on the edge of the rim of the opening but
> that would be the same as drilling a hole and I think a hole would be
> preferable as it would not mess with the integrity of the unit.

On a WSM, you can remove one of the bolts that supports the upper cooking
grate and then run a temp probe leade straight through that. If you were
obsessive, you could replace that screw with a bit of hollow threaded rod
and then run the wire through that....

Thanks, everyone for the information! It is appreciated!

Jim

Paratwa

On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:03:35 +0100, "adm" > wrote:

>"cc0112453" > wrote in message
>news
>> http://www.pigroast.com/
>> Try the above link. They have one on sale for $39. A bit over the top
>> for your CharGriller but it's a good one. Also concerning the cable to
>> your temp probe. I don't know if you have a drain on the bottom but that
>> is where I ran mine. You can also run it down the smoke stack if the lead
>> is long enough. Before I figured out that I could run it through the
>> drain I was going to just drill a hole some where. Near the bottom
>> preferably. I also was going to make a special bolt to fit the hole that
>> would have a slot cut in it length wise. That would allow me to have a
>> hole large enough to get the probe head itself through the drilled out
>> hole, slip the lead through the slot in the bolt and then screw the bolt
>> into the hole. But like I said, I didn't have to do any of that. Another
>> idea I had was to cut a slot on the edge of the rim of the opening but
>> that would be the same as drilling a hole and I think a hole would be
>> preferable as it would not mess with the integrity of the unit.

>On a WSM, you can remove one of the bolts that supports the upper cooking
>grate and then run a temp probe leade straight through that. If you were
>obsessive, you could replace that screw with a bit of hollow threaded rod
>and then run the wire through that....

I just got a Maverick and thought the WSM door was so loose I'd run it
through there. Haven't tried it yet as I hoped to fiddle with it this
weekend.