Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade?

In article .com>,
"aspley" > wrote:

> I made really tasty lemon marmalade - with just a bit of pink
> grapefruit for sweetness
> It has set but there is still liquid lying on top
> Do you know what I've done wrong?
> Too much sugar do you think? I put in extra in case it was bitter
> It really has set
> Should I tip it all back in the pan and add pectin?
>
> Aspley

Look up "syneresis," but do it from the search page at
www.uga.edu/nchfp (search link is on the left). Use the top search
window and type in the word syneresis.

Why would you add pectin? That's for the set. And you've got that in
spades, sounds like. Good luck. (It's not harmful, by the way.)

--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!