Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electric Smoker

I spent a fair amount of time evaluating meat smokers and trying to
decide between the Cookshack SM008 and the SmokinTex 1300. My
evaluation between these two smokers seemed like a wash. I even
thought about building one since there really isn't much to a smoker.

In the end, I wasn't sure that I needed something this expensive, and
the stainless steel models seemed like overkill. Smoking meat was
going to be an experiment and I wanted to start small and see if I
would stick with it.

It as then that I discovered the knock-off/clone model from Gordon.

Here is my comparison of these three thermostatically controlled
smokers.

Model: Cookshack SM008, Black
Dimensions: 16.5"x 19" x 24" high
Made: US
Watts: 500
Capacity: 30 lbs
Cost: $465
Cold Plate: $45.95
Shipping: $10
Total: $521

Model: Smokin Tex #1300, Green
Dimensions: W=17½" x D=21" x H=29"
Made: China
Watts: 700
Capacity: 33 lbs
Cost: $474
Cold Plate: $46.50
Shipping: Free
Total: $520.50

Model: Gordon #90898, Periwinkle
Dimensions: 17-3/16'' W x 21'' D x 25-1/16'' H
Made: India
Watts: 800
Capacity: 20 lbs
Cost: $249
Cold Plate: Free
Shipping: $10
Total: $259

I smoked a butt for the Superbowl in 30 degree temperatures and it came
out beautifully! I'm very happy with this low-end smoker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We got one at the farm supply store- but you can pick one up at Walmart
for under $100. It's wonderful, it is great for salmon, goose is good
marinated in sweetened whine first, steaks, onions, it's all great in a
smoker!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Donald Martinich wrote:

> What are the realistic temperature ranges for these smokers? I like to
> do some cold-smoking and where I live we have mild nighttime temps. If
> you get much over 100F. in the smoker the fat starts to melt.
>
> D.M.

For which smokers? The original post mentioned the Gordon, Smokintex, and
Cookshack units.

Those are all insulated, thermostat controlled electric oven type smokers,
which are all terrible for cold smoking. Insulation is the last thing
you want when cold smoking.

Better to use something non-insulated that will readily dissipate heat.
Separate chambers for firebox and product also helps keep the temp
down. I use a smoke generator hooked up to some custom cabinets.

<http://sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17>

Bradley also makes a smoke generator.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

For the same money you spent, you could have got a better smoker in Stainless!

http://tinyurl.com/q3qbz