Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gingerholic drool

How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?

The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
sweet with no sugar.

I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.

Oops - have to mop the keyboard.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
> mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
> crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?
>
> The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> sweet with no sugar.
>
> I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
> ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.
>
> Oops - have to mop the keyboard.
>
> David

mmm baby ginger..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
> mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
> crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?
>
> The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> sweet with no sugar.
>
> I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
> ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.
>
> Oops - have to mop the keyboard.
>
> David

currently I really only have access to the crappy fibery stuff, een at the
asian market.

I hope that changes soon.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

have you ever made ginger beer. It's a hot and spicy ginger drink that
is supposed to be quite refreshing.

It has top sit in the sun for a day or 2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
> mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
> crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?

When it's wrinkly, it's OLD. Mine isn't wrinkly when I buy it, but
when it sits for too long, it becomes that way. I peel it with a sharp
knife and put it in my garlic press. It's a tough push, but it gives
my triceps a workout. Then you can scrape off some of the pulp into
your dish off of the outside of the press.

> The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> sweet with no sugar.

I've never had ginger that color nor skin that is like yours in
texture.

> I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
> ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.

I use ginger for nausea in capsules or ginger chews from Trader Joes.
I love it in Thai food too.

> Oops - have to mop the keyboard.
>
> David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

> David Hare-Scott wrote:
>
>>How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
>>mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
>>crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?

> When it's wrinkly, it's OLD. Mine isn't wrinkly when I buy it, but
> when it sits for too long, it becomes that way.

Same here. But I recently discovered that It freezes really well AND can
be used straight from the freezer (easier to chop even when frozen). So
now, when the skin isn't tough, I freeze it unpeeled right after buying
it. And use it as needed from the freezer.

I peel it with a sharp
> knife and put it in my garlic press. It's a tough push, but it gives
> my triceps a workout. Then you can scrape off some of the pulp into
> your dish off of the outside of the press.
>
>>The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
>>pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
>>is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
>>The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
>>sweet with no sugar.

> I've never had ginger that color nor skin that is like yours in
> texture.
>
>>I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
>>ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.

> I use ginger for nausea in capsules or ginger chews from Trader Joes.
> I love it in Thai food too.
>
>>Oops - have to mop the keyboard.
>>
>>David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

>when it sits for too long, it becomes that way. I peel it with a sharp
>knife and put it in my garlic press. It's a tough push, but it gives
>my triceps a workout. Then you can scrape off some of the pulp into
>your dish off of the outside of the press.

You can buy nifty little bamboo ginger graters from Asian shops - I
think they're Japanese. I grate ginger on a microplane grater which is
really easy.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"tofuqueen" > wrote:

> David Hare-Scott wrote:

> > The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> > pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> > is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> > The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> > sweet with no sugar.

> I've never had ginger that color nor skin that is like yours in
> texture.

It's obviously still pretty young. Ginger only goes brown on the
outside and fibrous once it's fully mature.

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> tofuqueen wrote:
>
> >when it sits for too long, it becomes that way. I peel it with a sharp
> >knife and put it in my garlic press. It's a tough push, but it gives
> >my triceps a workout. Then you can scrape off some of the pulp into
> >your dish off of the outside of the press.
> >

> You can buy nifty little bamboo ginger graters from Asian shops - I
> think they're Japanese. I grate ginger on a microplane grater which is
> really easy.
>
> Christine

I use a box grater and use the fine size.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

honey and lime wrote:
> have you ever made ginger beer. It's a hot and spicy ginger drink that
> is supposed to be quite refreshing.
>
> It has top sit in the sun for a day or 2

mmm great idea.. only ever tried can ones.

...light ginger syrup with tofu fa :-d

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 08:24:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmeOmelet?

> In article
> >,
> Old Mother Ashby > wrote:
>
>> tofuqueen wrote:
>>
>> >when it sits for too long, it becomes that way. I peel it with a sharp
>> >knife and put it in my garlic press. It's a tough push, but it gives
>> >my triceps a workout. Then you can scrape off some of the pulp into
>> >your dish off of the outside of the press.
>> >

>> You can buy nifty little bamboo ginger graters from Asian shops - I
>> think they're Japanese. I grate ginger on a microplane grater which is
>> really easy.
>>
>> Christine

> I use a box grater and use the fine size.

I use a porcelain ginger grater like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/k2p45

It nicely produces juice and non-fibrous pulp.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>On Fri 17 Mar 2006 08:24:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>OmManiPadmeOmelet?
>

>>In article
>,
>> Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

>>>You can buy nifty little bamboo ginger graters from Asian shops - I
>>>think they're Japanese. I grate ginger on a microplane grater which is
>>>really easy.
>>>
>>>Christine
>>>

>>I use a box grater and use the fine size.
>>

>I use a porcelain ginger grater like this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/k2p45
>
>It nicely produces juice and non-fibrous pulp.

Very neat. That's what the bamboo ones look like, with the little spikes.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:

>honey and lime wrote:
>

>>have you ever made ginger beer. It's a hot and spicy ginger drink that
>>is supposed to be quite refreshing.
>>
>>It has top sit in the sun for a day or 2
>>

>mmm great idea.. only ever tried can ones.
>
>..light ginger syrup with tofu fa :-d

Home made ginger beer was all the rage when I was in my early teens. The
brewers were usually boys, I think because of the inherent danger. There
was a slight problem that if you didn't get the recipe right the bottles
exploded! Anybody attempting ginger beer had parental orders to store
the stuff in the woodshed.

My brother tried it once. His problem was that he tried to improve the
recipe by increasing the quantity of ginger, and it was undrinkable.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ginger Beer - was Gingerholic drool

I thought it might be an idea to provide a couple of recipes. I don't
guarantee either of them.. The first one I found on the net, courtesy of
somebody called The Green Man, and it is an example of traditional
technique using a ginger beer plant (it's a bit like making yoghurt or
sourdough bread).

In a jar place 8 sultanas, juice of two lemons, 1 teaspoon of lemon
pulp, 4 teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, 2 cups of cold
water. Cover lightly with a cloth.

leave for 3 or 4 days in warm weather when it should be starting to
ferment. Then each day for a week ass 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 4
teaspoons of sugar to the plant. It should be ready at the end of the
week to make into beer.

To make the ginger beer

Place 4 cups of sugar into a very large bowl and add 4 cups of boiling
water. Add the juice of four lemons. Strain the liquid from the plant by
passing it through muslin or other fine cloth. Squeeze the plant dry and
reserve dry material. Add 28 cups of cold water to the bowl, then add
the liquid you extracted from the plant.

Mix and bottle in air tight bottles. You can use old beer bottles or
bottles with screw tops. Store in a cool dark place for at least 2
weeks. Makes approximately 10 bottles.

Keeping the plant alive

Halve the plant in the cloth and place it back in the jar with 2 cups of
cold water. Continue feeding with 4 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons
of ginger for one week. Then you are ready to make your next batch of beer.

The second recipe is out of my trusty PWMU Cookbook. It makes a very
large quantity and requires a container more like bath than a bowl! But
it uses a different method. I suspect that there are dozens of slightly
different recipes out there and people swear by their family favourites.

2 lemons
2 1/2 cups (625g) sugar
25g fresh ginger, bruised
i tsp cream of tartar
24 cups (6 litres) boiling water
1 tbsp (30g) brewer's yeast

Pare lemons as thinly as possible, strip off every particle of white
pith, cut lemons into thin slices, removing pips. Put sliced lemon into
earthenware bowl with ginger, sugar and cream of tartar, and pour in
boiling water. Allow to stand till lukewarm, then stir in yeast and
leave in warm place for 24 hours. Skim yeast off top, strain liquid
carefully, bottle, tie down corks securely, and in 2 days it will be
ready for use.

They are dead serious about securing the corks.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 09:11:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Old Mother
Ashby?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>On Fri 17 Mar 2006 08:24:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>OmManiPadmeOmelet?
>>

>>>In article
>,

>>>I use a box grater and use the fine size.
>>>

>>I use a porcelain ginger grater like this one:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/k2p45
>>
>>It nicely produces juice and non-fibrous pulp.
>>

> Very neat. That's what the bamboo ones look like, with the little
> spikes.
>
> Christine

Just took a look at a bamboo one. That's neat, too. As hard as bamboo
is, I imagine the spikes remain sharp.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When it's wrinkly, it's OLD. Mine isn't wrinkly when I buy it, but
> when it sits for too long, it becomes that way. I peel it with a sharp
> knife and put it in my garlic press.

I store mine covered in sherry in a jar in the fridge. It never
wrinkles that way, or gets that lovely blue-green mold.

Nobody's mentioned candied ginger for desert. I would guess it would
settle the stomach as well. I've never made it myself, but buy the big
slabs of candied ginger, not the diced pieces that are as much sugar as
ginger.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message

> > The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> > pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the

texture
> > is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> > The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh

and
> > sweet with no sugar.

> I've never had ginger that color nor skin that is like yours in
> texture.

Ginger is grown here in subtropical Queensland. When it is harvested at
this time of year (late summer-early autumn) you get the finest eating and
cooking ginger. If harvested latter (June-August) it is hotter and the skin
is thicker, this harvest is apparently used for ground and other processed
ginger products. Perhaps you could find out where your supply is grown and
see if they have a harvest at the equivalent time, and the target that.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've never had ginger that color nor skin that is like yours in
> texture.

A pic (the left hand pane)

http://www.buderimginger.com/consume...r/the_crop.asp

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> How is the fresh ginger that you generally buy? Is it brown and wrinkly,
> mostly you have to peel it, and inside are fibres that you have to cut
> crosswise or pull out? If you shred it do you get any juice?
>
> The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> sweet with no sugar.
>
> I am having a dinner party soon - I think I will serve something with
> ginger - and more ginger on top for added depth.
>
> Oops - have to mop the keyboard.
>
> David

ginger pics: http://www.foodsubs.com/Ginger.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> [snip]
> The new season's ginger has arrived here. It's a pale yellow-green with
> pink on the edges. The skin is almost transparent and rubs off, the texture
> is like a fresh firm apple, only finer grained, and the juice drips out.
> The aroma is just wonderful. The flavour is pungent without being harsh and
> sweet with no sugar. [snip]

Lucky you. There doesn't seem to be a season at the stores I go to,
but now and then some will show up as good as you describe. When it
does, I make Ginger Beef.

Thinly slice good beef -- NY strip is a good cut for this special dish.
Thinly slice white onions. Thinly slice a lot more ginger than you'd
normally use -- think of it as an ingredient, not just a flavoring.
Marinate the beef in soy and rice wine (or dry sherry) while you
stirfry the onions and some of the ginger in peanut oil in a hot
pan/wok. Add the rest of the ginger when the onions are about a minute
away from being done to the point you like them. Then turn the heat up
to its highest setting and add the beef. Stirfry just until beef is
barely done -- it does not have to be brown on all sides. That's it.
Add a tiny bit more soy and wine only if the dish is dry.

The alternative is to skip the onions. Use a bunch of scallions
instead, sliced about 1" long. Heat pan and oil on high, add ginger,
then beef, then scallions. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:55:24 +0100, jake >
wrote:

>But I recently discovered that It freezes really well AND can
>be used straight from the freezer (easier to chop even when frozen). So
>now, when the skin isn't tough, I freeze it unpeeled right after buying
>it. And use it as needed from the freezer.

This is good to know!

I've gotten in the habit of picking up a small chunk every time I'm in
the grocery store. The stuff I get here isn't bad - nice and juicy and
no brown spots. But if I leave it in the fridge for longer than a week
it starts to suffer.

Do you grate it or chop it? I can't use ginger chopped/sliced because
my husband doesn't like it, and can taste it when it's in chunks. I
only grate it.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:55:24 +0100, jake >
> wrote:
>

>>But I recently discovered that It freezes really well AND can
>>be used straight from the freezer (easier to chop even when frozen). So
>>now, when the skin isn't tough, I freeze it unpeeled right after buying
>>it. And use it as needed from the freezer.

> This is good to know!
>
> I've gotten in the habit of picking up a small chunk every time I'm in
> the grocery store. The stuff I get here isn't bad - nice and juicy and
> no brown spots. But if I leave it in the fridge for longer than a week
> it starts to suffer.
>
> Do you grate it or chop it? I can't use ginger chopped/sliced because
> my husband doesn't like it, and can taste it when it's in chunks. I
> only grate it.

I do both, it depends on the dish.