Posted to rec.food.cooking
GWS GWS is offline

Default We apologize

Today my minor son posted a chain letter that was forwarded to him
involving placing 6 $1 bills in sealed envelopes and mailing them to
six of your friends. This posting was done without my review. Though
I am not an attorney, it appears this is form of a pyramid scheme and
is certainly illegal. Please accept our apologies for this posting.
I would strongly advise to not get involved in such a "get rich
quick" scheme.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GWS" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Today my minor son posted a chain letter that was forwarded to him
> involving placing 6 $1 bills in sealed envelopes and mailing them
> to six of your friends. This posting was done without my review.
> Though I am not an attorney, it appears this is form of a pyramid
> scheme and is certainly illegal. Please accept our apologies for
> this posting. I would strongly advise to not get involved in such
> a "get rich quick" scheme.

Darn, and here I thought I had my retirement all sewn up :-(

:-)

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "GWS" > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>
>>> Today my minor son posted a chain letter that was forwarded to him
>>> involving placing 6 $1 bills in sealed envelopes and mailing them
>>> to six of your friends. This posting was done without my review.
>>> Though I am not an attorney, it appears this is form of a pyramid
>>> scheme and is certainly illegal. Please accept our apologies for
>>> this posting. I would strongly advise to not get involved in such
>>> a "get rich quick" scheme.

>> Darn, and here I thought I had my retirement all sewn up :-(
>>
>> :-)
>>

> Yes, I thought I was going to be able to supplement my 401k. Guess I
> better invest more money in it, huh?

Steam off the stamps, quick!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:07:53 -0800, GWS wrote:

> Today my minor son posted a chain letter that was forwarded to him
> involving placing 6 $1 bills in sealed envelopes and mailing them to
> six of your friends. This posting was done without my review. Though
> I am not an attorney, it appears this is form of a pyramid scheme and
> is certainly illegal. Please accept our apologies for this posting.
> I would strongly advise to not get involved in such a "get rich
> quick" scheme.

Assuming you are not a troll.. hats off to you! Parents that watch
closely what their children are doing are in the minority...not thinking
that many here signed up besides me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GWS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Today my minor son posted a chain letter that was forwarded to him
> involving placing 6 $1 bills in sealed envelopes and mailing them to
> six of your friends. This posting was done without my review. Though
> I am not an attorney, it appears this is form of a pyramid scheme and
> is certainly illegal. Please accept our apologies for this posting.
> I would strongly advise to not get involved in such a "get rich
> quick" scheme.

Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a responsible
parent.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a responsible
> parent.

It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
in this thread, only responses.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
>> Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a responsible
>> parent.

> It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
> in this thread, only responses.
>
> nancy

The gremlins are at work again?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
>> in this thread, only responses.

> The gremlins are at work again?

I don't know. I don't see anything obvious that would make them
land in my circular file. Just makes me wonder.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
> > Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a
> > responsible parent.

> It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
> in this thread, only responses.

In almost all newsgroups I've read, I've seen answers arriving long
before the questions.

Ironically, I haven't seen this in alt.time-travel or
alt.sci.time-travel.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
>>> in this thread, only responses.

>> The gremlins are at work again?

> I don't know. I don't see anything obvious that would make them
> land in my circular file. Just makes me wonder.
>
> nancy

I replied because I had read a posting with an 'offer' like that in the
last couple of days. But I can't find it in this newsgroup. I must have
seen it elsewhere. The only offers I can find now are the Paypal ones.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:30:09 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
> >
> >> Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a responsible
> >> parent.

> > It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
> > in this thread, only responses.
> >
> > nancy

> The gremlins are at work again?

No, trolls

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Darn, and here I thought I had my retirement all sewn up :-(
>>
>> :-)
>>

> Yes, I thought I was going to be able to supplement my 401k. Guess I
> better invest more money in it, huh?

Sorry, no idea what a 401K is. Is it anything like an RSP (Retirement
Savings Plan)? And if it is, why don't they call it that? :-)

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote

> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote

>> Yes, I thought I was going to be able to supplement my 401k. Guess I
>> better invest more money in it, huh?

> Sorry, no idea what a 401K is. Is it anything like an RSP (Retirement
> Savings Plan)? And if it is, why don't they call it that? :-)

It's the number of the bill that created it, and Retirement Savings
Plan would not differentiate it from, say, IRAs, etc.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>>> Darn, and here I thought I had my retirement all sewn up :-(
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>

>> Yes, I thought I was going to be able to supplement my 401k. Guess I
>> better invest more money in it, huh?

> Sorry, no idea what a 401K is. Is it anything like an RSP (Retirement
> Savings Plan)? And if it is, why don't they call it that? :-)

A 401(k) is an employer-sponsored matching funds (generally) program to add
to retirement funds on a pre-tax basis. If you leave the employment you can
choose to receive the total cash distribution, less taxes, or roll it over
into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). It's actually a separate thing
from a Retirement Plan. The U.S. is awash in these varying savings plans.
Mutual funds investments, straight stock, etc. There are different types of
IRA's; some pre-tax, some post-tax. There are also laws regulating when you
can add cash contributions.

As for why they don't call it the same thing, it depends on the U.S. laws
and what they choose to call them. Makes too much sense to call them all
the same thing

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in
>> oups.com:

>>> Yes, I thought I was going to be able to supplement my 401k. Guess I
>>> better invest more money in it, huh?

>> Sorry, no idea what a 401K is. Is it anything like an RSP (Retirement
>> Savings Plan)? And if it is, why don't they call it that? :-)

> A 401(k) is an employer-sponsored matching funds (generally) program to
> add
> to retirement funds on a pre-tax basis. If you leave the employment you
> can
> choose to receive the total cash distribution, less taxes, or roll it over
> into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). It's actually a separate
> thing
> from a Retirement Plan. The U.S. is awash in these varying savings plans.
> Mutual funds investments, straight stock, etc. There are different types
> of
> IRA's; some pre-tax, some post-tax. There are also laws regulating when
> you
> can add cash contributions.

Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage of
your income? Like Michel, I'm in Canada. The company DH works for allows
employees to chose from 3 levels of contributions. IIRC, 1, 2 or 3% of
employees' wages can be invested in their pension plan, with the company
matching the amounts. The same options (return of contributions or
roll-over into an RRSP) are available if employee leaves/is laid off before
reaching pension eligibility.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gabby" > wrote

> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage
> of your income?

Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income, and
the company can match all of it or none of it. The company
I worked for matched dollar for dollar, towards the end they
went to the more standard 50 cents on the dollar.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Gabby" > wrote
>
>> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set
>> percentage of your income?

> Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income, and
> the company can match all of it or none of it. The company
> I worked for matched dollar for dollar, towards the end they
> went to the more standard 50 cents on the dollar.
>
> nancy

Yep, up to 6% of your income and my former employer matched 100% of that.
After 5 years you have a fully vested interest in the employer matching
funds so if you leave, their money is also your money.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Gabby" > wrote
>
>> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage
>> of your income?

> Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income, and
> the company can match all of it or none of it. The company
> I worked for matched dollar for dollar, towards the end they
> went to the more standard 50 cents on the dollar.
>
> nancy

I put 20% of my pre tax income into my 403b plan, but my employer only
matches the first 5%.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gabby a écrit :

> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage of
> your income? Like Michel, I'm in Canada. The company DH works for allows
> employees to chose from 3 levels of contributions. IIRC, 1, 2 or 3% of
> employees' wages can be invested in their pension plan, with the company
> matching the amounts. The same options (return of contributions or
> roll-over into an RRSP) are available if employee leaves/is laid off before
> reaching pension eligibility.

In Canada, for contributions to the federal employees' superannuation
plan (your actual retirement fund if you work within the federal
government) the contribution is fixed. An RRSP is over and above the
superannuation plan and the amount is dependent upon a calculation on
your tax return for the previous year. We also have the CPP (Canada
Pension Plan) which is a default monthly retirement payment to anyone
who reaches age 65. This amount can be subject to refund in part or in
whole in quarterly tax payments if your income from other sources is
too high, as my mother's was.

The amount eligible for RRSPs has increased considerably in the last
year, as I was able to put in three times more than last period. RRSPs
can also be used to finance pension buybacks with no penalty. If you
do not contribute the full amount in any given year, you can carry the
balance over indefinitely.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...sp/menu-e.html

Personally, this stuff gives me a headache. My wife deals with all
matters of finance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young a écrit :

> "Gabby" > wrote
>
> > Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage
> > of your income?

> Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income

>From an RRSP FAQ on CBC:

"For the 2005 tax year, people can contribute up to 18 per cent of
their earned income from the previous year, up to a maximum of
$16,500."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"alsandor" > wrote

Nancy Young a écrit :

> "Gabby" > wrote
>
> > Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set
> > percentage
> > of your income?

> Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income

>From an RRSP FAQ on CBC:

>"For the 2005 tax year, people can contribute up to 18 per cent of
>their earned income from the previous year, up to a maximum of
>$16,500."

I was just talking about the 401K plan.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"alsandor" > wrote

>Nancy Young a écrit :

>> I was just talking about the 401K plan.

>And I'm just talking about RRSPs. This has nothing to do with other
>retirement funds or Canada Pension Plan.

Whatever, I just answered a question for Gabby.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
> > Thank you for letting us know. I applaud you for being a
> > responsible parent.

> It's a little curious that I don't see the original message
> in this thread, only responses.

Quite possibly your ISP filtered it as spam. I didn't see it either.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"alsandor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Nancy Young a écrit :

> "Gabby" > wrote
>
> > Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set
> > percentage
> > of your income?

> Last I heard you could shield up to 6% of your income

>From an RRSP FAQ on CBC:

"For the 2005 tax year, people can contribute up to 18 per cent of
their earned income from the previous year, up to a maximum of
$16,500."

But that's a totally different thing. We are talking about a plan to which
your employer also constributes. I was interested in knowing how much you
could put into such a plan where it would be matched by the employer. RRSPs
are self directed.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"alsandor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Gabby a écrit :

> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage
> of
> your income? Like Michel, I'm in Canada. The company DH works for
> allows
> employees to chose from 3 levels of contributions. IIRC, 1, 2 or 3% of
> employees' wages can be invested in their pension plan, with the company
> matching the amounts. The same options (return of contributions or
> roll-over into an RRSP) are available if employee leaves/is laid off
> before
> reaching pension eligibility.

In Canada, for contributions to the federal employees' superannuation
plan (your actual retirement fund if you work within the federal
government) the contribution is fixed. An RRSP is over and above the
superannuation plan and the amount is dependent upon a calculation on
your tax return for the previous year. We also have the CPP (Canada
Pension Plan) which is a default monthly retirement payment to anyone
who reaches age 65. This amount can be subject to refund in part or in
whole in quarterly tax payments if your income from other sources is
too high, as my mother's was.

The amount eligible for RRSPs has increased considerably in the last
year, as I was able to put in three times more than last period. RRSPs
can also be used to finance pension buybacks with no penalty. If you
do not contribute the full amount in any given year, you can carry the
balance over indefinitely.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...sp/menu-e.html

Personally, this stuff gives me a headache. My wife deals with all
matters of finance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"alsandor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Gabby a écrit :

> Can you decide how much you put in to your 401K or is it a set percentage
> of
> your income? Like Michel, I'm in Canada. The company DH works for
> allows
> employees to chose from 3 levels of contributions. IIRC, 1, 2 or 3% of
> employees' wages can be invested in their pension plan, with the company
> matching the amounts. The same options (return of contributions or
> roll-over into an RRSP) are available if employee leaves/is laid off
> before
> reaching pension eligibility.

| In Canada, for contributions to the federal employees' superannuation
| plan (your actual retirement fund if you work within the federal
| government) the contribution is fixed.

Yeah, I know, DH is retired from the military.

| The amount eligible for RRSPs has increased considerably in the last
| year, as I was able to put in three times more than last period. RRSPs
| can also be used to finance pension buybacks with no penalty. If you
| do not contribute the full amount in any given year, you can carry the
| balance over indefinitely.

It certainly hasn't gone up THAT much. From a max. of 13% to a max of 18%
in about 7 years.

Gabby

I Apologize Denise~* General Cooking 1 11-01-2007 07:02 PM
I Apologize Chatty Cathy General Cooking 1 11-01-2007 07:16 AM
I Apologize notbob General Cooking 3 10-10-2006 05:10 AM
I Apologize Lynette Hebert General Cooking 4 10-10-2006 04:23 AM
I Apologize aem General Cooking 0 10-10-2006 12:41 AM