Member

Default How Long Do You Cook Shrimp On The Bbq

How Long Do You Cook Shrimp On The Bbq
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Lucan Salem wrote:

> How Long Do You Cook Shrimp On The Bbq

It varies with size of the shrimp. Here's my own number's.

On the grill: 21/25's shelled and devained take 3-4 minutes. Temp
at the grill surface around 400 F.

In the smoker: Last batch was 35 minutes at 200 F.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

> In the smoker: Last batch was 35 minutes at 200 F.

I've tried smoking shrimp but they always come out kinda rubbery. Not so
much overdone, they just have a strange texture. Brine or no brine. They
are not phosphated shrimp (at least they don't say so on the bag).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
>
>> In the smoker: Last batch was 35 minutes at 200 F.

> I've tried smoking shrimp but they always come out kinda rubbery. Not
> so much overdone, they just have a strange texture. Brine or no brine.
> They are not phosphated shrimp (at least they don't say so on the bag).
>
> -sw

Yes, texture it definitely an issue. For sure. I find the
solution is to heat/smoke them very gently. Keep the temp low
and, if possible, start it even lower and raise gradually. I
normally preheat/presmoke the cooker to around 150 F then put
in the shrimp. Gentle raise the heat and don't go much over 200 F.
Internal temp should be about 135-137 F, no more. You
don't need to measure this, but you need to stop cooking
the moment the core becomes translucent.

Brining is the way to go here. You can use what's called
a light cure. 1 1/2 t of both salt and sugar directly on
the shelled shrimp. Light rinse in one hour, then get
them completely dry. Sitting in the fridge will both
dry them and allow the salt/sugar to equalize.

Other important consideration: don't over smoke. By the
time they come out they should have a gently burnished
appearance, but not real dark. Any hint of soot and they're
ruined.

Smoked shrimp is one of the few things that just about
everyone at the party will eat. They're addictive.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Lucan Salem wrote:
> How Long Do You Cook Shrimp On The Bbq

I do them several ways, so the time varies. The "test" is when the
shrimp turn white and lose that grayish transparency. When they look
white, it's time to remove them. That's also when I apply any baste- not
before. I usually cook them on a flat skewer on a preheated grill at
high temps. That means flip at about a minute and take them off at 2-3.
FWIW, I actually used to keep a MAPP gas torch out back and when the
shrimp were removed, I'd flash them with the torch. That also works
with scallops, giving both a little blackened look to the edges and
imparting a good flavor. Nowadays, I just light the IR grill beside the
regular one and pass them over the IR grill before basting and serving.

--
Nonny

Americans grow tired of being considered
dumb by the rest of the world, so they
go to the polls to remove all doubt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
snip
> I do them several ways, so the time varies. The "test" is when the
> shrimp turn white and lose that grayish transparency. When they look
> white, it's time to remove them. That's also when I apply any baste- not
> before. I usually cook them on a flat skewer on a preheated grill at
> high temps. That means flip at about a minute and take them off at 2-3.
> FWIW, I actually used to keep a MAPP gas torch out back and when the
> shrimp were removed, I'd flash them with the torch. That also works
> with scallops, giving both a little blackened look to the edges and
> imparting a good flavor. Nowadays, I just light the IR grill beside the
> regular one and pass them over the IR grill before basting and serving.

I second Nonnymus. If rubbery it's cooked toooooooooo long.
piedmont
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> RegForte wrote:
>
> > In the smoker: Last batch was 35 minutes at 200 F.

> I've tried smoking shrimp but they always come out kinda rubbery. Not so
> much overdone, they just have a strange texture. Brine or no brine.
> They are not phosphated shrimp (at least they don't say so on the bag).

Jun grills fresh shrimp for one or two minutes a side, depending on size.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061